BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommended modifications

3 posters

Go down

Recommended modifications Empty Recommended modifications

Post  89LX June 9th 2014, 4:50 am

Recently picked up a new project for me. I call it "Project Grandpa". It's an 1983 Ford LTD with a mid 70's 460 that the previous owner had installed. The car just had this cam, http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2287, installed right before I bought it. Other then the cam the only other known modification is a 750 carb.
I plan on putting a set of MAC foxbody swap headers that I picked up for $150 along with an 8.8 rear installed with at least a 3.55 gear. What other modifications should I do? Stall? Should I use that cam or swap it out?
The car is going to be street/strip car and according to my research weighs 3220 with the stock 6 cyl
Recommended modifications Image-2

Recommended modifications Image-1
89LX
89LX

Back to top Go down

Recommended modifications Empty Re: Recommended modifications

Post  jbozzelle June 9th 2014, 8:59 am

I'd use that cam. Also an intake swap should help too. Don't choke the exhaust either...

As for the suspension. Make sure the Trac-Lok in the 8.8 is up for the power, maybe rebuild it. Just about most suspension parts for the Fox body Mustang will bolt onto that car. There are some slight variations like control arms, etc... that are specific to the Mustang though. Not saying they won't fit, but you'll need to check for sure...

Nice looking sleeper...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 9th 2014, 10:15 am

89LX wrote:Recently picked up a new project for me. I call it "Project Grandpa". It's an 1983 Ford LTD with a mid 70's 460 that the previous owner had installed. The car just had this cam, http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2287, installed right before I bought it. Other then the cam the only other known modification is a 750 carb.
I plan on putting a set of MAC foxbody swap headers that I picked up for $150 along with an 8.8 rear installed with at least a 3.55 gear. What other modifications should I do? Stall? Should I use that cam or swap it out?
The car is going to be street/strip car and according to my research weighs 3220 with the stock 6 cyl
Recommended modifications Image-2

Recommended modifications Image-1

Cam is a little big on the intake side for that combination but, it should work OK with a 2,400 RPM stall speed torque converter and that rear gear ratio.
Be sure it has a good exhaust system behind the headers..

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  89LX June 9th 2014, 12:11 pm

From what I can find on the headers, they are 1 7/8 primary and I plan on running the exhaust with pretty open non restrictive mufflers. The rear end is being built by Ultimate Driveline here in West Michigan. I was told that it would be in my interest to change the timing gear set out. Would an intake swap help? If so, which intake? Would I benefit more from a different cam? I'm willing to swap it out for a better suited cam. I plan on building a better motor down the road just want this one to work the best that it can.
Thanks for all of the advice so far
89LX
89LX

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 9th 2014, 10:14 pm

I would use a regular "Performer", (NOT RPM), intake manifold.

YES ... a timing set from Ford Racing #M-6268-B429 would work well.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down