BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Copper Header Gaskets

+11
kim
cletus66
the Coug
FalconEh
69F100
85bigblockfox
dfree383
richter69
whatbumper
Dave De
plowboy34
15 posters

Go down

Copper Header Gaskets Empty Copper Header Gaskets

Post  plowboy34 September 15th 2014, 10:52 am

Are they worth the money and if they are is there a certain brand thats better than the rest or is a copper gasket a copper gasket.

plowboy34

Back to top Go down

Copper Header Gaskets Empty Re: Copper Header Gaskets

Post  Dave De September 15th 2014, 12:20 pm

I've used them but they are old school. I believe in "Percy's Seal For Good" header gaskets. you can buy at Summit. Some will say RTV but if the flange has defects it won't seal. I have reused my Percy's several times and they don't leak or lose bolt torque.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper September 15th 2014, 12:46 pm

I have yet to find RTV not work if you let the bead dry like the directions say before putting them on the car.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 15th 2014, 1:32 pm

same
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 15th 2014, 1:42 pm

Ultra copper RTV here.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  85bigblockfox September 15th 2014, 3:19 pm

I dont see how anyone could use rtv on a 460 foxbody with longtubes and stock framerails.
85bigblockfox
85bigblockfox

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 September 15th 2014, 11:36 pm

Dave De wrote:I've used them but they are old school. I believe in "Percy's Seal For Good" header gaskets. you can buy at Summit. Some will say RTV but if the flange has defects it won't seal. I have reused my Percy's several times and they don't leak or lose bolt torque.

I am with Dave De on the Percy's gaskets I had reused my old set a few times with no problems just bought a new set for my new headers I built. I could use RTV now but the way my old headers had to go on and around the old steering column. RTV would not work and after putting the header around the steering column not enough room to get on them.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  plowboy34 September 16th 2014, 1:19 pm

Thanks for the info guy's, at least there was only two different opinions. I was waiting for 15 different way's and mass confusion. Now I need to flip a coin..... Very Happy

plowboy34

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 16th 2014, 8:06 pm

plowboy34 wrote:Thanks for the info guy's, at least there was only two different opinions. I was waiting for 15 different way's and mass confusion. Now I need to flip a coin..... Very Happy

No need to flip a coin do both just use the rtv on one side to hold them in place while you bolt them in. Wink
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 17th 2014, 7:30 am

Plow boy we have used several sets save your money...The ones we have used are to hard and the seal ring on them don't crush so the ones we used are in the trash....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De September 17th 2014, 12:02 pm

the Coug wrote:Plow boy we have used several sets save your money...The ones we have used are to hard and the seal ring on them don't crush so the ones we used are in the trash....

Wow such extreme opinions on an exhaust gasket that most have not used. They dont have seal rings and unless you try them you will never know.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 17th 2014, 12:07 pm

Dave De wrote:
the Coug wrote:Plow boy we have used several sets save your money...The ones we have used are to hard and the seal ring on them don't crush so the ones we used are in the trash....

Wow such extreme opinions on an exhaust gasket that most have not used. They dont have seal rings and unless you try them you will never know.

the ones I have tried had a seal ring on the inner part of the copper gasket and would not seal... and yes I tried them, afterwards use silicon now
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De September 17th 2014, 12:25 pm

the Coug wrote:
Dave De wrote:

the ones I have tried had a seal ring on the inner part of the copper gasket and would not seal... and yes I tried them, afterwards use silicon now

Ah.... No you didn't
Percy's seal for good are multilayered aluminum with carbon graphite.
I'd buy em at twice the price. No messing with silicone or time to set.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 September 17th 2014, 12:37 pm

Dave De wrote:
the Coug wrote:
Dave De wrote:

Ah.... No you didn't

LOL, I think y'all are talking about 2 different things. Laughing
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 17th 2014, 12:54 pm

cletus66 wrote:
Dave De wrote:
the Coug wrote:
Dave De wrote:

Ah.... No you didn't

LOL, I think y'all are talking about 2 different things.  Laughing

I think you are right Cletus I am talking about solid copper gaskets not aluminum carbon graphites.....I am so glad he knows what I have and haven't used I just wish he was here to change those SOBs when they didn't work and he could have stuck them where the sun didn't shine....cuz I wadded them up and threw them in the copper scrap bend.
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  kim September 17th 2014, 1:50 pm

85bigblockfox wrote:I dont see how anyone could use rtv on a 460 foxbody with longtubes and stock framerails.

Mine goes in with trans, and headers all attached. I use engine plates for mounts, but if the headers aint on when it goes in, they aren't going on.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De September 17th 2014, 6:18 pm

Hey Coug,
I didnt deserve that. Is it my fault that you didnt read all the threads on a post. Unlike some I comment on my own experiences. I also race my car not my keyboard.

Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 17th 2014, 7:40 pm

Dave De wrote:Hey Coug,
I didnt deserve that. Is it my fault that you didnt read all the threads on a post. Unlike some I comment on my own experiences. I also race my car not my keyboard.

Dave just because I don't come on here and post everything I do doesn't mean I don't race, I am not here to prove my wanker is bigger, personally I don't care, so I don't post what I do just for you guy to critic..
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Copper Header Gaskets Empty Copper gaskets

Post  blown473 September 17th 2014, 8:05 pm

I have a NOS set of Mr Gasket 7165 Copperseal Premium gaskets right here on the wall of my shop, they do have the embossed raised o-ring seal, and are .043 thick. Port opening is 1.25 x 2.08 factory oval style. I had 2 sets of these, I opened one and was going to use them, however the ports of my Sanderson Headers didn't match up to the seal rings so I gave them away, I think to Paul Kane. That's probably the biggest issue is the gasket fitting your heads port, and your header flange. I have Blue Thunder raised Ford exhaust, and with my Sanderson headers I've found that using Fel-Pro's 1419 gasket, and trimming it to my headers works well. I also spray them with copper coat, let them dry a full day, then also use the silicone wet and install. This has sealed excellent on my engine which is supercharged and has pretty high exhaust temps. Summit Racing lists the Mr Gasket copper gaskets at $35 for a pair, not bad if your going to try them, they say stock port, and when matching them to a Fel-Pro 1419 that seems to be the case. Good luck either way.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Copper Header Gaskets Empty header gaskets

Post  504T September 17th 2014, 11:14 pm

Permatex red hi-temp, put it on wet start the bolts, let it set overnight and tighten em up the next day.
504T
504T

Back to top Go down

Post  85bigblockfox September 19th 2014, 2:10 pm

Waiting on Coug to tell him to stick the gaskets up his ass.........
85bigblockfox
85bigblockfox

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 19th 2014, 2:19 pm

Copper exhaust flange gaskets are the ONLY one's to use with iron manifolds however, with headers .. probably not.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Copper Header Gaskets Empty copper is a conductor

Post  DanE September 19th 2014, 8:41 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:Copper exhaust flange gaskets are the ONLY one's to use with iron manifolds however, with headers .. probably not.

The copper gasket allows the heat building up in the iron manifold to dissipate from the iron manifold through the copper gasket and into the engine's cooling system. Stops the iron manifold from warping, breaking bolts, and leaking. After 2 or 3 warped/broken exhaust manifolds, you catch on.

DanE

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 19th 2014, 9:32 pm

85bigblockfox wrote:Waiting on Coug to tell him to stick the gaskets up his ass.........

right next to your valves.........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  85bigblockfox September 20th 2014, 9:02 am

richter69 wrote:
85bigblockfox wrote:Waiting on Coug to tell him to stick the gaskets up his ass.........

right next to your valves.........

Yup, Im good up to a 2.08. Anything bigger than that gets a little hairy......
85bigblockfox
85bigblockfox

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down