BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super stock

+10
David Cole
cletus66
bbf-falcon
5pointslow
LivermoreDave
Beast
rmcomprandy
dfree383
Dave C.
STR-LGL-70
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Super stock - Page 2 Empty Re: Super stock

Post  STR-LGL-70 February 27th 2014, 2:48 pm

Thanks Ken,
The car is not cut on at all, just missing fenders, doors & clutch pedal assembly before I rescued it. I already picked up a replacement clutch pedal assembly & have a top loader but for a small block. I think I can just change the input shaft?
As far as the class you mentioned, do the heads have to remain as cast?
Thanks, Sheldon
STR-LGL-70
STR-LGL-70

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 27th 2014, 7:25 pm

Stock eliminator is a animal unto itself, you need to go read the nhra rules and requirements real close. They are pretty strict.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 28th 2014, 4:51 am

bbf-falcon wrote:Anytime you go SS racing it will be pricey. It takes a lot of Know how,tricks,dynoing,tuning,and the right car and weight brake,etc. SS racers are savey racers and the competitive ones are at the top of their game.Probably 10 times more expensive to go SS racing or more than Bracket racing imo.
Yes Sir! Know Alot, Spend Alot or Loose Alot. It's like playing with Card Sharks, not for everyone. I hear some guys like bending the rules a little too.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 28th 2014, 11:22 am

supervel45 wrote:
                        I hear some guys like bending the rules a little too.

Just until they go fast enough to visit the "tear down" barn.   lol! 
For some reason, no one really cares if the guy finishing in 30th place is cheating.

At ATCO drag strip on a day of a Stock, Super Stock record meet I was having breakfast with several top Super Stock racers and the difference between the serious ones and the others were put into perspective for me that morning. Of course we were discussing going fast what it takes for record times and it was said by someone that being posted in the back pages of National Dragster as a record holder is nice however, it is much more gratifying to be shown on the cover as a meet eliminator WINNER.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave February 28th 2014, 2:05 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
At ATCO drag strip on a day of a Stock, Super Stock record meet I was having breakfast with several top Super Stock racers and the difference between the serious ones and the others were put into perspective for me that morning. Of course we were discussing going fast what it takes for record times and it was said by someone that being posted in the back pages of National Dragster as a record holder is nice however, it is much more gratifying to be shown on the cover as a meet eliminator WINNER.

Well said, in a polite way Randy! After reading your post, it brought to mind when I visited Kuntz and Craft (before the split) most weeks and was allowed to look over a shoulder or two. The NHRA Stocker guys who were customers of Jim and Keith would spend small fortunes on minute performance gains! It seemed that the ink or ego's were as much an importance as the car's ability to perform. I'm not jealous of these extraordinary men, it seems they have a lot of loose money!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Kens429 February 28th 2014, 10:27 pm

Sheldon, porting, polishing, cutting, welding, epoxy filling are not allowed. You can run aftermarket stock size stainless valves with any valve job. Aftermarket springs and roller rockers are now legal. The big gains in power come from shortblock drag reduction, oil control, camshaft improvements, and ultra efficient 60ft. You'll need to 60ft. in the mid to low 1.30's on a 9" slick. Some stockers are in the very low 1.20's now!
Ken
Kens429
Kens429

Back to top Go down

Post  STR-LGL-70 March 1st 2014, 8:45 am

Thanks Ken,
 The S.S. cars are over performers for sure with what they are given to work with! Sounds like something I need to stay away from to be realistic and just focus on my '70 for now. Just got to thinking about the 71 Mach in my back garage and it's potential for down the road. My DOOE-R heads are ported already and would not be legal regardless.
 Love your Falcon; my 1st car was a 70 Ranchero GT black w/red laser stripes, red interior, M code, 3 speed on column and 3.00 rear gear. Probably not too many of them produced. My oldest son has a 71 Torino 500 that will probably get changed from the 302 2v to a Cleveland.
Sheldon
STR-LGL-70
STR-LGL-70

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans March 1st 2014, 12:59 pm

STR-LGL-70 wrote:Thanks Ken,
 The S.S. cars are over performers for sure with what they are given to work with! Sounds like something I need to stay away from to be realistic and just focus on my '70 for now. Just got to thinking about the 71 Mach in my back garage and it's potential for down the road. My DOOE-R heads are ported already and would not be legal regardless.
 Love your Falcon; my 1st car was a 70 Ranchero GT black w/red laser stripes, red interior, M code, 3 speed on column and 3.00 rear gear. Probably not too many of them produced. My oldest son has a 71 Torino 500 that will probably get changed from the 302 2v to a Cleveland.
Sheldon

Your ported DOOE-R heads would not be legal for Stock Eliminator, but they would be legal for Super Stock Eliminator. HOWEVER, there are volume limits on the allowed porting in Super Stock. That's given in the Engine Blueprints Section of the NHRA rules. Often times those volume limits are exceeded in the process of porting, but then the floors of the ports are filled with epoxy in order to reduce the volume and bring it back down within the allowable specs.

Again in Super Stock the rules say you have to run stainless steel valves, no titanium valves. During tech teardown the material of the valves is checked. However the weight of the S S valves is not a measured tech item,,,so the game plan is to run hollow stem S S valves, which are lighter. Naturally they are more expensive.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave March 1st 2014, 1:26 pm

c.evans wrote:
Your ported DOOE-R heads would not be legal for Stock Eliminator, but they would be legal for Super Stock Eliminator. HOWEVER, there are volume limits on the allowed porting in Super Stock.  That's given in the Engine Blueprints Section of the NHRA rules.  Often times those volume limits are exceeded in the process of porting, but then the floors of the ports are filled with epoxy in order to reduce the volume and bring it back down within the allowable specs.  

Again in Super Stock the rules say you have to run stainless steel valves, no titanium valves. During tech teardown the material of the valves is checked.  However the weight of the S S valves is not a measured tech item,,,so the game plan is to run hollow stem S S valves, which are lighter.  Naturally they are more expensive.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

..... and on the exhaust port/runner, the exhaust flange surface is milled (material removed) to lessen the exhaust runner volume. Charlie knew this he just forgot to post it, an "old fart" thing!

Colin Wigle visits the site from time to time, he can offer excellent advise as to the expense of a competitive NHRA S/S Ford 385 CJ/SCJ Series engine.

...  Rolling Eyes  ...
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans March 1st 2014, 1:42 pm

Maybe I forgot that, and maybe I didn't forget that. Maybe I just didn't want to tell some of the secrets that various engine builders use to skirt around the rules. Twisted Evil 

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 1st 2014, 5:19 pm

c.evans wrote:Maybe I forgot that, and maybe I didn't forget that. Maybe I just didn't want to tell some of the secrets that various engine builders use to skirt around the rules. Twisted Evil 

Charlie

The Chrysler HEMI guys are changing the angle and taking a half inch off the intake flange surface. Sheet metal intake manifolds are legal in Super Stock so, they just make the intake manifold fit their purpose.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave March 1st 2014, 11:36 pm

Not a secret anymore ..... Secret Agent Man! ...  study  ...

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 2nd 2014, 12:16 am

So what kind of horse power does a top SS 429SCJ produce?http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220/thread/1121829661/nhra+stock-super+stock+motors Looks about like it did in 2005, tough competion and expensive, like it always been.

Last edited by supervel45 on March 2nd 2014, 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 2nd 2014, 1:51 am

http://www.nhra.net/stats/ss_record.html Record Holders

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 2nd 2014, 2:29 am

supervel45 wrote:So what kind of horse power does a top SS 429SCJ produce?http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220/thread/1121829661/nhra+stock-super+stock+motors  Looks about like it did in 2005, tough competion and expensive, like it always been.

These days, between 765 and 790 however, the horsepower hangs-on well after it peaks.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2