BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front timing cover R&R ?

+2
Gregaust
mustang68mustangs1
6 posters

Go down

Front timing cover R&R ? Empty Front timing cover R&R ?

Post  mustang68mustangs1 February 15th 2014, 2:20 pm

I need to remove and replace the front timing cover . What is the best way to remove and put the hatchet weight back on when im done? I figure i can use a gear puller to remove it but i dont wanna pound it back on. Im putting a new water pump on and when i removed it now i notice some coolant seeping from between the timing cover. I know if i dont remove the timing cover and change the gasket its gonna bit me in the ass and ill be doing the job again!
Thanks in advance ,
Bob

mustang68mustangs1

Back to top Go down

Front timing cover R&R ? Empty Re: Front timing cover R&R ?

Post  Gregaust February 15th 2014, 3:06 pm

You need a puller for the balancer. Hatchet weight should just slide off. Will need to drop the sump down. When refitting the cover leave it loose, use the spacer to align the cover central with the front seal.
Get a hold of a balancer installer to refit. Don't use the bolt to pull it on ,can damage threads in the crank

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 February 15th 2014, 3:07 pm

Once you pull the balancer the hatch weight will slide off. It isn't pressed on. Just need to remove the key for the balancer.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 15th 2014, 7:37 pm

If it doesn't just slide off,hone it slightly when reinstalling and add a little anti and you will be happy.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang68mustangs1 February 15th 2014, 7:58 pm

Ok, i appreciate the help, i got the balancer off. The hatchet weight will slide off but how does the keyway for the balancer come off? I tried tapping it rearward lightly with a brass hammer but it aint budging. I dont have alot of room between the rad and the snout. Do i have to drop the  sump to get the cover off? I hope not because i will have to take my headers off! A simple waterpump and intake job is sure snowballing!
Bob

mustang68mustangs1

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 16th 2014, 12:31 am

They can sometimes be contankerious,might spray it w/some blaster and let it soak for a bit.Might have to use some heat. Evil or Very Mad 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang68mustangs1 February 16th 2014, 4:04 pm

Ok, got that stubborn keyway out of the way! I cleaned all the surfaces up and im gonna polish the timing cover up a bit. Intake and waterneck are going out for Nitroplate. Got some time before the weather breaks so im gonna shine this bitch up and detail a bunch of stuff. I cant wait to get this all back together. Thanks for the help!
Bob

mustang68mustangs1

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust February 17th 2014, 6:13 am

You will need to drop the sump as I mentioned to get the timing cover refitted properly. There is no other way to ensure the seal is central

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang68mustangs1 February 17th 2014, 7:28 am

Greg i honestly cant see a need to drop the sump. The cover came off so easily with lots of room to spare. It seems like there will be no problem reinstalling it.
Bob

mustang68mustangs1

Back to top Go down

Post  aquartlow February 17th 2014, 8:28 am

mustang68mustangs1 wrote:Greg i honestly cant see a need to drop the sump. The cover came off so easily with lots of room to spare. It seems like there will be no problem reinstalling it.
Bob

If I may,
 What I think Gregaust  is trying to explain is that when you re-install the front timing cover with the oil sump/pan left in place, sometimes the new gaskets and the new timing cover/oil pan's rubber seal pushes upward on the timing cover and not allowing the crankshaft seal that is installed in the timing cover to be centered on the crankshaft/crankshaft spacer. If this happens the harmonic balancer spacer will be too tight going back in, smash the bottom lip of the crankshaft seal and possibly leave a gap between the seal's lip and spacer at the upper most portion(both conditions will cause a pretty good leak). Basically you need to make sure the timing cover's crankshaft seal is centered on the crankshaft before fully torqueing down bolts, sometimes that involves loosening the pan to ensure that the seal lasts and doesn't leak, sometimes you can just re-install cover and it is centered perfectly(just not with my luck  Mad ). At least I hope this is what Gregaust was trying to convey in his previous post(in not so many words of course). Good luck. Todd
aquartlow
aquartlow

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang68mustangs1 February 17th 2014, 10:37 am

That makes sense now. I hope i dont have to take the sump loose cause i know it will tear the gasket and ill have to take these multipiece puzzle headers off to replace the gasket.
Bob

mustang68mustangs1

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf February 17th 2014, 2:38 pm

mustang68mustangs1 wrote:That makes sense now. I hope i dont have to take the sump loose cause i know it will tear the gasket and ill have to take these multipiece puzzle headers off to replace the gasket.
Bob

You don't need much, 1/8" maybe. Just loosen all the bolts (the front a little more than the back) and drop the front a smidge. I have never been able to change a timing cover without lowering the pan but that is just my experience. You can push the timing cover back without loosening the pan but the holes won't line up as it will be too high plus what was mentioned in the previous post. Just get a long extension and some universal joints to get to those hard to reach bolts.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum