BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with my parts list please

4 posters

Go down

Help with my parts list please Empty Help with my parts list please

Post  Texican May 10th 2015, 4:37 pm

Hello all, new to the BBF, as well as the site. I'm in the process of building the 460 for my wife's 1968 Ranchero, the car weighs about 3400 pounds with her in it, 460, cut .040, torque plate, honed old school TRW forged stock type pistons, .015 in the hole,(about 10.5:1)moly rings, stock rods reamed and bushed for floaters, resized big ends with ARP bolts all balanced to 1/8 OZ/inch. Weiand stealth intake and a Holley 850 DP with the choke horn milled off, crites 2" primary 3.5" collector headers. Backed by a manual valve body C6, Pro Torque 3,000 stall with a 9" and 4.88's out back. The chassis has crites subframe connectors, an old school set of south side bars, Moroso drag springs and 90/10 Lakewood shocks. We are severely limited in the cylinder head department due to a no porting rule, I have the C8VE-E castings that came off of it, cut for positive seals, bigger(ish) spring pockets, and a set of Harland Sharp rockers. The next piece of the puzzle is what camshaft to use? Everybody says to have a cam custom ground, but I haven't had much luck with the experts. Lunati recommends the Voodoo 61604, 233/241@.050 .564/.582 on a 110. It seems to be a little much in my opinion, will this cam work well with the wheezy heads? What head gaskets do y'll recommend? I'd like to squeeze as much quench area out of it as possible. The car will mainly be used in street/strip fashion and see the occasional Texas muscle car club challenge race, street manners nor vacuum is of much concern I'd like to see mid 7's in the 1/8 on motor if possible.

Texican

Back to top Go down

Help with my parts list please Empty Re: Help with my parts list please

Post  Curt May 10th 2015, 4:59 pm

The tiny poor flowing exhaust ports are going to be your biggest obstacle. You should try to get a cam that band aids them.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 10th 2015, 9:17 pm

Get rid of that cavernous "stealth" manifold. It works well at Wide Open Throttle or with good heads but, is almost terrible with those heads at any transition or other throttle opening.

Get a custom cam exactly for your application.
If you have had bad luck in that route, you have probably not given complete information or you have been dealing with simple phone jockeys who think what works in a Chevrolet will work in a big block Ford...

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Texican May 10th 2015, 9:55 pm

Thanks randy, what do you recommend for an intake?

Texican

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 11th 2015, 10:27 am

Texican wrote:Thanks randy, what do you recommend for an intake?

I would rune the "Air-Gap' if no choke is being used; a "Performer RPM" if a heated manifold is desired.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 May 11th 2015, 10:52 am

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195714 Check out Scotty's post #9 Dyno results. It's a Voodoo cam about 2 sizes smaller than the one you mentioned and the heads were ported. He also lists what it ran a 3,900lb car.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down