BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was there any D3VE heads that didn't have the hardened seats??

4 posters

Go down

Was there any D3VE heads that didn't have the hardened seats?? Empty Was there any D3VE heads that didn't have the hardened seats??

Post  plowboy34 July 29th 2014, 7:24 pm

And if so anyone have any idea about how many miles a person might get out of a set before having trouble??

plowboy34

Back to top Go down

Was there any D3VE heads that didn't have the hardened seats?? Empty Re: Was there any D3VE heads that didn't have the hardened seats??

Post  dfree383 July 29th 2014, 7:45 pm

More than 10 less than a million?

That's a pretty loaded question......
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Was there any D3VE heads that didn't have the hardened seats?? Empty Re: Was there any D3VE heads that didn't have the hardened seats??

Post  rmcomprandy July 29th 2014, 9:26 pm

plowboy34 wrote:And if so anyone have any idea about how many miles a person might get out of a set before having trouble??

The beginning of production did not so, a date code in late 1972 or 1973 are probably not hardened.

If unhardened ... use leaded fuel or take your chances.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plowboy34 July 29th 2014, 10:06 pm

it's to late on the chances thing, already a done deal. I was ignorant at the time and didn't know about such things so this is one of them learning things that you never forget.... Mad  I have a good feeling this is what's happening. It has less than 50,000 miles on it and it's developed a light popping through the exhaust and a leak down test proves to be leaking through the exhaust.

My next question is can the seats be replaced in these heads, the only reason I ask is these heads are ported on the exhaust side. I do the porting myself so cost isn't really a big deal. Just don't know if it's possible and cost efficient. Might be cheaper to just find some later heads, port them and have a valve job done. Your guy's thoughts would be appreciated. You helped me build this thing and it run's just like you all said it would(which is like a raped ape) so I would like your input on this as well. Thanks in advance

plowboy34

Back to top Go down

Post  kim July 29th 2014, 11:12 pm

So long as the area isn't damaged too bad, the head can be cut to have hardend seats installed.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 29th 2014, 11:46 pm

kim wrote:So long as the area isn't damaged too bad, the head can be cut to have hardend seats installed.  

X2 need to see how damaged they are. The inserts are better IMO than doing a valve job on another set, you know they are hard sometime they can be worn
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  plowboy34 July 30th 2014, 9:09 pm

Thanks for the info guy's really appreciate it. Guess I'll have to talk to the machinist and see what the cost difference would be.

Is there any certain brand of seat you would recommend??

plowboy34

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down