BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone know how many needle rollers there are in a Crane Rocker arm?

+2
bbf-falcon
512Fairlane
6 posters

Go down

Anyone know how many needle rollers there are in a Crane Rocker arm? Empty Anyone know how many needle rollers there are in a Crane Rocker arm?

Post  512Fairlane April 14th 2015, 12:31 am

I lost a needle roller bearing in one of my Lunati (made by Crane) roller rockers. These were the ones with the snap rings on the side. It looks like the snap ring came off then part of the seal and then all of the needles fell out. I found 29 needles. One of them locked up my Kaase oil pump which sheared the pump shaft and the roll pin in my distributor gear which was a blessing in disguise because it shut the motor down in the burnout box. I guess I'll take apart the bearing on the other side of the rocker to see how many needles it has. Great start to the season so far.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Anyone know how many needle rollers there are in a Crane Rocker arm? Empty Re: Anyone know how many needle rollers there are in a Crane Rocker arm?

Post  bbf-falcon April 14th 2015, 3:28 am

Mike I have one from this set I can check.

https://www.429-460.com/t19596-lucky-catch?highlight=lucky

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Anyone know how many needle rollers there are in a Crane Rocker arm? Empty Re: Anyone know how many needle rollers there are in a Crane Rocker arm?

Post  512Fairlane April 14th 2015, 7:23 am

Rick that is exactly what mine did only the snap ring came off also. My rockers had about 450 passes on them though so I did get some mileage out of them I guess.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr April 14th 2015, 2:44 pm

Snap rings pop off because of side loading. You may want to look into a cause.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane April 14th 2015, 8:25 pm

For the record there are 30 needles. I have to find 1 more.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt April 14th 2015, 10:26 pm

Lets just say that I have felt your pain.

Anyone know how many needle rollers there are in a Crane Rocker arm? Cranerocker2
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 14th 2015, 10:42 pm

512Fairlane wrote:Rick that is exactly what mine did only the snap ring came off also.  My rockers had about 450 passes on them though so I did get some mileage out of them I guess.

I'm not sure what your heads are Mike,i was thinking maybe SCJ's. Check the pushrod guides and make sure your rollers are true w/your valve tips. Might have too cut them and weld.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane April 14th 2015, 11:42 pm

I've got P-51s. Took the rest of the rockers off. There was one more that looked like it was starting to push the bearing out of the rocker. Number 5 exhaust let go and number 8 intake was getting ready to. I'll take a look at the geometry again. Haven't really had any issues like this in around 450 runs so not sure why it did it. Cam is only .720" ish and I shift at 6200 with the Manley Nextech springs that came with the Kaase heads so its nothing exotic. I've looked all over everything and can't find that last roller. Tomorrow I guess the intake will come off. I flushed the drainback holes with light weight oil and blew them out. I don't think its possible for one to make it through the oil pump and into the filter but I haven't cut the filter open yet.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 April 15th 2015, 12:53 am

512Fairlane wrote:I've got P-51s.  Took the rest of the rockers off.  There was one more that looked like it was starting to push the bearing out of the rocker.  Number 5 exhaust let go and number 8 intake was getting ready to.  I'll take a look at the geometry again.  Haven't really had any issues like this in around 450 runs so not sure why it did it.  Cam is only .720" ish and I shift at 6200 with the Manley Nextech springs that came with the Kaase heads so its nothing exotic.   I've looked all over everything and can't find that last roller.  Tomorrow I guess the intake will come off.  I flushed the drainback holes with light weight oil and blew them out.  I don't think its possible for one to make it through the oil pump and into the filter but I haven't cut the filter open yet.
cut it open first! Hopefully no surprises affraid
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 15th 2015, 2:37 am

Do you have magnets in your pan?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug April 15th 2015, 6:35 am

I don't know about any of you guys but I keep magnets in the drain backs at the end of my heads to catch matters like this... and it also lets you see if any metalic is going thru the valve train areas....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane April 15th 2015, 8:06 am

I only had a magnetic drain plug.  I will definitely be installing some magnets in the pan and maybe drain holes.  How do you hold yours in?  Epoxy?
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug April 15th 2015, 12:23 pm

512Fairlane wrote:I only had a magnetic drain plug.  I will definitely be installing some magnets in the pan and maybe drain holes.  How do you hold yours in?  Epoxy?

Mike I go down to the store nd find some of those clamps that go on the fridge that will hold bigger items they look like Paper clamps, and look to make sure it has a 1 inch square type magnet then you just pry it off the base I always get 4 so I can put 1 in each end of the head drainbacks, and you can either epoxy them or just lay them in the drain back... if anything breaks it will have to go by one of the magnets if it gets to the pan...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down