BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSD 6al-2

2 posters

Go down

MSD 6al-2 Empty MSD 6al-2

Post  jones December 5th 2014, 9:30 pm

Anyone have experience with the redesigned 6AL-2 ignition box's? How about the programable version? I would assume I should stick with the 6 series for a off road / street truck, 10:1 compression ratio, pump gas with occasional nitrous down the road. I want to make sure I buy what I need for the engine, don't want to have ignition issues or get a race version that might not be able to with stand running for hours.

Would you suggest another manufacturer that might hold up too a harsh environment?

jones

Back to top Go down

MSD 6al-2 Empty Re: MSD 6al-2

Post  Mustang-junky December 6th 2014, 9:29 pm

I have a 6AL-2 programmable ignition in my big block car. Once you understand how to set up the timing curve it is pretty easy to use, tech phone line guys are helpful too.

Lock your distributor and set initial timing for the MAX timing you want, then the box retards from the total to get your curve. I think I have mine set to 36* total, with 25* pulled at start-up, ramping up to no retard, full 36* by 2800 or so RPM. My car is just a street strip deal, so I can't tell you how it would do off road. I have had it for a couple years without an issue.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum