BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

some people

+11
DILLIGASDAVE
dfree383
whatbumper
the Coug
maverick
rmcomprandy
FalconEh
richter69
butterbean
schmitty
gmsmkr
15 posters

Go down

some people Empty some people

Post  gmsmkr March 4th 2015, 8:04 pm

Well I had a old (hot rod) guy come into the shop today said he has a car that he wants to put a cage in. I say that will be no problem so I ask is it a class car or grudge car and he ask what's that matter to me he just wants the cage. I think on what he has just said and as nice as i could I told him the reason I ask is I can mig the cage or tig it depends on what he wants. He looks at me and said tig or mig I want it stick welded can you do that. I giggle and tell him I'm not interested in the job. He gets so pissed off that he says you young sob you won't stay in business very long if you can't do the work right.... I extended my hand to shake his and say have a nice day he looks at me and says your a idiot....

Sorry for the long post....Rant over...
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

some people Empty Re: some people

Post  schmitty March 4th 2015, 8:10 pm

Shocked I'd have had a few unkind words muttered under my breath. I can tolerate a lot, but I can't stand idiocy.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  butterbean March 4th 2015, 8:15 pm

I want mine stick welded too, think you young SOB can handle that??? LOL!!!!
butterbean
butterbean

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 4th 2015, 8:29 pm

I stick welded one in back in the day.... Never again!
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr March 4th 2015, 8:29 pm

Roy I'm going to put a PVC cage in your car no welding just glue Razz
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr March 4th 2015, 8:41 pm

richter69 wrote:I stick welded one in back in the day.... Never again!

Ouch..... I just don't think I want to tackle it with a stick Smile
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh March 4th 2015, 8:48 pm

schmitty wrote:Shocked  I'd have had a few unkind words muttered under my breath.  I can tolerate a lot, but I can't stand idiocy.  

Sticky Laughing
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 4th 2015, 8:54 pm

gmsmkr wrote:Well I had a old (hot rod) guy come into the shop today said he has a car that he wants to put a cage in. I say that will be no problem so I ask is it a class car or grudge car and he ask what's that matter to me he just wants the cage. I think on what he has just said and as nice as i could I told him the reason I ask is I can mig the cage or tig it depends on what he wants. He looks at me and said tig or mig I want it stick welded can you do that. I giggle and tell him I'm not interested in the job. He gets so pissed off that he says you young sob you won't stay in business very long if you can't do the work right.... I extended my hand to shake his and say have a nice day he looks at me and says your a idiot....

Sorry for the long post....Rant over...

I truly feel your pain... Rolling Eyes

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick March 4th 2015, 8:56 pm

Don't ya wish ignorance was painful?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug March 4th 2015, 8:57 pm

there is a saying the good lord takes care of stupid people
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 4th 2015, 9:19 pm

We haven't used our MIG welder in about three months. We told a guy recently that we only TIG weld our chassis components and cages and he said that's bs I want it heli-arc welded. I tried to explain but just gave up and sent him on his way.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr March 4th 2015, 9:58 pm

whatbumper wrote:We haven't used our MIG welder in about three months.  We told a guy recently that we only TIG weld our chassis components and cages and he said that's bs I want it heli-arc welded.  I tried to explain but just gave up and sent him on his way.  

I know what you mean I give the option cause its some what cheaper for me to mig it if it does not matter and saves the customer a little $ . I run a select arc wire with a 95/5 mix on my gas it will lay a nice bead and hardly no splatter with great penetration of the mild steel
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 5th 2015, 4:01 am

Reminds me of a guy who wanted one made out if muffler tube....... Because it was just for show.... Rolling Eyes
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 5th 2015, 7:46 am

Jeez I can't remember the last time I saw a "race car" with some/any part of it stick welded. Probably cuz it's not legal to stick (or gas weld) cage/chassis stuff now days. On the other hand a few years ago some of the ancient rat-rod & classic drag stuff that was down at the "Day Of The Drags" race in Temple Texas did look to have some stick welding here & there on some cars (and some of it was scary looking too). It's been years since I tried stick welding, I could probably do it OK, but I bet it wouldn't be pretty.

IMO solid core wire/shielding gas type Mig welding is usually fine on a "drag use" mild steel cage/chassis if the joints are fitted correctly for the Mig welding process (to help aid in heat penetration). But having said that I do prefer Tig welding on mild steel cuz it's better & more versatile.

I usually prefer straight CO2 gas for Mig welding "thicker" mild steel material (say .095" and up) cuz it helps heat penetration. The smaller size/larger amount of Mig spatter beads from straight CO2 is a pain, but usually easily removed with a wire wheel. The 75/25 gas mix is great for Mig on thin mild steel/sheetmetal where less heat penetration is needed. The 75/25 mix usually gives you larger sized spatter beads, but less of them.

Flux core Mig is a no -no on drag cars.

Gas welding (Oxy - Acet) is a no -no on drag cars.

On a 'moly cage/frame it's Tig only cuz that's what's legal.

On a mild steel build that sees mostly "true" actual street use, (and real street hazards like pot holes & curbs) I can see the benefit of Mig welding's "larger welds" on most of the chassis structure if it's made of "box" tubing (2x2, 2x3, or 2x4) even if the cage structure will be Tig welded.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  plowboy34 March 5th 2015, 1:17 pm

You should have told him...Yup that's what they've been telling me for ten years now

plowboy34

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick March 5th 2015, 2:54 pm

dfree383 wrote:Reminds me of a guy who wanted one made out if muffler tube....... Because it was just for show.... Rolling Eyes

I can top that one, Dave....

I saw a sbc powered dragster years ago in Florida.  The chassis wasn't welded at all...it was made of black iron pipe and all the joints were simply threaded into tees and elbows affraid .  It was powered by a clapped out, junkyard 350 with a greasy old blower on top.  The trailer looked like they stuck a mobile home axle under a corrugated metal shed.  Pretty nice, eh?  Redefines "low buck".

No, I didn't get to see it run.  Fuel system issues (probably a leaky garden hose) Suspect  prevented them from making a suicide attempt while I was there. lol!

Last edited by maverick on March 5th 2015, 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R March 5th 2015, 7:32 pm

You guys with your big muny fancy welding machines make me sick bounce bounce bounce bounce

Mike R

Back to top Go down

some people Empty Seen it...

Post  747JetMech March 5th 2015, 7:50 pm

gmsmkr wrote:Roy I'm going to put a PVC cage in your car no welding just glue Razz

My buddy bought a parts truck and when he went to remove the roll bar in the back, he found someone wrapped PVC with roll bar padding?.. Shocked
747JetMech
747JetMech

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 5th 2015, 8:01 pm

Hey,, speaking of tig welding. Before I started my current job I always read about having to keep your metal clean, tungsten sharp or rounded and never touch the material with you tungsten. Well these cats weld stainless and aluminum all day and they ain't got no time for that! LoL They don't use foot pedals or anything. They set the amperage on the machine and arc the tungsten off the work piece and don't sharpen a tungsten unless they just have too! LoL Of course the welds look worse than a stick welder but they say those welds won't coma apart.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down