BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

powervalve ?

5 posters

Go down

powervalve ? Empty powervalve ?

Post  Darrin Gorham May 11th 2014, 10:42 am

I have a 466 14 to 1 , mild big valve doves,265-275 @050 . Carb is a 1050  with 92 square jets no powervalve. Car runs good  on street  about 100 miles so far and running 110 Sunoco. I live about 3 miles from Pacific raceways and want to drive there and the prostreet class. Is it going to gobble the fuel the same with a powervalve and what a 84 jet in the primary. At 60 mph its cruising at 3000 rpm.

Darrin Gorham

Back to top Go down

powervalve ? Empty Re: powervalve ?

Post  Dave De May 11th 2014, 11:01 am

When jetted properly it should be equal to using a PV for cruising. The best way to go is to use adjustable vacuum advance then when you're at the track disconnect it.
What a treat to be 3 miles away. Brings back memories of loading up the stuff in the trunk and heading to the track.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Darrin Gorham May 12th 2014, 12:25 am

Thanks Dave, trying to make to the track Wednesday for 1st t&t and read the plugs. Im thinking of a wideband for the future.

Darrin Gorham

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman May 13th 2014, 9:53 am

I respectfully disagree but I'm open to learning something new if I'm incorrect.  study 

I understand power valves opened when the engine vacuum was <= the pv rating. So if you keep your foot out of it as in a cruising situation, you're running on the idle and main circuits and can be 8 to 10 jet sizes leaner than if you ran no pv's at all. In my mind, smaller jets for cruising on your engine = less fuel consumed. I put pv's in the dual carb setup on my street driven blown '32 and I did see a slight increase in mpg. Mainly concerning highway runs. Slight.... no miracles.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick May 13th 2014, 11:51 am

If I was 3 miles from my track and wanted to drive my racecar there, I figure I'd be willing to sacrifice a little bit of fuel economy on a 6 mile round trip. A racecar doesn't need (or want) power valves IMO, and I think it'll race better without.them. So I guess it boils down to "Is this a street machine or a racecar?" At 14 to 1...I'm guessing the latter.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman May 13th 2014, 12:44 pm

maverick wrote:If I was 3 miles from my track and wanted to drive my racecar there, I figure I'd be willing to sacrifice a little bit of fuel economy on a 6 mile round trip.  A racecar doesn't need (or want) power valves IMO, and I think it'll race better without.them.  So I guess it boils down to "Is this a street machine or a racecar?"  At 14 to 1...I'm guessing the latter.

I agree. A dedicated drag car has no need for pv's. And at 6 miles round trip, you won't see a difference in your wallet.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  Darrin Gorham May 14th 2014, 12:43 am

Thanks for the replies! I have driven about 100 miles so far . It by far gulped the fuel on a 10 mile stretch of freeway at 60 mph at 3000 rpm.

Darrin Gorham

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick May 14th 2014, 8:47 am

Darrin Gorham wrote: Thanks for the replies! I have driven about 100 miles so far . It  by far gulped the fuel on a 10 mile stretch of freeway at 60 mph at 3000 rpm.

Such is life with high performance BBF's. Smile  If one's goal is fuel efficiency, he's got the wrong hobby. Laughing  Enjoy.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 14th 2014, 10:16 am

maverick wrote: If I was 3 miles from my track and wanted to drive my racecar there, I figure I'd be willing to sacrifice a little bit of fuel economy on a 6 mile round trip.  A racecar doesn't need (or want) power valves IMO, and I think it'll race better without.them.  So I guess it boils down to "Is this a street machine or a racecar?"  At 14 to 1...I'm guessing the latter.

I am sure that instead of meaning RACECAR you meant to convey DRAG RACER.

MANY type of RACECAR's use power valves to a large advantage.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick May 14th 2014, 10:21 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
maverick wrote: If I was 3 miles from my track and wanted to drive my racecar there, I figure I'd be willing to sacrifice a little bit of fuel economy on a 6 mile round trip.  A racecar doesn't need (or want) power valves IMO, and I think it'll race better without.them.  So I guess it boils down to "Is this a street machine or a racecar?"  At 14 to 1...I'm guessing the latter.

I am sure that instead of meaning RACECAR you meant to convey DRAG RACER.

MANY type of RACECAR's use power valves to a large advantage.

So true. Thanks for the qualifier, Randy. (I do tend to think of racecars as straight line machines.)
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down