BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

O.K. final stretch for build, need input please.

+3
dfree383
c.evans
Tennessee Bullitt
7 posters

Go down

O.K. final stretch for build, need input please. Empty O.K. final stretch for build, need input please.

Post  Tennessee Bullitt November 6th 2009, 11:02 pm

Ok it seems all is said and done. Now comes time to assemble my motor. Here is the build........

466 cu in
Weiand tunnel ram port matched to SCJ heads
[2] holley 4160 600 cfm carbs with vaccum secondarys
assembled Kasse SCJ-a heads unported
diamond or probe srs Forged flatop pistons [ 11.7 : 1 compression ] it will be a couple of weeks till i have them.
Eagle 6.605 h beam rods
factory 10/10 internal balanced crank
d1ve block speced to my build
3,000 stall

I am still up in the air on my cam selection, I want to run some nitrous and I need to know on how much can I spray before I need to worry about ring material or when the gap will be set to much to be worth anything to dirve N/A. So far 100 to 150 shot is what I am shooting for but mabe up to a 200 but that will cap it for me.

My cam selection is more than likely going to be a hydralic, but I am not going to rule out a solid. What I have looked at so far is the Ford Racing C460 cam or a Lunati cam I was looking at. My question for the cam is how much duration would I need to go about 6,500 to 7,000 RPM's? I was told from ford racing that the c460 cam would do about 6200 rpm's, no idea on that. Here is the Lunati hydralic cam......

284/292 adv duration
241/249 @.050
.582/600 lift
110 lsa

They say this cam will go to 6,600 rpms.
If any of you guys other recomendations I am open to having some more ideas.

Next question is how bad will 1 7/8 headders hurt my engine, would I need to have at least a 2in tube.

Thanks
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

O.K. final stretch for build, need input please. Empty Re: O.K. final stretch for build, need input please.

Post  c.evans November 7th 2009, 2:04 am

I will tell you that you need to run at least a 2" header, or a 2" stepped to 2.125", or just a straight 2.125" header. Anything smaller is choking those SCJ heads. On my 533 engine with fully ported heads, we ran Fab Shop 2.125" stepped to 2.250" headers.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

O.K. final stretch for build, need input please. Empty Re: O.K. final stretch for build, need input please.

Post  dfree383 November 7th 2009, 3:48 pm

Unless it's a street only build the carbs are way to small, you leaving alot of power on the table. You'll be better served by a victor and a 1050 rather than a pair of 4160's
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce November 7th 2009, 5:18 pm

I was just wondering about using vacuum secondary carbs on a tunnel ram. Will you be able to achieve a decent enough vacuum signal to pull the secondary's open? I'm still running a Weiand tunnel ram on my 460 Model A coupe, and until I switched over to mechanical secondary's, it would stumble badly and never really felt like it was working all that well. I did the old "back yard modification" and put screws and nuts in the secondary linkage and it was like a different car! Just my thoughts.

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt November 8th 2009, 11:29 am

how would the carbs be to small or is it because of it's design? I know 2 4150's would be better but I decided to list this as I planed it and go fro there. I still need to by carbs. This whole steup was to have a sold plan and change accordingly as I went. I ditched the big stroker for a serious topend setup. I was going to find the best for what I want. Thanks to Lem he helped me as far as the heads so I went ahead and bought complete heads due to the discussion about flow even all the way down how the valves where cut. I was starting at something simple as vaccum type carb and go from there. I did go to our big swap meet yesterday and ran into one of my old buddies that has a QFT 1050 dominator I can get for $500. It is almost brand new. I am thinking about that as well.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 8th 2009, 2:36 pm

Bullit just remember if you go to the SCJ heads they have different valve placement then the Factory heads... I also think any 460 will like a 1050 verses a 4150 some reason these engine like big carbs...

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 8th 2009, 8:09 pm

if your only giving you self 600-4160's as an option don't waste your time with the TR, Get the dominator and a victor. You will hate yourself trying to get those things to work properly and you'll end up having more $$$ in them than your thinking.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt November 8th 2009, 8:16 pm

Thanks for the info on that. I guess I can put the tunnel ram up untill later with bigger and better carbs or sell it. I will get a hold of my buddy and get my hands on that 1050 QFT dominator. Yes I already got the SCJ heads.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt November 8th 2009, 8:26 pm

What do you guys think of these 2 cams? Both are solid....

Lunati Luntai
.623 intake/ .649 exhaust lift .649 intake/ .649 exhaust lift
282 intake/ 290 exhaust advertised duration 290 intake/ 298 ehaust advertised duration
249 intake/ 257 exhaust @ .050 257 intake/ 265 exhaust @ .050
110 LSA 110 LSA
2,800-7,000 rpms 3,000-7,200 rpms

Which one would you say would be better for my 466 but would still be great with nitrous.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 8th 2009, 8:38 pm

Call Lem or Randy up and have something ground up specificly for what your doing.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 8th 2009, 8:46 pm

7,000-7200 rpm with those cams Shocked Mfr's. bull i.m.o.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt November 8th 2009, 8:48 pm

I was going to call Lem tomorrow, I was curious if thes cams would be any good. Thanks for the help D and coug.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  racerk_2000 November 9th 2009, 8:45 am

Where in Tennessee are you? I live a little south of Nashville. What is this motor going in and what are you going to do with it? If you have posted that already, sorry I missed it.

I have seen your questions. Listen to what the guys here are saying. Drop the tunnel ram idea and go with a single dominator. I have enough diffilculty dealing with, and tuning and getting one carburator right, so don't multiply it by 2. The sugestion to go to one of the more experienced engine builders for a cam recomendation is also a wise idea. The guys on here know what the heads flow and what these big Fords like. I will be buying a new cam and that is exaxtly what I am going to do.
Just trying to help with my 2 cents.

Kevin
Still Stuck In Kirkuk Iraq

racerk_2000

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt November 9th 2009, 9:26 am

I am up here in clarksville.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum