BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's play guess the hp & Trq

+12
gmsmkr
cletus66
bbf-falcon
maverick
the Coug
68galaxie
BOSS 429
dfree383
Lem Evans
nitrous.f
res0rli9
jones
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Let's play guess the hp & Trq - Page 2 Empty Re: Let's play guess the hp & Trq

Post  68galaxie December 17th 2014, 10:33 am

dfree383 wrote:

The dyno don't lie.

I'm looking at an artical from Super Rod published in July 2002 702hp and 725lb on Westech's dyno. No reason not to believe it. Its on comp cams website too.

Oh, so your actual dyno experience comes from magazine articles - wow!
There are some wild HP claims (with dyno results) on Yellow Bullet too that are a joke!

Every magazine rag used Westech Dyno facilities for testing. A very, very HP happy dyno it was.

To state that magazine dyno tests are factual HP is just laughable.
68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick December 17th 2014, 10:49 am

R'uh r'oh. Rolling Eyes
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon December 17th 2014, 10:52 am

the Coug wrote:
Lem Evans wrote: I do not know why any of us ever dyno any engine....every mofo on the internet already knows what it's gonna make. Laughing  

I agree either that or go buy a desk top dyno and you can plug in some bs and it will tell you exactly what you have

there is a guy in the next town  a buddy and I went to the parts house to get something this guy was telling me he is building a 1000hp 350 chevy and it will be a street car he knows this cuz he tallied up all the parts he was going to use and the advertised hp they all supposedly make when adding to an engine...

Was Twin turbos on the parts list?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick December 17th 2014, 11:03 am

Note to self: Add popcorn to shopping list.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 17th 2014, 11:09 am

68galaxie wrote:
dfree383 wrote:

The dyno don't lie.

I'm looking at an artical from Super Rod published in July 2002 702hp and 725lb on Westech's dyno. No reason not to believe it. Its on comp cams website too.

There are some wild HP claims (with dyno results) on Yellow Bullet too that are a joke!

Every magazine rag used Westech Dyno facilities for testing. A very, very HP happy dyno it was.

No my actual dyno experience does not come from magazines, i just happened to have that particular piece sitting on my desk when this conversation started and it seemed to fit the discussion.  

I have run comps xr292 in 3 of my own BBFs and have had similar results, abate with smaller engines with a little more compression.

So why don't you share your dyno experience on the subject. Or at least take the time to read the one referenced and you would see that they ran the base engine at about 600hp (pretty damn close to fords advertised numbers) a CJ crate engine and changed it to SCJs with the xr292........

That dyno could be fat, but the results do allow anyone with a brain to draw a reasonable conclusion from the data provided.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 December 17th 2014, 11:39 am

68galaxie wrote:
dfree383 wrote:

The dyno don't lie.

Laughing
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  jones December 17th 2014, 12:02 pm

All I can say is that my plan is to dyno the engine. In the past on this forum we have made small bet's on what the actual numbers would be.

The only thing I could possibly be worried about the engine is if it doesn't have enough rumble! Being that the truck it's going in will be cruised around and liable to do cruise inn's and play around at the drag strip. The only thing limiting the valve train is being able to drive down the interstate have fun and make it back home. (check valve lash) My thought is to have a engine that when people hear it run they get chill bumps or step back and say "that engine sounds crisp, it's not just some stock engine with headers!"

I'd love to have crickets coming out of the headers but I know that calls for high compression and tombstone camshaft!

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 17th 2014, 12:35 pm

Then change the cam..... Something on a 106 or 108 CL.....
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones December 17th 2014, 1:31 pm

dfree383 wrote:Then change the cam..... Something on a 106 or 108 CL.....

That's not my call as I don't know what this camshaft would sound like. The main thing is not having to worry about the valvetrain eating lifters and valvesprings. I have no problems with checking the valve train before and after. Don't get me wrong though! I don't want a camshaft that will hurt in the HP department either.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 17th 2014, 2:48 pm

jones wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Then change the cam..... Something on a 106 or 108 CL.....

That's not my call as I don't know what this camshaft would sound like. The main thing is not having to worry about the valvetrain eating lifters and valvesprings. I have no problems with checking the valve train before and after. Don't get me wrong though! I don't want a camshaft that will hurt in the HP department either.

If your that worried about replacing lifters and springs, go with a milder solid flat tappet, if your looking for the rump rump sound have the cam ground on a tight LS.

Problems solved, it will be cheaper, last longer, but make slightly less.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones December 17th 2014, 3:25 pm

Naw,,,, we can't be giving up power, if we need more rump we need to go more aggressive!

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 11th 2015, 8:45 pm

Getting closer,,, the engine is on the dyno being broken in! This is the first time I have seen my new engine! Talk about being excited!

We elected to go with the a 1050 instead of a 1150 for better midrange response instead of 2 or 3 extra HP on the top end. The carburetor is a Quickfuel, Black Diamond, 1050, 4700 series, 2 circuit. My plan is to have the intake, water pump and timing cover powder coated black to match the carburetor. The valve covers we have on order are taking forever to come in. We also added a Jomar girdle to the valvetrain to help the Crower rocker arms control the valvetrain.  

Let's play guess the hp & Trq - Page 2 3442889C-02C2-43B6-B9DB-FC875F9CC52A_zpsfmqwchtu

Bob's shop has really changed since the last time I was there in 2007. He now has his own dyno cell and looks to be top notch!

Let's play guess the hp & Trq - Page 2 D33BB925-B6CF-4543-870B-8A90F83A25BF_zpsa9h89n66

Last edited by jones on March 11th 2015, 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr March 11th 2015, 8:59 pm

While its on there go ahead and floggggggg it and post up some numbers for us What a Face
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 11th 2015, 9:05 pm

gmsmkr wrote:While its on there go ahead and floggggggg it and post up some numbers for us What a Face

Thats the plan. Since he has a day job he doesn't have time to do all of it in one day.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  FORDMUD March 11th 2015, 10:27 pm

Awesome.
FORDMUD
FORDMUD

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 11th 2015, 10:56 pm

jones wrote:
gmsmkr wrote:While its on there go ahead and floggggggg it and post up some numbers for us What a Face

Thats the plan. Since he has a day job he doesn't have time to do all of it in one day.

Who is dynoing it, JetBoat?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 11th 2015, 10:57 pm

625HP 650 Max is my guess. Put a MSD remote timing control on it and turn the timing down if you want a little more lope at idle on cruise night. Race gas will change the exhaust note some to in my experience also, if you can afford to run it.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 12th 2015, 12:09 am

bbf-falcon wrote:
jones wrote:

Who is dynoing it, JetBoat?
Yes, Jet Boat Bob is running it on his new dyno. I had hoped to be up there for the dyno but due to his work schedule and not knowing when he will have time to work on it doesn't allow me to be there.

I plan to ride up there and spend a couple of days hanging out and seeing folks.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 12th 2015, 12:15 am

JetBoat Bob is a good dude and a great engine builder especially BBF's. I want to get down there and see his new Dyno. You will be happy with your engine,thats for sure. Cool

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 12th 2015, 12:24 am

supervel45 wrote:625HP 650 Max is my guess. Put a MSD remote timing control on it and turn the timing down if you want a little more lope at idle on cruise night. Race gas will change the exhaust note some to in my experience also, if you can afford to run it.

I run VP T4 in my SxS and thought about running T4 in it as I usually by it in 54gal drums. I talked to a VP rep and they suggested Motorsports 109 if I wanted to use something other than pump gas for the engine. The T4 runs great in 10:1-12:1 parallel twin engine but it is a nonleaded oxygenated fuel. It would be nice to run T4 if I start having problems with bad pump gas.

Edit: I went back and read the tech bulletin for the Motorsports 109 and noticed it uses ethanol for oxygenation. I won't be using that as that is one of the reasons I use the T4, it doesn't use ethanol for oxygenation.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno March 12th 2015, 7:41 am

Very nice Josh. Good to see Jet Boat Bob has a dyno room !!!!

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 March 12th 2015, 8:07 am

We're going to need a video too. Glad to see it all coming together. Twisted Evil
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 12th 2015, 8:25 am

cletus66 wrote:We're going to need a video too.  Glad to see it all coming together.  Twisted Evil

I hoped to get a video of the dyno pulls and be able to experience the whole process as this would be my first engine ever put on a dyno. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I will be able to get a quality video or be there for the process being that he doesn't know when he will be working on the project. I told them I only need enough heads-up to be able to rent a vehicle, let my work know and reserve a hotel room. If I have to be honest I really had my hopes up for the whole dyno experience and some what disappointed but I can understand that it's not able to be scheduled due to his unknowing work schedule. As long as I get a good legible report from the dyno pulls for a torque converter to be built and for my records. (at least something out of the process! LoL)

I'm sure some might say I'm just being a whining baby about it but I guess I am what I am! Laughing

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 12th 2015, 8:30 am

It should spin a tire.

Last edited by jones on March 14th 2015, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 14th 2015, 10:43 pm

Ok guys, the moment we have all been waiting for!!!! Final dyno numbers!! It's much better than I was expecting, I will take a flat line over a peaky line any day! I think Lem hit the nail on the head and built me exactly what I wanted (more so of what I "needed"  Embarassed ). If ever need more I can dial it up with nitrous.

These pulls was with off the corner pump gas. Also note the camshaft is installed straight-up to help with the 4x4 4200-4700b truck it's going in. We know it could have made higher hp numbers with the camshaft advanced but elected not too.

Let's play guess the hp & Trq - Page 2 4C3E7F71-B00B-4454-A6D8-5729A996D239_zpst2gy5ucb

Last edited by jones on March 15th 2015, 10:40 pm; edited 3 times in total

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next