BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Putting together an engine with what I have laying around. Have some questions.

2 posters

Go down

Putting together an engine with what I have laying around. Have some questions. Empty Putting together an engine with what I have laying around. Have some questions.

Post  Minnesota_Duane February 19th 2014, 2:21 pm

I'm looking to put together an engine from parts I already have laying around.

M-6049-SCJB heads with Ferra 6000 Valves 2.25/1.76 and springs for a .750 lift solid roller.

Victor 460 with a 4500 flange

Scat H beam rods 6.605"

Probe flat tops 10661-060 Will these pistons work with the heads I have? Is notching them cost effective or should I switch?

Comp liffters and a Reed roller cam .593/.623 253/264@.050 with the proper springs for this cam.

I have a 4 bolt CJ block and a few other 429/460 blocks, that I can use.

I also have a Dooley V-drive 14 quart pan would this work if I switched the direction of the trap door?

What CFM carb would you run?

What primary header size? I have a set of Fox body headers that have 1 7/8" Tubes and 4" collectors. This will be going into a tube chassis Pinto Wagon and I think the headers will clear.

What could I expect out of this for power?
I know it's not going to rotate the earth but will be good enough to sort out the car for now.

Minnesota_Duane
Minnesota_Duane

Back to top Go down

Putting together an engine with what I have laying around. Have some questions. Empty Re: Putting together an engine with what I have laying around. Have some questions.

Post  IDT-572 February 19th 2014, 4:04 pm

1050 on the carb, 2 inch min primary tube on the headers. It will be a 473 inch engine.

You have good rods and pistons , the crank is good to go, you need to put more cam in it to make the most of your heads. Also make sure to bowl blend those heads for a big pick up in power.

Cam with something in the mid to high 260's with 8 to 10 degrees of split and ground on a 110 if your car is light 108 if heavy.

This is all ball park numbers so read them as such..............
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Putting together an engine with what I have laying around. Have some questions. Empty Re: Putting together an engine with what I have laying around. Have some questions.

Post  Minnesota_Duane February 22nd 2014, 12:33 pm

Thanks for the reply IDT572,
I still need to know if the pistons would need to be notched? I was wondering what it cost to have the heads cnc ported and do any of the vendors offer the service? Also what are the usual gains.
Minnesota_Duane
Minnesota_Duane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down