BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oliver BBC vs BBF rod?

+4
powerstrokeace
LivermoreDave
Lem Evans
J.Toney
8 posters

Go down

Oliver BBC vs BBF rod?  Empty Oliver BBC vs BBF rod?

Post  J.Toney February 9th 2014, 12:58 pm

Noticed on the website they sell these with the same basic dimensions. Has anyone had experience to know the differences? 
[url=http://www.oliverracingparts.com/downloads/ORP_Ford Series.pdf]http://www.oliverracingparts.com/downloads/ORP_Ford%20Series.pdf[/url][url=http://www.oliverracingparts.com/downloads/ORP_Big Block Series.pdf]http://www.oliverracingparts.com/downloads/ORP_Big%20Block%20Series.pdf[/url]
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Oliver BBC vs BBF rod?  Empty Re: Oliver BBC vs BBF rod?

Post  Lem Evans February 9th 2014, 1:06 pm

The BBF rods are 'on center'.......the bbc rods have an offset from the pin end to the crank end.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney February 9th 2014, 1:35 pm

Enough to make piston choice an issue?
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave February 9th 2014, 1:37 pm

Lem Evans wrote:The BBF rods are 'on center'.......the bbc rods have an offset from the pin end to the crank end.

The BBC dimension connecting rod's offset may or may not effect the rod/piston relation at the piston's pin boss. The BBC application can be ordered with an offset (as known to BBC application) which will allow for the rod's beam to be centered with the rod's ends. This may offer better positioning (locating center) of the rod/piston pin boss relation.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney February 9th 2014, 2:22 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:The BBF rods are 'on center'.......the bbc rods have an offset from the pin end to the crank end.

The BBC dimension connecting rod's offset may or may not effect the rod/piston relation at the piston's pin boss. The BBC application can be ordered with an offset (as known to BBC application) which will allow for the rod's beam to be centered with the rod's ends. This may offer better positioning (locating center) of the rod/piston pin boss relation.

Dave.
Did you basically just say the same thing, but a paragraph longer?
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace February 9th 2014, 2:33 pm

So in visual the chevy rod has more material on the big end of the rods. Right?

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney February 9th 2014, 2:40 pm

Didn't even occur to me...gotcha.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH February 9th 2014, 3:11 pm

powerstrokeace wrote:

Ace

No, no reason for extra weight

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 9th 2014, 4:53 pm

powerstrokeace wrote:

Ace

The big end is the same width.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 9th 2014, 5:00 pm

J.Toney wrote:Enough to make piston choice an issue?

There have been a train load of the bbc style rods used in bbf stroker engines for years but, if I was going to invest that kind of $s in a rod I'd get the most correct rod I could being that the cost is the same .

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney February 9th 2014, 6:44 pm

Lem Evans wrote:

There have been a train load of the bbc style rods used in bbf stroker engines for years but, if I was going to invest that kind of $s in a rod I'd get the most correct rod I could being that the cost is the same .
My thought also, perfect.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave February 9th 2014, 8:17 pm

Lem explains the two applications (BBF/BBC). I offer an opinion.

J.Toney wrote:
LivermoreDave wrote:

Dave.

No. If you read without prejudice you will understand Lem offers a description of a common part. I offer an option to that common part.

J.Toney wrote:

Lem Evans wrote:
powerstrokeace wrote:
Ace

J.Toney wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:

After Lem has done an excellent job of describing the BBC application and offering sound advise of part selection, one's thoughts should be perfected!

Not perfect but close,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 9th 2014, 11:13 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:Lem explains the two applications (BBF/BBC). I offer an opinion.

J.Toney wrote:
LivermoreDave wrote:

Dave.

No. If you read without prejudice you will understand Lem offers a description of a common part. I offer an option to that common part.

J.Toney wrote:

Lem Evans wrote:
powerstrokeace wrote:
Ace

J.Toney wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:

After Lem has done an excellent job of describing the BBC application and offering sound advise of part selection, one's thoughts should be perfected!

Not perfect but close,
Dave.
you need to get a job.... Retirement is giving you way to much typing time.... Laughing 
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney February 10th 2014, 12:28 am

LivermoreDave wrote:Lem explains the two applications (BBF/BBC). I offer an opinion.

J.Toney wrote:
LivermoreDave wrote:

Dave.

J.Toney wrote:

Lem Evans wrote:
powerstrokeace wrote:
Ace

J.Toney wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:

Not perfect but close,
Dave.
Ok, since we're practically on page 2 by derailing the thread into a sarcastic long-winded quote fest....you're right. I now see after I cleared myself of all my pesky reading prejudices. You are telling me, I could just get a 'BBC' rod with the factory offset taken out. Wait, did I just reiterate what you said, only in about 40 fewer words? Probably not......but it sounds good to me.  Very Happy 
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave February 10th 2014, 1:28 am

J.Toney wrote:
Ok, since we're practically on page 2 by derailing the thread into a sarcastic long-winded quote fest....you're right. I now see after I cleared myself of all my pesky reading prejudices. You are telling me, I could just get a 'BBC' rod with the factory offset taken out. Wait, did I just reiterate what you said, only in about 40 fewer words? Probably not......but it sounds good to me.  Very Happy 

It is astonishing to me after Lem"s through detailing of the BBC rod, the most common rod incorporated in BBF engine builds, it often remains confusing to some people! Reiterate, no. The offset appearance is not a "factory offset", it is appropriate to the BBC application. Now if you center the beam of an aftermarket BBC application rod, it now becomes offset as to the rod's original application. Now, I have added over 40 additional words, offered no sarcasm and once again offered a simple explanation to a part that is often misunderstood. Not prejudicial, only offering what little knowledge I have of the internal combustion engine.

Your right Dave, I didn't realize life could be so rewarding! Raising a granddaughter and becoming (at least trying) an Internet know it all.

Have we got to page 2 yet?
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney February 10th 2014, 6:44 am

I'm not astonished at all. Ok, you're right.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 10th 2014, 9:04 am

bump for another thread derailment......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 10th 2014, 11:15 am

Dave gives good long answers but,he's not a boring Novelist like someone from Calif. Shocked Very Happy 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down