BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Dead Center

2 posters

Go down

Top Dead Center Empty Top Dead Center

Post  460Dave November 22nd 2014, 8:14 pm

I feel like I need to run this past someone else to make sure I am thinking about this right. 545 rotating assembly w/ Lunati crank. It had a FMS damper on it and has been running, but plugs don't look real good. The damper was rusty and hard to read the timing marks. I bought an IW damper and installed it today. Trying to find TDC, I installed a piston stop in the #1 cylinder and rotated it until it touched (19 degrees). I then rotated it the other direction until it touched (337 degrees). That's 19 degrees one way and 23 degrees the other. I replaced the pointer (old factory one) with a new one (stamped steel from Keith Fulp). It read the same as before.

It appears that I am 2 degrees off. I don't want to just randomly go and change the pointer position without knowing it is the right thing to do. How common is this?

460Dave

Back to top Go down

Top Dead Center Empty Re: Top Dead Center

Post  514Fox87 November 22nd 2014, 8:26 pm

Using a piston is the correct way to find tdc. You are correct if you are getting 19 degrees one way and 23 the other the pointer is 2 degrees off. They should read the same both ways.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down