BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would a front motor plate do for me?

+4
Greg_P
jbozzelle
richter69
Fast Fox
8 posters

Go down

What would a front motor plate do for me? Empty What would a front motor plate do for me?

Post  Fast Fox November 27th 2009, 11:22 am

I've got a fox with tubular k-member and such and my big block is sitting on mounts right now my car hooks hard and goes straight not too fast though only run 6.2 with 1.36 sixty foot. Also, car is a big tire car with ladder bars. What would the advantages be of putting a front motor plate in the car. Thanks for all input.

Last edited by Fast Fox on November 27th 2009, 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fast Fox
Fast Fox

Back to top Go down

What would a front motor plate do for me? Empty Re: What would a front motor plate do for me?

Post  richter69 November 27th 2009, 12:09 pm

without a midplate................prolly not a thing.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

What would a front motor plate do for me? Empty Re: What would a front motor plate do for me?

Post  jbozzelle November 27th 2009, 2:04 pm

If it works fine I'd leave it. My headers really dictated the plates. Wasn't any room for the mounts or k-member perches. Only real advantage it'll give you is more room for headers if you need it as well allow you to drop the engine down in the chassis, then you'll get into header/ground issues, etc...

Have any pics of your car you can post? I've got a big tire Fox as well.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Fast Fox November 27th 2009, 3:51 pm

Thanks for the response fellas! I here alot of bull and I am really not into doing work that doesn't need to be done I really appreciate the responses. Here's a couple pics J
What would a front motor plate do for me? My_b-d11
What would a front motor plate do for me? My_b-d12
What would a front motor plate do for me? My_b-d13
Fast Fox
Fast Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P November 27th 2009, 5:19 pm

I dig the color, and I like the hatch bodystyle as well.

Very cool car, bro!

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford November 29th 2009, 5:16 am

I'll sort'a side with Jon..

On a flip side I use plates both front & mids and the car goes low 6's @ 109 in the 1/8 mile with 10 inch tires. My 60's are around 1.5...

You asked for imput and my thinking is, I would go ahead with the mod..

Just my 2c..
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P November 29th 2009, 11:59 am

My car goes low 1.40 60 foots (Over 4000 lbs), and uses factory mounts. My guess is that if the mounts are working, you'd be wasting your time by swapping to plates.

Now, if you need the room for headers, want to move the engine back, have plans for more HP in the near future, etc... then the plates start making a whole lot of sense.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  nitro717 December 1st 2009, 9:12 pm

At one time Billy wouldnt put an engine together on a stand, but would set it on the floor...dont know if this still stands true.
What was said was it would distort the block...wonder what 700lbs sitting on the middle of the block does..?
nitro717
nitro717

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 1st 2009, 9:15 pm

I know Duffy wont even put the lateral limiters on the block like most do, he said it distorts the block and causes bearing issues. Now of course these are smallblocks going a hell of a lot faster than I am.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle December 1st 2009, 9:16 pm

Nice looking car. Who makes that hood? How tall is it?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Fast Fox December 1st 2009, 9:25 pm

Thanks for the compliments! The hood is a 5.5" Cowl hood from Cervini excellent quality under and above.
Fast Fox
Fast Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford December 3rd 2009, 12:14 am

nitro717 wrote:At one time Billy wouldnt put an engine together on a stand, but would set it on the floor...dont know if this still stands true.
What was said was it would distort the block...wonder what 700lbs sitting on the middle of the block does..?

Well said!

cat
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P December 3rd 2009, 10:24 am

700 lbs? Are we racing powerstrokes here or what?

As for what happens when 700 lbs is sitting on the middle of the block, I wonder what happens when 700 lbs is supported at the ends, and hangs in the middle?

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  nitro717 December 3rd 2009, 4:00 pm

welp throw one over your shoulder and tell me what the weight is...an iron headed BBF will get there quick.
most likely hanging one on the ends will cause it to blow the hell up
nitro717
nitro717

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane December 10th 2009, 12:38 pm

Fast Fox,What mounts are you running now? Has anybody ever heard of engine mounts causing block damage?
Shane
Shane

Back to top Go down

Post  canzus December 10th 2009, 1:58 pm

Greg_P wrote:700 lbs? Are we racing powerstrokes here or what?

As for what happens when 700 lbs is sitting on the middle of the block, I wonder what happens when 700 lbs is supported at the ends, and hangs in the middle?

Greg

You break the bell housing...
canzus
canzus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down