BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro Stock gonna change soon

+13
whatbumper
jbozzelle
5pointslow
DILLIGASDAVE
Mike R
FalconEh
kim
bbf-falcon
dr's wife racing
supervel45
dfree383
BigBlockRanger
Moodyblues
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pro Stock gonna change soon Empty Pro Stock gonna change soon

Post  Moodyblues July 16th 2015, 1:32 pm

http://www.dragracingonline.com/agent1320/2015/1320-xvii_7-19.html
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Pro Stock gonna change soon Empty Re: Pro Stock gonna change soon

Post  BigBlockRanger July 16th 2015, 2:42 pm

It will be interesting to see how this plays out if true. I am not a huge fan of Pro Stock using power adders though. I'd rather see them stick to production style n/a engines ~7.0L or so.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues July 16th 2015, 2:47 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:It will be interesting to see how this plays out if true.  I am not a huge fan of Pro Stock using power adders though.   I'd rather see them stick to production style n/a engines ~7.0L or so.  

I agree. They gotta do something pro stock is dying on the vine...
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 16th 2015, 4:50 pm

About F'n time!

I just hope they keep the rules simple and effective to let some average joes be competitive.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 16th 2015, 5:15 pm

They need to put alot more Stock back into the class. The big three make supercharged production cars, so I could see them being included. The single camshaft rule needs to go also, I hate to say. I guess you would have to break it down into different classes like Super Stock, to make it workable though, or at least N/A, Supercharged, and Turbocharged classes. I would make them keep the factory body or something pretty close to it, like rear quarters and roof. The biggest problem I see with the power adders, is keeping the class from morphing into something that resembles Pro Mod.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing July 16th 2015, 7:24 pm

Pro stock was one of the best class's around. Now it equals the joke called NASCAR. They all look the same, they all run the same. They look nothing like street cars. All of NHRA pro class's are that way now. They have even made the fuel class's boring. The fuel class's were not my favorite but they were unpredictable and exciting. I realize that racing needs to be as safe as possible but if you remove all of the excitement and danger no one wants to watch. Ive noticed that the stands at the last few NHRA Rae's look like NASCAR stands. Pretty empty. I hate it when the fans go away the sport dies.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 16th 2015, 9:28 pm

dr's wife racing wrote:Pro stock was one of the best class's around. Now it equals the joke called NASCAR. They all look the same, they all run the same. They look nothing like street cars. All of NHRA pro class's are that way now. They have even made the fuel class's boring. The fuel class's were not my favorite but they were unpredictable and exciting. I realize that racing  needs to be as safe as possible but if you remove all of the excitement and danger no one wants to watch. Ive noticed that the stands at the last few NHRA Rae's look like NASCAR stands. Pretty empty. I hate it when the fans go away the sport dies.

I totally agree Ward.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  kim July 16th 2015, 11:12 pm

Bring back what it was.............. factory tweeked,,,,, STOCK cars. win on Sunday, sell on Monday. This one body, one engine, etc......... great its a drivers test. Lets save the money and race the tree only.

Bring back PRO-- STOCK. Let Ford, Chevy, Dodge, compete with factory prep cars.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh July 16th 2015, 11:38 pm

Moodyblues wrote:
BigBlockRanger wrote:It will be interesting to see how this plays out if true.  I am not a huge fan of Pro Stock using power adders though.   I'd rather see them stick to production style n/a engines ~7.0L or so.  

I agree.  They gotta do something pro stock is dying on the vine...

dfree383 wrote:About F'n time!

I just hope they keep the rules simple and effective to let some average joes be competitive.

^^^^^ I agree...Ward too

Back in the day the Pro stock class was the engineering class, before the S-class cars which are great, but so dissected that an off the grid non national track may not see 2-S/class cars race that are in the same class... awesome but too many rules. The power adders and computerized systems morph the whole deal the title also gets in the way too "Pro Stock" maybe they should change the name to "Pro Motor" eliminate the power adders, limit the electronics and get back to working on a cubic inch limit with current factory appearing bodies allowing N/A current engines to compete with a maximum of 2-carbs or a designated fuel injection within the cu/in limit. Then you have he SS record for the factory production classes W/power adders, and for good measure add a Outlaw/Pro mod open classes. There are so many forward thinking, machinists, engine builders,engineers, racers, that can push the mechanical envelope they need to get back to the meat and potatoes of how the sport evolved, (and get over themselves) and realize that a sanctioning body should not be biased by the sponsor dollar but by the bipartisan stance of creating a place for the sport to evolve and grow regardless of outcome...AKA random result earned through ingenuity, hard work, knowledge, desire and shear will of those involved. Rant over Evil or Very Mad
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R July 17th 2015, 1:44 am

dr's wife racing wrote:Pro stock was one of the best class's around. Now it equals the joke called NASCAR. They all look the same, they all run the same. They look nothing like street cars. All of NHRA pro class's are that way now. They have even made the fuel class's boring. The fuel class's were not my favorite but they were unpredictable and exciting. I realize that racing  needs to be as safe as possible but if you remove all of the excitement and danger no one wants to watch. Ive noticed that the stands at the last few NHRA Rae's look like NASCAR stands. Pretty empty. I hate it when the fans go away the sport dies.

X2 Very Happy

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE July 17th 2015, 4:14 am

I don't like this idea of revamping the P/S engine-body rules package. I prefer the current bodies all "slicked up" and more aero than OEM. And IMO NHRA should have gone much bigger than 500" loooong ago like IHRA did. Meh, just another reason to hate the NHRA IMHO.

Besides the new rules won't change a damn thing in the long run if the Ford bigwigs won't pull their heads out of their ass & spend some big money on the revamped class......no major Ford backing means P/S is still gonna be a chebby fest. And if the rules revamp ends up slowing them down a decent amount it really will be the death of the class.

DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow July 17th 2015, 7:10 am

i wanna know how this is going to effect the smaller scale guys right now ...example

Charlie westtcot

bought a mustang and 500" motors for his program , but has been doing all the work on his own and building a motor package the way he wants .

Basically in 2 year or when ever the changes are made the car and motor packages he has will become obsolete in pro stock , i like the direction and change is needed just sucks to see a guy like him or any other small team have to start over
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing July 17th 2015, 11:04 am

I think I have lost so much interest it will be hard to get my attention back to Nascar or NHRA. Grass roots racing is where it is at for me.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 17th 2015, 8:03 pm

Make a 358 c.I rule and allow supercharged engine.must be a production real ford, real chevy, etc. I guarantee they will run as fast as they are now.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle July 21st 2015, 8:27 am

Looks interesting from the article if it happens. I'd say let them run what the factory sells in the Mustang, Camaro, and Charger BUT allow for a max CI limit and a max on supercharger size, injector size, etc... But keep it to where the average Joe can still but these parts to keep the grassroots connection...

Let the PS class do things to these cars and engines that SS doesn't allow...

And then move PM to the big show on Sunday as well... Only things separating PS and PM now are power adders and cubes......

Maybe with NHRA switching off of ESPN I'll be more inclined to watch it again. I've not watched it more than I have simply because it's always pre-empted for some little league poker tournament or something else crazy like that...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper July 21st 2015, 9:30 am

I say they have to run a real production block, real production head, and at least the production case for the blowers.  Everything else let them eat!

And still have to manually shift even if it is a production type trans. Let them run a converter.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues July 21st 2015, 10:16 am

Im not sure you will see any changes soon. There is a ton of money tied up in pro stock where the rich boys play and they wont give that up easily. Pro Stock really dont care alot about the fans.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Pro Stock gonna change soon Empty April Fools Day

Post  supervel45 July 25th 2015, 9:41 pm

http://www.nhra.com/story/2015/7/25/pro-stock-changes/ Factory 200MPH HotRod class, HaHa.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  kim July 25th 2015, 10:12 pm

That hood scoop thing is going to pose a challenge. Had that rule not come out, simple throttle bodies on existing manifolds with injectors...... big deal.... Now, they have to cap the top, and put a big hole in the front, and feed the need....

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE July 26th 2015, 4:41 am

The air induction on the front of the cars will probably end up looking something like what was used on the old P/S truck class.

Shorter wheelie bars, smaller engines, OEM bodies........I can see it coming, the P/S minimum weight rule will end up having to be scraped in favor of the gotdamn fuuked up weight break rules like they used back in in the '70's.

DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 26th 2015, 7:56 am

I don't think this is gonna boost the interest or lack of. Hopefully, more changes will come later.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 26th 2015, 9:01 am

Positive direction..... But might as well be nothing.

I want stock bodies and engines back.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 26th 2015, 10:27 am

dfree383 wrote:Positive direction..... But might as well be nothing.

I want stock bodies and engines back.
I'm with you on this, and let multi cams in so Ford can play. If not take Stock out of the name of the class. 4.5" decals for manufacturer recognition, how do they come up with this stuff. The Fox Sports deal sounds good though.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick July 26th 2015, 1:15 pm

NHRA controls rpm limits. Mad So much for finding any advantage through revs and gearing. The NASCAR plan uses bonehead ideas like this and they play to smaller and smaller crowds.

Regulate the class to kill innovation and you'll kill the class, IMO.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper July 26th 2015, 5:16 pm

kim wrote:That hood scoop thing is going to pose a challenge.  Had that rule not come out, simple throttle bodies on existing manifolds with injectors......  big deal....  Now, they have to cap the top, and put a big hole in the front,  and feed the need....

Accufab tested with and without the hoodscoop and with a properly built pan leading backwards to where they had a couple of naca ducts located in the hood the cars ran faster. They said the hood scoops were monkey see monkey do.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next