BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building my lightning engine

+3
whitefield
bruno
IDT-572
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Building my lightning engine - Page 2 Empty Re: Building my lightning engine

Post  richter69 June 23rd 2015, 9:50 pm

651 lift....
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain June 24th 2015, 7:48 am

IDT-572 wrote:Dave, were these aftermarket cams?

I have ordered adjustable cam sprockets for this one. +6 0 -6

These were aftermarket cams. On a previous 4.6 4 valve build I used adjustable sprockets which worked fine but on the 5.4 the guy didn't want to use them because he had heard bad stuff about them causing problems. On the 4.6 I had to move the cams forward about 12 degrees the factory drive is horribly inaccurate. The 4.6 build was one with two turbos that the customer had built several times before I got involved. Moving the intake centerline from 120 to 108 made a tremendous difference in the performance of the engine so much so that his formerly fine torque converter ballooned and knocked the thrust out of the engine in about 10 passes....

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 24th 2015, 8:56 am

DaveMcLain wrote:

These were aftermarket cams.  On a previous 4.6 4 valve build I used adjustable sprockets which worked fine but on the 5.4 the guy didn't want to use them because he had heard bad stuff about them causing problems.  On the 4.6 I had to move the cams forward about 12 degrees the factory drive is horribly inaccurate.  The 4.6 build was one with two turbos that the customer had built several times before I got involved.  Moving the intake centerline from 120 to 108 made a tremendous difference in the performance of the engine so much so that his formerly fine torque converter ballooned and knocked the thrust out of the engine in about 10 passes....

Wow Shocked good info , thanks Dave. I may give you a shout on this deal if I have trouble, if that's ok?

I guess you degree it like you do a Lima 2.3 engine?
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain June 24th 2015, 12:03 pm

IDT-572 wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:

These were aftermarket cams.  On a previous 4.6 4 valve build I used adjustable sprockets which worked fine but on the 5.4 the guy didn't want to use them because he had heard bad stuff about them causing problems.  On the 4.6 I had to move the cams forward about 12 degrees the factory drive is horribly inaccurate.  The 4.6 build was one with two turbos that the customer had built several times before I got involved.  Moving the intake centerline from 120 to 108 made a tremendous difference in the performance of the engine so much so that his formerly fine torque converter ballooned and knocked the thrust out of the engine in about 10 passes....

Wow Shocked good info , thanks Dave.  I may give you a shout on this deal if I have trouble, if that's ok?

That's no problem. Degree it like a 2.3? If you mean picking up the centerlines from the valve spring retainer then yes.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 24th 2015, 12:08 pm

DaveMcLain wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:

Wow Shocked good info , thanks Dave.  I may give you a shout on this deal if I have trouble, if that's ok?

That's no problem.  Degree it like a 2.3?  If you mean picking up the centerlines from the valve spring retainer then yes.

That's what I was referring too.............. Thanks
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2