BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emergency brake

+4
whatbumper
Copperhead
bbf-falcon
HorsinAround
8 posters

Go down

Emergency brake Empty Emergency brake

Post  HorsinAround April 3rd 2014, 2:15 pm

Do you guys install an emergency brake on your drag cars? Just trying to decide if Im going to install the ebrake drums shoes in my 8.8 or not.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Emergency brake Empty Re: Emergency brake

Post  bbf-falcon April 3rd 2014, 3:16 pm

Not me.I really don't even have one on my work car.lol

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead April 3rd 2014, 3:39 pm

No E-brake on mine.

BUT,.....
I do plan to install a Chute real soon,..........does that count?

Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround April 3rd 2014, 4:06 pm

Only if you deploy it before you discover you need it lol
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper April 3rd 2014, 4:10 pm

No emergency brakes.

Use a chute every pass. Its just a good habit.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE April 4th 2014, 2:27 am

There's really no reason to use an emergency brake/parking brake setup on a race only car that never sees any street use. But if it's a "street/strip" combo that will actually see street use, and will need an inspection sticker, an E-brake setup might be needed to get the sticker depending on what state you're in.

For example an independent E-brake/parking brake setup (that doesn't rely on the hydraulic brake system to apply it) is required to pass inspection & get a sticker in Texas (IIRC).
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 April 4th 2014, 4:01 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:There's really no reason to use an emergency brake/parking brake setup on a race only car that never sees any street use. But if it's a "street/strip" combo that will actually see street use, and will need an inspection sticker, an E-brake setup might be needed to get the sticker depending on what state you're in.

For example an independent E-brake/parking brake setup (that doesn't rely on the hydraulic brake system to apply it) is required to pass inspection & get a sticker in Texas (IIRC).
SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIi Don't remind them they may rember to check it. Razz 

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround April 4th 2014, 9:19 am

I brought this up because the closest track to me is 1/8 mile, and I have heard about a vehicle that had a brake line failure and he went through the sand trap, through the fence and onto the road, fortunately no one was hurt.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 April 4th 2014, 9:50 am

It seems like an emeregy brake with drums does not have much stopping power, but I guess if you combine it with downshifts, it's better than nothing. If you have a manual valve body, or one that will grab 1st at any speed, don't get excited and go from drive to low. I did that once on a pass durning a brake failure. I was lucky, and it only did minor damage to a rim and rear control arm. I will not mention the rest of the story, but it could have gone alot wore, and an emergy brake would not of helped in this case.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE April 4th 2014, 9:58 am

HorsinAround wrote:I brought this up because the closest track to me is 1/8 mile, and I have heard about a vehicle that had a brake line failure and he went through the sand trap, through the fence and onto the road, fortunately no one was hurt.

At first glance using an E-brake on a drag car as a backup for the hyd braking system might sound like a good idea. But having the brakes fail on a pass, & then suddenly locking up the rear tires & spinning the car around & around because you grabbed/stomped the E-brake too hard is the last thing you want to do.

On the other hand disabling the emergency/parking brake's ratchet-locking system so it's super easy to lockup the rear tires at will & do some Dukes Of Hazzard 180* power slides is kinda fun.  Twisted Evil
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Emergency brake Empty E- Brake

Post  747JetMech April 4th 2014, 11:55 am

My cars are driven on the street so I made sure it works..

A long time ago....

My Maverick sat all winter long. Jumped in it for a spin down the street and a cruise down the main drag. I was a nice day so with no one around, I opened it up a little. Coasting up to traffic, I went to stop......... Pedal went to the floor. Cars at stop light, curbs and no dam brakes..... I was able to sneak it around the corner between traffic and the curb.

That feeling will never go away. I might even put a neutral safety switch in it for my kid when he takes over. Its a stick car.

747JetMech
747JetMech

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra April 4th 2014, 9:23 pm

Never had the brakes fail on the track but have on the street a few times , one thing that scared me was the nos switch sticking open when I lifted over the line once , it was only 10.80's but still I ended up in the grass between the track and return road cause I had to kill it with the key which locked the wheel  Mad Nothing got damaged tho but my racing pants  Laughing 
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum