BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Offset ground crank strength?

+7
austin460
Bill Heard
Carl
LivermoreDave
IDT-572
res0rli9
bb429power
11 posters

Go down

Offset ground crank strength? Empty Offset ground crank strength?

Post  bb429power January 29th 2014, 10:51 pm

I bought a turnkey car a few weeks ago for a great price, the owner passed away and his friend was selling all the guys cars. Anyway, I don't have a spec sheet for the engine, I was told it is a 514. Apparently it ran 9's in another car but predicted 10's in this car because of weight difference. I got to thinking some more while at work and my boss and I are wondering if it's an aftermarket crank or an offset ground stock crank. Now it looks like the two ways to achieve a 514 combo are a 4.15 stroke/4.440 bore or a 4.30 stroke/4.360 (stock) bore. I haven't heard of an offset ground 4.30 but I have heard of it in a 4.14 stroke. I will have to measure it, but either way... Does anyone have an idea of how much power or rpm's an offset ground stock crank can handle? And could a setup like either of these been done with a stock rod or what length would be needed?

I can't wait to get this thing on the road!
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Offset ground crank strength? Empty Re: Offset ground crank strength?

Post  res0rli9 January 29th 2014, 11:41 pm

The first one I read about doing a 512 with an offset ground stock crank was Dyno Don.
So I don't thank you'll have anything to worry about.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 30th 2014, 7:18 am

I ran 6.20's on one @ 3200 lb.................. Forever with no problem
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave January 30th 2014, 11:42 am

As to strength concerns, the 4.3" and 4.5" stroke aftermarket crankshafts are popular. As Blake and res have replied you concerns should be uneventful considering normal assembly guidelines are followed. If your concerns are of overlap, I was told overlap is not a consideration until the math exceededs 4.0". Most math does although I'm not certain of the danger zone!

Overlap math as explained to me. Crankpin diameter + main journal diameter = overlap. (i.e., 2.2" + 3.0" = 5.2") Another result, 2.2" + 2.75" = 4.95". It seems in most BBF applications of size the math exceeds the "so-called" overlap concern. What's safe? Beats me!

It seems there are many 4.3" assemblies in service and I don't hear of much failure due to crankshaft concerns.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl January 30th 2014, 12:12 pm

bb429power wrote:I bought a turnkey car a few weeks ago for a great price, the owner passed away and his friend was selling all the guys cars. Anyway, I don't have a spec sheet for the engine, I was told it is a 514. Apparently it ran 9's in another car but predicted 10's in this car because of weight difference. I got to thinking some more while at work and my boss and I are wondering if it's an aftermarket crank or an offset ground stock crank. Now it looks like the two ways to achieve a 514 combo are a 4.15 stroke/4.440 bore or a 4.30 stroke/4.360 (stock) bore. I haven't heard of an offset ground 4.30 but I have heard of it in a 4.14 stroke. I will have to measure it, but either way... Does anyone have an idea of how much power or rpm's an offset ground stock crank can handle? And could a setup like either of these been done with a stock rod or what length would be needed?

More than likely, it's a 4.140 stroke with a BBC dimension 6.800 rod. As you can see in the attached link, it's going to have the most journal overlap (and strength) of any cast crank. How much will it handle? I don't personally like to use them at more than ~650HP because upgrading to a forged piece isn't that much in the big picture, but they've been proven to handle 1000+HP. At the higher power levels, duty cycle is the better question, and state of tune will play a big role as well.

http://home.earthlink.net/~highflowdynamics/highflowdynamicstechnicalpages/id3.html

Wink 

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave January 30th 2014, 12:51 pm

Thanks Carl for posting the link. Now I need educated as how the overlap is figured! Can you help, because my calculator isn't doing a good job of explaining!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Heard January 30th 2014, 1:32 pm

My Good Old Girl engine is a 472 cubic in. off set ground stock crank with 4.00 stroke. My engine builder didn't like going more than 4 in. stroke. Motor is 15 years old, been through 3 cranks and still going. Don't remember all the numbers but I think the rods are four hundred long chevy rods .015 over bore. Seems like the guys going more than 4 in were breaking cranks (drag racing).
Bill Heard
Bill Heard

Back to top Go down

Post  austin460 February 1st 2014, 5:06 am

Carl wrote:
bb429power wrote:I bought a turnkey car a few weeks ago for a great price, the owner passed away and his friend was selling all the guys cars. Anyway, I don't have a spec sheet for the engine, I was told it is a 514. Apparently it ran 9's in another car but predicted 10's in this car because of weight difference. I got to thinking some more while at work and my boss and I are wondering if it's an aftermarket crank or an offset ground stock crank. Now it looks like the two ways to achieve a 514 combo are a 4.15 stroke/4.440 bore or a 4.30 stroke/4.360 (stock) bore. I haven't heard of an offset ground 4.30 but I have heard of it in a 4.14 stroke. I will have to measure it, but either way... Does anyone have an idea of how much power or rpm's an offset ground stock crank can handle? And could a setup like either of these been done with a stock rod or what length would be needed?

More than likely, it's a 4.140 stroke with a BBC dimension 6.800 rod.  As you can see in the attached link, it's going to have the most journal overlap (and strength) of any cast crank.  How much will it handle?  I don't personally like to use them at more than ~650HP because upgrading to a forged piece isn't that much in the big picture, but they've been proven to handle 1000+HP.  At the higher power levels, duty cycle is the better question, and state of tune will play a big role as well.

http://home.earthlink.net/~highflowdynamics/highflowdynamicstechnicalpages/id3.html

Wink 

I believe the 6.7 BBC rod can be used also depending on piston pin height.
austin460
austin460

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 1st 2014, 12:34 pm

I have one offset to 4.15 usung a 6.7 rod. The 4.14 generally uses the 6.8 rod.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  68galaxie February 1st 2014, 12:41 pm

I have been using a 4.145" offset ground crank (over 10 years now) with 6.535" Crower connecting rods and Venolia pistons.
A few pistons came close to crankshaft counterweights - and easily rectified.
68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl February 1st 2014, 12:54 pm

austin460 wrote:I believe the 6.7 BBC rod can be used also depending on piston pin height.

Most commonly available pistons for 4.14 cranks are based around a 6.8 rod with a 1.420 compression height. I have no doubt a 6.7 rod (or 6.535) rod would work, it's just not as common.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power February 2nd 2014, 11:08 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys, I guess at some point I should pull the pan and see what's in there. I'd like to know how close it is to it's limit, how hard I can push it, and if I can add a little nitrous if it's too slow!
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Bret Powell February 2nd 2014, 11:26 pm

I think I'd personally rather have an offset ground Ford piece than a Chinese cast piece.

Bret

Bret Powell

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 3rd 2014, 11:50 am

Bret Powell wrote:I think I'd personally rather have an offset ground Ford piece than a Chinese cast piece.

Bret

As long as the grinder does it properly with good fillets and tolerances.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down