BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying nitrous again after engine damage

+5
10SHOTS
whatbumper
4thHorseman
69bluehotrod
Larry T
9 posters

Go down

Trying nitrous again after engine damage Empty Trying nitrous again after engine damage

Post  10SHOTS May 6th 2014, 8:11 pm

I'm going to try nitrous again big shot plate
78n 67f jets pulling 12 degrees timing
Pulled from 34  , 22 total 5.25 fuel pressure also thought about
82n 71f jets pulling 13  , do you guys think that's enough spread ?
I think I had 104n 95f with 17 degrees total timing when I lifted ring
Lands , the cam is 280-292 on a 112 lobe sep , 14.1 , 210
Cranking compression, 562 CID or I could use a 80n 67f jet
10SHOTS
10SHOTS

Back to top Go down

Trying nitrous again after engine damage Empty Re: Trying nitrous again after engine damage

Post  Larry T May 6th 2014, 10:35 pm

rich conditions,off and on the throttle is what usually lifts the rings.
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

Trying nitrous again after engine damage Empty Re: Trying nitrous again after engine damage

Post  69bluehotrod May 7th 2014, 1:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6UnHVBsjM&feature=youtu.be (5.16 @134 ) 85 n & 73 f
18* total timing
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://rainbowvacuumsalesservice.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman May 8th 2014, 5:07 pm

That first tune up you listed sounds decent I think. I'd still start smaller myself on the jets . But I'm overkill cautious. I might run a total of 18 degrees with that 78N first pass and adjust from there. Plugs will tell the story if it's happy or not. Write everything down each pass. Best of luck.

4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper May 8th 2014, 5:21 pm

It's hard to give a tune up over the internet not knowing facts but I will tell you this. Most issues that we see at the track are guys that are waaaay too rich and overtimed. They do this to be "safe".

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  10SHOTS May 8th 2014, 9:01 pm

whatbumper wrote:It's hard to give a tune up over the internet not knowing facts but I will tell you this.  Most issues that we see at the track are guys that are waaaay too rich and overtimed.  They do this to be "safe".
over timed meaning there to not pulling enough timing out ?
10SHOTS
10SHOTS

Back to top Go down

Post  10SHOTS May 8th 2014, 9:03 pm

69bluehotrod wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6UnHVBsjM&feature=youtu.be (5.16 @134 ) 85 n & 73 f
18* total timing
How much fuel pressure ?
10SHOTS
10SHOTS

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper May 8th 2014, 9:25 pm

10SHOTS wrote:
whatbumper wrote:It's hard to give a tune up over the internet not knowing facts but I will tell you this.  Most issues that we see at the track are guys that are waaaay too rich and overtimed.  They do this to be "safe".
over timed meaning there to not pulling enough timing out ?
Correct

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing May 9th 2014, 11:54 am

I may be missing it some whewe but what fuel are you running ?? We ahd a car tned on vp 116 had run it at 8 different races. The owner ran out of gas. bought renagaid 116. we told him not to but he left the same tune in it. It melted down the 2 ed pass. Prob would have the first pass but it shook the tires loose. Just saying fuel makes all the difference in the world.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 May 9th 2014, 12:13 pm

dr's wife racing wrote: Just saying fuel makes all the difference in the world.

Ain't that the truth
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  69bluehotrod May 9th 2014, 3:02 pm

10SHOTS wrote:
69bluehotrod wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6UnHVBsjM&feature=youtu.be (5.16 @134 ) 85 n & 73 f
18* total timing
How much fuel pressure ?

5.5psi, sorry should have put that up for you.
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://rainbowvacuumsalesservice.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  10SHOTS May 9th 2014, 3:12 pm

Sonoco 116 maximal , my bother has been running it for 3 years with a 300 shot fogger on a 445 small block without any problems
10SHOTS
10SHOTS

Back to top Go down

Post  Induction-Solutions May 13th 2014, 3:48 pm

10SHOTS wrote:I'm going to try nitrous again big shot plate

I'm not sure if anyone know what cylinder head your running or not here ??? But that as well as a few other things can play a big part in your results and tunes here ???

Here's my opinion for what it's worth....

Just based on what is here this is NOT a nitrous friendly build. 14 to 1 compression, 210 cranking compression, and based on cam specs too. Not to mention I have yet to hear the chamber size and quench info ???

Based on the thread I'm guessing you have not had the best luck with nitrous so far ?? And you do not even have a tune you know to be a safe starting point ??? That all being said here's what I would do, start SMALL. Walk before you run. That way if you fall it doesn't hurt as bad.. Wink If you do not want to have the system flowed and get good clean tunes maybe take a look here..

http://inductionsolutions.com/forums/showthread.php?1418-Tune-ups-for-NOS-Big-Shot-and-Cheater-Plate-kit

This is a little info I put together because I always have guys looking for a general starting point. Is It as good as if we flow the system, NO. Is it better the the NOS or factory tunes out there, YES.

Timing is really the make or break to these engines guys. Timing (being over timed) can also be the cause of lifted ringlands too. Regardless of what some seem to think or say. Wink

Anyway, it's not what you want to hear, but if I were you and your just looking to throw another tune in and let it eat... I would start at no more then 150 HP and make a few runs. Learn about where your at on timing and work up from there. Two times to the track learning will be better then one time to the track burning..  Twisted Evil 

Hope this all makes sense.. SJ

Brooksville, Fl. 34604
Shop 352-593-5900
Cell 815-341-8853
www.InductionSolutions.com
Induction-Solutions
Induction-Solutions
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

http://www.InductionSolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  10SHOTS May 14th 2014, 11:57 am

[quote="Induction-Solutions"]
10SHOTS wrote:I'm going to try nitrous again big shot plate

I'm not sure if anyone know what cylinder head your running or not here ??? But that as well as a few other things can play a big part in your results and tunes here ???

Here's my opinion for what it's worth....

Just based on what is here this is NOT a nitrous friendly build. 14 to 1 compression, 210 cranking compression, and based on cam specs too. Not to mention I have yet to hear the chamber size and quench info ???

Based on the thread I'm guessing you have not had the best luck with nitrous so far ?? And you do not even have a tune you know to be a safe starting point ??? That all being said here's what I would do, start SMALL. Walk before you run. That way if you fall it doesn't hurt as bad.. Wink If you do not want to have the system flowed and get good clean tunes maybe take a look here..

http://inductionsolutions.com/forums/showthread.php?1418-Tune-ups-for-NOS-Big-Shot-and-Cheater-Plate-kit

This is a little info I put together because I always have guys looking for a general starting point. Is It as good as if we flow the system, NO. Is it better the the NOS or factory tunes out there, YES.

Timing is really the make or break to these engines guys. Timing (being over timed) can also be the cause of lifted ringlands too. Regardless of what some seem to think or say. Wink

Anyway, it's not what you want to hear, but if I were you and your just looking to throw another tune in and let it eat... I would start at no more then 150 HP and make a few runs. Learn about where your at on timing and work up from there. Two times to the track learning will be better then one time to the track burning..  Twisted Evil 

Hope this all makes sense.. SJ[/quote

I'm using your side exit .120 N solenoid big shot plate with the stainless bars for a dominator
I have tfs standard valve location c&c 325cc intake runner heads with a 80cc c&c chamber , pistons have a 7cc dome , pistons are .010 in the hole with a .045 thick cometic gasket
Thanks for the info that you give
10SHOTS
10SHOTS

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 May 14th 2014, 5:38 pm

I found it cheaper to send to Steve and let him get it right.Put it on set fuel psi with his tool then allow right amount timing for nitrous you going to use then hold on.It cheaper than blowing engines and easier for someone like me.Hell I even walk around track like im a bad ass nitrous guru lol. Very Happy
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down