BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silicone in head bolt holes - how to remove?

5 posters

Go down

Silicone in head bolt holes - how to remove? Empty Silicone in head bolt holes - how to remove?

Post  75truck April 7th 2015, 11:01 pm

Taking apart a new to me 429 motor and as I removed the head bolts I noticed that some of them were installed with silicone on the threads.

Thinking that when this goes back together that torquing the heads with silicone in them would not be so good.

My solution is to take an old head bolt and cut 4 vertical slots in the threads - thread the bolt into the head bolt holes to clean the dried silicone.

Anyone have a different solution for this silicone removal?

Bob
Tucson

75truck

Back to top Go down

Silicone in head bolt holes - how to remove? Empty Re: Silicone in head bolt holes - how to remove?

Post  rmcomprandy April 8th 2015, 12:32 am

75truck wrote:Taking apart a new to me 429 motor and as I removed the head bolts I noticed that some of them were installed with silicone on the threads.

Thinking that when this goes back together that torquing the heads with silicone in them would not be so good.

My solution is to take an old head bolt and cut 4 vertical slots in the threads - thread the bolt into the head bolt holes to clean the dried silicone.

Anyone have a different solution for this silicone removal?

Bob
Tucson

Brake Clean and a compressed air pistol will work just fine.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Silicone in head bolt holes - how to remove? Empty Re: Silicone in head bolt holes - how to remove?

Post  gt350hr April 8th 2015, 12:45 pm

+1 Barkecleaner and compressed air. Works fast and like a charm.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 8th 2015, 2:56 pm

Gas curls that stuff up fast too.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea April 9th 2015, 8:17 am

All of the above and clean the threads with a tap.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Silicone in head bolt holes - how to remove? Empty I came up with this!

Post  75truck April 13th 2015, 4:07 pm

Silicone in head bolt holes - how to remove? Thread%20Chaser

My need to be innovative brought me to this.  I actually got the idea from Oreilly Auto Parts. - they have a rental tool set that has thread chasers
and I noticed the vertical slits in the thread chaser to clean the threads.  So I just modified an extra head bolt to do the trick.  Used a Dremel cutoff blade to cut the slits.

Thanks guys and the brake clean worked with it also.

Bob
Tucson

75truck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down