BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corner weight opinions

5 posters

Go down

Corner weight opinions Empty Corner weight opinions

Post  biglucky September 29th 2015, 1:12 pm

I got my car scaled yesterday and im just trying to get some opinions.1979 Fairmont the weights before adjustment were LF-846 RF758-LR642 RR599.After adjustments LF877 RF725-LR612 RR630 .That is with me in the car and i weigh a slim 255.The engine is a 512 bbf with a glide and 4.00 rear gear best 60ft 1.26 and 1/8 5.88 117.00.I know it is way front heavy but like i said just looking for opinions and trying to learn something.Thanks
biglucky
biglucky

Back to top Go down

Corner weight opinions Empty Re: Corner weight opinions

Post  bowsher21 September 29th 2015, 5:24 pm

Coil overs on all 4 corners? is the rear end square in the car? Ride height set at starting point? Front alignment and bump done? Tires aired to racing pressures? Diameter of tires the same left to right? All fluids at ready to race levels? Panhard bar set? Time to go back to the scales, but get prepared.

It looks like you have a heavy left front. If you unscrew the coil over spring on the left, say 2 turns and add 2 turns to preload the right side spring, the ride height should remain the same but corner weight will change and become closer to even. You will have to watch the rear springs also. Weight will transfer diagonally and change ride heights. You will arrive at weights close to what you want but might/probably have to add ballast or move weight around to nail down the corner weights you want to see.

I would like to see one of the racing guru's on this site make a sticky like this http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/tuning-4-link.html
for 3link, 4bar, truck arm, ladder-bar and leaf spring rear suspension.
bowsher21
bowsher21

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 29th 2015, 5:43 pm

Does it go straight or nah?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  biglucky September 29th 2015, 6:16 pm

Yes to everything except it has a anti-roll bar on the rear.Car goes straight.I thought taking two turns out of the anti-roll bar and probably should have done that while it was on the scales.
biglucky
biglucky

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss September 29th 2015, 6:59 pm

I always start my corner weight adjustments with the arb disconnected and the ladder bar/ four link in a neutral state, top right four link bar disconnected.

Set my springs up so the rear weight is as equal as I can get.

Usually end up with the left front a bit heavy due to the driver etc on left side of car..

go to track and test...

adjust preload/arb as required from there.

Just my system, works for me..

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bowsher21 September 29th 2015, 11:23 pm

Yep, I also disconnect ARB when setting up on scales.
bowsher21
bowsher21

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 30th 2015, 2:51 am

biglucky wrote:.........before adjustment LF-846 RF758-LR642 RR599.
After adjustments LF877 RF725-LR612 RR630
biglucky wrote:.....Car goes straight.......

Is this Fairmont an aftermarket 4-link or ladder bar setup, or a stock suspension car?

Also gotta ask, if the car went straight before with the old corner weights, why fudge the weights around now and risk the car launching/driving crooked. Especially now since you have basically flipped the "heavy rear tire" from driver side to passenger side.

JMO if this is an aftermarket 4-link w/anti-roll or a ladder bar car (and it went straight before) it's a good possibility it will probably launch to the left now since the right rear is now heavier than before.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  biglucky September 30th 2015, 8:16 pm

It's a stock suspension with 29.5-10.5Ws.Just trying maybe stand on it a little more before the season is over.
biglucky
biglucky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down