BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gear Oil

+3
whatbumper
richter69
geno
7 posters

Go down

Gear Oil Empty Gear Oil

Post  geno January 21st 2014, 10:52 pm

Has anyone used any synthetic gear oil in their rear ends. I was told by a guy at the track that the synthetic was too thin for the off line launches. Isn't 90 weight the same?
geno
geno

Back to top Go down

Gear Oil Empty Re: Gear Oil

Post  richter69 January 21st 2014, 11:18 pm

i use full syn 75 140 i get from work, its fine.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  geno January 21st 2014, 11:36 pm

Thanks again richter69. full synthetic will be installed. Thank you...
geno
geno

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper January 22nd 2014, 12:13 am

we run full synthetic in everything. we like it better because in our studies it stays on everything better. (Our studies means, when we take everything apart! LOL)

I dont understand people and their opinions about oils. If you get a numerically lower viscosity oil it will be thinner. But that's not what you asked. We run 75w-90 in everything from bracket racing to pro-mod.

You'll be fine.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 January 22nd 2014, 9:18 am

75W-90 full synthetic in everything I run.
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick January 23rd 2014, 5:17 pm

geno wrote:Has anyone used any synthetic gear oil in their rear ends.  I was told by a guy at the track that the synthetic was too thin for the off line launches.  Isn't 90 weight the same?

Not everyone at the track knows wtf he's talking about. For some guys, the price of admission makes one an expert. Laughing 
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 January 24th 2014, 9:20 am

maverick wrote:
geno wrote:Has anyone used any synthetic gear oil in their rear ends.  I was told by a guy at the track that the synthetic was too thin for the off line launches.  Isn't 90 weight the same?

Not everyone at the track knows wtf he's talking about. For some guys, the price of admission makes one an expert. Laughing 

You could probably sell him 100yds of flight-line.
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 25th 2014, 1:41 am

In general if we are talking basic gear wear, most any type gear lube (syn vs dino) will usually work OK for a large majority of the drag/bracket cars out there. From what I have seen over the years a surprising amount of the gear wear being blamed on using the "wrong" gear lube is really the result of either (A) the gears being set up incorrectly in the first place for the car's intended purpose, or (B) using the wrong gear material for the car's intended purpose.

The bearings on the other hand do seem to look a little better over time with the synthetic lube vs the dino lube (for me anyway).
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave February 4th 2014, 7:09 pm

Any gear oil will work. Gear oil has "shear property" as part of it's blend, that's what helps with the impact. I tried motor oil before synthetics were available (to me) and that don't work. Frees up rotation but doesn't protect the gears!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down