BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Morel Lifters understood, thanks Chris Straub !!!

+5
jbozzelle
dfree383
cool40
Straubtech
Daytonatunnel
9 posters

Go down

Morel Lifters understood, thanks Chris Straub !!! Empty Morel Lifters understood, thanks Chris Straub !!!

Post  Daytonatunnel August 31st 2015, 5:11 pm

I hope I have a much better understanding of my Morel Lifters thanks the Chris. I installed them and had no oil to the top end, just like I've read. I gave it 2-3 minutes and still nothing. This was completely opposite of my old Comp Cams Solid Lifters which oiled ALL 16 in 20-30 seconds, and that was without rotating the crankshaft 1*. Before modifying the Morel's, I made a call to Chris. He explained it may take 40 minutes to get oil up top, especially with my 20-50 Penn oil. Sure enough, after about 6-7 minutes of my 1/2" Milwaulkee drill at full tilt oil started showing up on a few rockers. It took me about 45 minutes total, rolling the engine 20*-30* every 6-7 minutes before I got oil out of all 16 rockers. Oil pressure on the gauge said 60lbs with the drill. This is on a SVO Block with no lifter bore modifications.

I'm hoping this may be a large part of my lack of oil pressure after a 20-30 second pull at 6,500 rpms. My o/p was "OK", but after a longer pull it would drop, I'd lift when it got around 10-15lbs. It would return to decent o/p after a couple 5-10 seconds. Leading me to believe I was pumping all my oil up top, and after a few seconds the oil pan would refill. Chris and John have told me the top end needs a lot less than I thought, guess I'm gunna find out. Just thought I'd share my experience.
Daytonatunnel
Daytonatunnel

Back to top Go down

Morel Lifters understood, thanks Chris Straub !!! Empty Re: Morel Lifters understood, thanks Chris Straub !!!

Post  Straubtech August 31st 2015, 6:45 pm

Glad I could help.

Straubtech

Back to top Go down

Morel Lifters understood, thanks Chris Straub !!! Empty Re: Morel Lifters understood, thanks Chris Straub !!!

Post  cool40 August 31st 2015, 7:17 pm

So do you plan on going through that ritual every time you start it cold? confused
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 31st 2015, 7:34 pm

cool40 wrote:So do you plan on going through that ritual every time you start it cold? confused

X2 45 minutes with a drill is a bit extreme don't ya think ?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Straubtech September 1st 2015, 9:18 am

We see it with the BBC on builds also. A Dart block to prime with a 1/2" milwaukee drill takes at least 35 minutes.

Straubtech

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 1st 2015, 12:39 pm

But does it damage the engine with cold starts?

Or is it better to just take the dremel to it and cut a groove?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Straubtech September 1st 2015, 12:52 pm

jbozzelle wrote:But does it damage the engine with cold starts?

Once the engine is primed then oil is present in the entire system. The oil pump is driven by engine rpms.....HUGE difference over a drill even if it is a Milwaukee.

Very little oil is needed in a rollerized valvetrain. Oil is needed in crank and rods.

Straubtech

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 1st 2015, 7:32 pm

Only problem i have experienced is push rods. They tend to have a short life without oil present. Healthy spring pressure of course.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 1st 2015, 8:04 pm

Old or new Milwaukee drill ?

Here is he old version.

Morel Lifters understood, thanks Chris Straub !!! Beast%20beer_zpsuzeut2ug

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 1st 2015, 8:11 pm

Daytonatunnel wrote:I hope I have a much better understanding of my Morel Lifters thanks the Chris. I installed them and had no oil to the top end, just like I've read. I gave it 2-3 minutes and still nothing. This was completely opposite of my old Comp Cams Solid Lifters which oiled ALL 16 in 20-30 seconds, and that was without rotating the crankshaft 1*. Before modifying the Morel's, I made a call to Chris. He explained it may take 40 minutes to get oil up top, especially with my 20-50 Penn oil. Sure enough, after about 6-7 minutes of my 1/2" Milwaulkee drill at full tilt oil started showing up on a few rockers. It took me about 45 minutes total, rolling the engine 20*-30* every 6-7 minutes before I got oil out of all 16 rockers. Oil pressure on the gauge said 60lbs with the drill. This is on a SVO Block with no lifter bore modifications.

I'm hoping this may be a large part of my lack of oil pressure after a 20-30 second pull at 6,500 rpms. My o/p was "OK", but after a longer pull it would drop, I'd lift when it got around 10-15lbs. It would return to decent o/p after a couple 5-10 seconds. Leading me to believe I was pumping all my oil up top, and after a few seconds the oil pan would refill. Chris and John have told me the top end needs a lot less than I thought, guess I'm gunna find out. Just thought I'd share my experience.
That's some serious extremes, 20-30 seconds to 45 minutes. Just saying

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 1st 2015, 8:14 pm

jbozzelle wrote:But does it damage the engine with cold starts?

That's Keith Fulp's big dia. lifter on the right.....it's just a kitty kat scratch saves 45 minutes.

Morel Lifters understood, thanks Chris Straub !!! FulplifterMedium_zps0390f898

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 1st 2015, 8:26 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Old or new Milwaukee drill ?

Here is he old version.

I'd need at least 2 of the old ones to make it 45 minutes with a new one? confused drunken
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 1st 2015, 9:25 pm

I'd agree with Chris in a prostock type application, where valve train maintenance is taken to the extreme.

But for a sportsman application id want a little more oil on my top end, it helps keep things cool and last longer IMO.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 1st 2015, 10:51 pm

Straubtech wrote:We see it with the BBC on builds also.  A Dart block to prime with a 1/2" milwaukee drill takes at least 35 minutes.

Piss on that. Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 1st 2015, 11:44 pm

cool40 wrote:

Here is he old version.

I'd need at least 2 of the old ones to make it 45 minutes with a new one? confused drunken

X3...or one of the old ones and a die grinder with a custom bit What a Face drunken
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 2nd 2015, 12:18 am

FalconEh wrote:
cool40 wrote:

Here is he old version.

X3...or one of the old ones and a die grinder with a custom bit What a Face drunken
3 old ones for me and a new one for this guy to pump oil with,,,,he can handle it!
Morel Lifters understood, thanks Chris Straub !!! 20150818_235655
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down