BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grounds......or just burn it?

5 posters

Go down

Grounds......or just burn it?  Empty Grounds......or just burn it?

Post  Foxfire85 February 23rd 2014, 1:33 pm

I've been trolling for a while on here but figured it was about time to get a second opinion on my rust bucket. I know this is something that's more or less been beaten to death but I wanted to run it by the seasoned pros and see if my plan of attack is bueno.

I have an 87 fox, 460/c6, ported polished c8ve heads, larger valves installed, weiand stealth intake, hooker super comp headers, comp cams 530 lift(both sides) 280 duration cam, proform 850 carb. It's warm but it's not hot. Having hot start issues (I know, I know). Out an optima in it. No bueno. Have a high output alternator on order as I'm sure it's still running the original 4cyl alternator. But I was checking for grounds yesterday, and low and behold, the only ground that I saw was battery to chassis (thanks the the previous owner), go figure. And that thing gets scorching hot. Going to have the starter rebuilt by a local guy who garantees the factory starter to be as good or better than a high torque unit by the time he's done.....we'll see. But.......grounds.

So my plan of attack is to run another ground from battery to cylinder head, block to chassis, and possibly a starter to negative battery terminal (or chassis???). I knew I was having ground problems when I turned the lights and the heat on and the holley black sounded like it was pumping molasses.

P.s. I don't believe it's a timing problem. Timing is set at around 10* so I really can't see that being the issue.

Thanks fellas!!!
Foxfire85
Foxfire85

Back to top Go down

Grounds......or just burn it?  Empty Re: Grounds......or just burn it?

Post  richter69 February 23rd 2014, 1:59 pm

can never have enough grounds, I run chassis grounds but I also run floating grounds to everything.... do not trust the rusty ass frame to be enough.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Foxfire85 February 23rd 2014, 2:59 pm

richter69 wrote:can never have enough grounds, I run chassis grounds but I also run floating grounds to everything.... do not trust the rusty ass frame to be enough.

Cool. Thanks boss. I'm going to ground it's eyeballs out. Hopefully all these provisions will take care of my issues. I've got the starter wrapped as well so hopefully I'm not dealing with heat soak issues as well, but we all know how close fox headers are to the starter. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Foxfire85
Foxfire85

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. February 23rd 2014, 4:18 pm

I wouldn't wrap the starter. The wrap will also keep it from cooling off.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 February 23rd 2014, 10:48 pm

Dave C. wrote:I wouldn't wrap the starter. The wrap will also keep it from cooling off.

X2 add a heat shield if it is getting heat soaked from headers
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bowsher21 February 24th 2014, 12:51 am

I drove myself nuts looking for a bad ground on a truck, turned out to be the positive battery cable connector was getting hot.
bowsher21
bowsher21

Back to top Go down

Post  Foxfire85 February 24th 2014, 6:48 pm

Fellas, I ran grounds out the wazoo today. I didn't get to mess with it too much after because I had to head to work but i drove it, ran it up to around 180-190 degrees, shut it off, and it started with some authority about 4 times in a row at those temperatures. It only hesitated once because the electric fan was on when I engaged the starter. So all in all, I wouldn't say it's totally cured, but at least it starts and I can run the heat without the fuel pump bogging down now.

Still have to get the h.o. Alternator on it and I reckon I'll work on fabbing up a heat shield for the starter and ditch the wrap since that seems the be the general consensus here. I'll try anything once, and if I like it, maybe a few more times lol.

Thanks fellas.
Foxfire85
Foxfire85

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down