BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

carb boosters pouring fuel

+5
David Cole
bbf-falcon
dfree383
rmcomprandy
kjett
9 posters

Go down

carb boosters pouring fuel Empty carb boosters pouring fuel

Post  kjett June 8th 2015, 8:37 am

Need a little help. I've pulled the carb apart several times and cleaned it numerous times, adjusted the floats, changed needles/seats, new gaskets and still have fuel dripping from the front boosters. When I 1st start the motor up, it doesn't do it, but within the 1st pump of the throttle it will continue to drip fuel out of the front boosters to the point sometimes it's a steady stream. Shut the fuel pump and motor off and it will continue until the bowl is almost empty flooding the motor. When it's running, its not a big deal, just tired of fuel dripping after I shut it off. Any other suggestions? Fuel bowls have been changed from the removable plug to the sight glass style bowls and level is adjusted to just below 1/2 of the site glass on both front and rear bowls. This is a Holley 1150 2 circuit dominator 7320-1.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

carb boosters pouring fuel Empty Re: carb boosters pouring fuel

Post  rmcomprandy June 8th 2015, 10:08 am

kjett wrote:Need a little help. I've pulled the carb apart several times and cleaned it numerous times, adjusted the floats, changed needles/seats, new gaskets and still have fuel dripping from the front boosters. When I 1st start the motor up, it doesn't do it, but within the 1st pump of the throttle it will continue to drip fuel out of the front boosters to the point sometimes it's a steady stream. Shut the fuel pump and motor off and it will continue until the bowl is almost empty flooding the motor. When it's running, its not a big deal, just tired of fuel dripping after I shut it off. Any other suggestions? Fuel bowls have been changed from the removable plug to the sight glass style bowls and level is adjusted to just below 1/2 of the site glass on both front and rear bowls. This is a Holley 1150 2 circuit dominator 7320-1.

Probably, Creeping fuel pressure.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 8th 2015, 10:26 am

Dirt in the regulator
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 8th 2015, 10:32 am

rmcomprandy wrote:Probably, Creeping fuel pressure.

Pressure is set at 7 psi, but it's an Aeromotive dead head reg being fed from an Aeromitive A2000 pump, which is a return style pump. I guess it's time to pull everything apart and clean the entire system again. Oh the joys... Mad
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 8th 2015, 10:44 am

kjett wrote:

Pressure is set at 7 psi, but it's an Aeromotive dead head reg being fed from an Aeromitive A2000 pump, which is a return style pump. I guess it's time to pull everything apart and clean the entire system again. Oh the joys... Mad

Any "dead head" regulator will creep-up fuel pressure if there is no fuel flow going through it; no matter what the setting.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 8th 2015, 10:46 am

Are you returning fuel at the cell, that's a big pump not to have somekind of a return.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 8th 2015, 10:57 am

The pump itself has a return. Have a -10 feeding to the pump, then out with a -8 to the reg and a -8 on the return back to the tank If you go to the Aeromotive site and search for SKU 17203, it the same pump, filter and reg setup I have. They use their deadhead 13201 regulator with this pump.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 8th 2015, 11:07 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
kjett wrote:

Any "dead head" regulator will creep-up fuel pressure if there is no fuel flow going through it; no matter what the setting.

I knew that, just thought with the return style pump, that most of that would be elimited. Could the bypass pressure be set too high causing the deadhead reg to creep? think it's worth dropping that pressure some or would it be compounding the issue? It could be all good at wot, I'm just trying to fix the idle issues.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 8th 2015, 11:18 am

Just don't turn the fuel pump on until the engine is actually running.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole June 8th 2015, 4:51 pm

I run that same pump and regulator on the nitrous system for my car. Engine runs off a belt drive pump (alky injected)

The A2000 pump moves a huge amount of fuel and the built in bypass will only go down to 12 psi at it's lowest setting.

The regulator will creep. I had to make a simple return and it solved the problem. I used a -4 fitting and cut 1/4" or so off the angled sealing end of the fitting. Slipped a .030 nitrous jet into the cut off fitting and the angled end of the jet replaced the portion I cut off the fitting. Works great, very simple and solved the problem.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  kim June 8th 2015, 8:15 pm

Rons sells a pretty aluminum housing to put a jet in to allow an all AN fitting assembly.  I run a return off the 4 carb bowls.  Fuel cycling through the needle and seat area cools carbs from heat soak.  Basically acts like mini radiators as its idling and not needing gallons of fuel.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh June 9th 2015, 12:29 am

kjett wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
kjett wrote:

I knew that, just thought with the return style pump, that most of that would be elimited. Could the bypass pressure be set too high causing the deadhead reg to creep? think it's worth dropping that pressure some or would it be compounding the issue? It could be all good at wot, I'm just trying to fix the idle issues.

Yes, the bypass pressure can be too high, however it will not cause the deadhead regulator(main) to creep because it is one(deadhead), set it a 1/2 lb below your fuel pressure so it returns before unloading the needle/seat, it is only utilized with deadhead pressure so it will not affect top end.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB June 20th 2015, 8:00 am

I basically have the same setup but no issues. -12, a2000, -8 bypass to cell, -10 line to a magnafuel reg. I have run as high as 30 at the pump and 8 at the carb and haven't had a problem. We thought at the time it was running out of fuel on the top end. Turned out that wasn't the case. Hope you find it.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT June 20th 2015, 2:32 pm

Karl, you said it's doing it even after you shut your engine off, could the bowl vent be plugged and the pressure in the fuel bowl end up high enough to push the fuel out the booster discharge nozzle?
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 22nd 2015, 8:11 am

At this point, anything is posible. I've been pulling it apart and cleaning it myself with carb cleaner and some tiny brushes. Might just send it out for a professional rebuild.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT June 22nd 2015, 9:03 am

The cut away view shows that the vent port drops into the main body and then makes a 90° turn towards the needle and seat.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down