BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 link rear set up

+2
72mav
69F100
6 posters

Go down

4 link rear set up Empty 4 link rear set up

Post  69F100 August 11th 2009, 9:37 pm

I am going with the 4 link under the ranger I was wondering what would be the best way to weld the brackets to the frame would it be better to add tubing to where it needs welded to the frame or will I have to cut and put a tubing rear on it i want everything good about 750 hp later down the road.
Thanks Jim
4 link rear set up RANGERBUILD008
4 link rear set up RANGERBUILD009
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

4 link rear set up Empty Re: 4 link rear set up

Post  72mav August 11th 2009, 11:41 pm

Hi Jim,
Street or strip?? If Strip, Id pull the cab and go with all 1-5/8 round tube chassis.
Have seen truck guys use the stock frame, but they all eventually go with a pipe-rack or 2x3 later on. Do it once and forget about it. The truck kits are crazy on price. Do some research and build it yourself. S.F.I. might have some truck specs . Rj racecars has a truck kit listed.
Check with rick532?,or rick632? on the old forum.He has Roy Hills old P.S. truck. Maybe ha can help.Good luck.
Al

Last edited by Al Martin on August 11th 2009, 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 12th 2009, 5:38 am

All depends on how much money you want to spend, how low you want the truck to sit, & how fast you want to go.

The cheapest/easiest route would be to keep the stock rear frame rails & go with ladder bars (instead of a 4-link) like Doug did on the other site. But when keeping the factory rails there will be a limit to how low you can set the truck before the housing hits the frame rails.

Next up would be again keeping the stock rear frame rails & weld in some dropped crossmembers to support 4-link chassis bracket attachment points. Again there will be a limit to how low you can set the truck with factory frame rails. And the dropped 4-link crossmember(s) might get a little complicated since they will have to run uphill & tie into both the cage & factory frame at some point.

Next is dumping the factory rear frame rails for a rear clip section out of tubing. This setup will allow you to set the truck a lot lower to the ground if you want. The limiting factor in this setup then becomes the factory front suspension.

And last is as Al suggested a full tube chassis, but at this point your talking about a bunch more complicated setup & a ton more money.

One neat thing about building a full chassis setup for a truck is if it doesn't have to "fit" any class rules (like the old Pro Stock trucks had to) you can "fudge" the bed & nose lengths around for better engine & driver placement. On a Ranger you could easily shorten the bed (at the cab) a good 10 -12 inches, and then stretch the nose about 5 - 8 inches for a better wheel base & weight bias profile.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 12th 2009, 7:04 am

To many $$$$ for tube chassis whan I probley want ever put over about 750hp in it
more than likely 2x3 rear section I now the front will limit to how low I can get and it will not be driven on the streets I am lowering the cab about 2" to help alittle
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon August 12th 2009, 3:15 pm

It would probably be easiest to just back-half it with new frame rails that are set up for a four-link....leave the front stock. I would think it would be much easier to do rather than trying to make the stock stuff work and, probably wouldn't cost much more money when you consider the time you will have in re-working the stock stuff, IMHO.

Jeff
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

4 link rear set up Empty 4 link

Post  merlinbob57 August 12th 2009, 8:43 pm

if you want ot keep the stock frame ,there's a guy out of kentucky or tennesee that sells a 4 link system that mounts to a 2x3 cross member that's supplied with the kit on flea bay or racejunk that's about 800.00 w/ allum single adj. coil overs , i found them by searching both sites whichever one they're on for ladder bars or 4 link , i can't remember which(i think it's racejunk.com) , but the kit is relatively easy to install ,the brackets and bars are fully adjustable , it looks as if it can be installed with your old suspension in place , to be remove after installation ( weld your crossmember , brackets and housing seats in first for alignment purposes )

merlinbob57

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 12th 2009, 9:12 pm

thanks marlinbob57 i will check it out see if they show a lay out or can send me a pick off the lay out
treeyasoon that avater that hourse is missing some ponys there but cool
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw August 19th 2009, 4:38 pm

did you find out what you are going to do?
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 19th 2009, 6:01 pm

I am going 4 link but not sure if I go with tube rear or use the frame of the truck and add some bracing for the 4 link ,have you got your 4 link deal worked out yet if you do pm me the price or post it ,it will be alittle later before I am able to get the 4 link setup I am going to leave the back bars to the rear off until I get it all figured out the money thing I am about tapped out right now got to save up some more.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum