BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serpentine or v belt?

+5
Coupe Devil
Mark Miller
jasonf
dfree383
rocketpony
9 posters

Go down

Serpentine or v belt? Empty Serpentine or v belt?

Post  rocketpony Thu 30 Jul 2015, 8:06 am

Car is nearing completion. So it's mainly a drag car, basically doesn't see any street use. It has jus an alternator . So jus I run a serpentine or v belt?
Pros n cons of both?
Thanks

rocketpony

Back to top Go down

Serpentine or v belt? Empty Re: Serpentine or v belt?

Post  dfree383 Thu 30 Jul 2015, 9:26 am

V belt is probably the cheapest
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf Thu 30 Jul 2015, 11:08 pm

rocketpony wrote:Car is nearing completion. So it's mainly a drag car, basically doesn't see any street use. It has jus an alternator . So jus I run a serpentine or v belt?
Pros n cons of both?
Thanks

Well to run a poly Vee belt (it's not technically a serpentine ) you need aftermarket pulleys or a set of truck pulleys. Below is what the stock pulleys look like and they can actually be hard to come by sometimes. They are also 2 deep which would be unnecessary if all you need is an alternator. You would also have to make a bracket for just an alternator if that is all you have. The vbelt pulleys would be lighter if that is an issue. Plus aluminum v-belt pulleys are more readily available.

Serpentine or v belt? 460%20stock%20f250%20pulleys%20and%20custom%20brackets_zps8c9amkpu
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rocketpony Thu 30 Jul 2015, 11:46 pm

Sorry I should have said car only has altanator

rocketpony

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller Fri 31 Jul 2015, 12:23 am

rocketpony wrote:Car is nearing completion. So it's mainly a drag car, basically doesn't see any street use. It has jus an alternator . So jus I run a serpentine or v belt?
Pros n cons of both?
Thanks

Electric Water Pump or belt driven?FYI 5.0 Mustang serpentine crank pulley and water pump pulley bolts onto 460.I have them on my 460 in my Fox Body 89 Mustang.The only thing i had to do to the 5.0 water pump pulley was ream the center hole out.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Coupe Devil Fri 31 Jul 2015, 6:59 am

Mark Miller wrote:
Pros n cons of both?
Thanks

Electric Water Pump or belt driven?FYI 5.0 Mustang serpentine crank pulley and water pump pulley bolts onto 460.I have them on my 460 in my Fox Body 89 Mustang.The only thing i had to do to the 5.0 water pump pulley was ream the center hole out.

Good to know. I have the pulleys to set mine up that way. Just have to figure the p.s. bracket out for now until I can get a manual rack.
Coupe Devil
Coupe Devil

https://www.facebook.com/NCSpeedlab

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf Fri 31 Jul 2015, 7:14 pm

rocketpony wrote:Sorry I should have said car only has altanator

You did say just alternator but that is the only picture I had of the truck pulleys.

I will have to look into the Mustang pulleys.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller Sat 01 Aug 2015, 12:46 am

Coupe Devil wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
Pros n cons of both?
Thanks

Good to know. I have the pulleys to set mine up that way. Just have to figure the p.s. bracket out for now until I can get a manual rack.

I had power steering on mine till the rack started leaking.I have a manual rack now,so my belt is around the water pump pulley,crank pulley and alternator.I just put the 5.0 water pump pulley on over the July 4th weekend.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Coupe Devil Tue 11 Aug 2015, 7:52 am

Mark Miller wrote:
Coupe Devil wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
Pros n cons of both?
Thanks

I had power steering on mine till the rack started leaking.I have a manual rack now,so my belt is around the water pump pulley,crank pulley and alternator.I just put the 5.0 water pump pulley on over the July 4th weekend.

Do you have a picture of your tensioner / alt mount?
Coupe Devil
Coupe Devil

Back to top Go down

Serpentine or v belt? Empty Serpentine

Post  MustangBBF Tue 11 Aug 2015, 12:58 pm

Here is a picture of my serpentine street setup.

Has not been ran yet as I am working on exhaust. I home built this.

PS & Hydraboost/Alternator/Standard Rotation on belt for stock WP/Vacuum Pump with a GM tensioner.

Cheers,

https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/19/29/35/79/20150610.jpg

MustangBBF

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf Tue 11 Aug 2015, 7:39 pm

MustangBBF wrote:Here is a picture of my serpentine street setup.

PS & Hydraboost/Alternator/Standard Rotation on belt for stock WP/Vacuum Pump with a GM tensioner.

Cheers,

Nice, where is the A/C compressor? Very Happy

Which pulleys are those?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller Wed 12 Aug 2015, 1:24 am

Coupe Devil wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
Coupe Devil wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
Pros n cons of both?
Thanks

I could e-mail you some if you would like me to,let me know.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Coupe Devil Wed 12 Aug 2015, 7:54 am

Sure. Bradleyrj@hotmail.com

Thanks
Coupe Devil
Coupe Devil

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller Thu 13 Aug 2015, 1:04 am

Coupe Devil wrote:Sure. Bradleyrj@hotmail.com

Thanks

I can't figure out how to email pictures on AOL now since i just have it for e-mail services.I'll see if i can download them onto photo bucket.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Hangman Thu 13 Aug 2015, 6:40 pm

MustangBBF wrote:Here is a picture of my serpentine street setup.

Cheers,

Just thinking here, but don't you want the tensioner on the other side?  The way it's sitting, it's got all the load from all the accessories, and it may be pulling on it too hard.  I built a similar set-up and have it on the lower left side, by the crank pully.  I've run mine and it works great.  Looks like we used the same tensioner too.

Serpentine or v belt? 124_zpst077ebds

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Hangman

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy Thu 13 Aug 2015, 10:43 pm

Hangman wrote:

Just thinking here, but don't you want the tensioner on the other side?  The way it's sitting, it's got all the load from all the accessories, and it may be pulling on it too hard.  I built a similar set-up and have it on the lower left side, by the crank pully.  I've run mine and it works great.  Looks like we used the same tensioner too.

Serpentine or v belt? 124_zpst077ebds

Sorry for the hi-jack.

This photo would need to be of a complete reverse rotation ENGINE for that to be true, (highly doubtful).
This crankshaft pulley, which does ALL the pulling, is not PULLING on the spring loaded tensioner at all.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hangman Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:35 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:

This photo would need to be of a complete reverse rotation ENGINE for that to be true, (highly doubtful).
This crankshaft pulley, which does ALL the pulling, is not PULLING on the spring loaded tensioner at all.

When I designed this system, I looked at a couple of aftermarket kits for big-blocks. I liked how Billet Specialties had everything arranged. Their kit is why I placed the tensioner where I did. Now, looking at their small-block kits, they have the tensioner on the other side. Mine seems to be working just fine, so I'm going to leave it alone. And the direction of the "push" of the tensioner matches a lot of the factory set-ups.

I think what you mean is that the belt is not pulling the tensioner in, making the belt tighter? If so, I've seen a lot going both directions too. Guess it doesn't really matter as long as it works.

Hangman

Back to top Go down

Post  MustangBBF Fri 14 Aug 2015, 8:17 am

The GM setup I pulled the tensioner off of was on the drivers side as well.

I ran out of real estate with the alternator and vacuum pump on the passenger side. The fox bodies are so tight its hard to fit everything.

I really, really hope it works on the drivers side. I spent a lot of time and $$ building that stupid plate just to have to scrap it.

MustangBBF

Back to top Go down

Post  Hangman Fri 14 Aug 2015, 12:15 pm

MustangBBF wrote:The GM setup I pulled the tensioner off of was on the drivers side as well.

I ran out of real estate with the alternator and vacuum pump on the passenger side. The fox bodies are so tight its hard to fit everything.

I really, really hope it works on the drivers side. I spent a lot of time and $$ building that stupid plate just to have to scrap it.

I felt the same way. Kind of nervous the first time it was started. Waiting for the belt to come off, get shredded or slip. After looking at other set-ups, I can't see a reason why it won't work. My first thought may have been a little premature to think the tensioner had to be on the other side. I hope it works for you too, it's a good looking set-up.

Hangman

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick Fri 14 Aug 2015, 3:06 pm

I'd guess that the tensioner can be on either side as long as there's a fixed pulley or a driven accessory between the the tensioner and the crank pulley.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf Sat 15 Aug 2015, 7:50 am

Are those Mustang pullies on there?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  MustangBBF Mon 17 Aug 2015, 8:30 am

Mustang pulleys on all except:

Vacuum pump = GZ motorsports 6 rib
Water Pump = ASP Thunderbird pump which is 6 groove for standard rotation

-Joe

MustangBBF

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller Thu 20 Aug 2015, 10:10 pm

Coupe Devil wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
Coupe Devil wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
Pros n cons of both?
Thanks

Serpentine or v belt? MarkMillers005

Here's the picture of my alternator bracket,i think the bracket is from a mid 70's Lincoln.A buddy of mine may he RIP made the spacers and the water pump pulley and crank pulley is from a 87-93 5.0 Mustang like i mentioned earlier.Sorry it took so long sometimes photo bucket is a pain in the butt.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum