BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What cylinder head is the best for a stock block?

+7
jbozzelle
Lem Evans
the Coug
bruno
bigjohn2007
Diggindeeper
Fast Fox
11 posters

Go down

What cylinder head is the best for a stock block? Empty What cylinder head is the best for a stock block?

Post  Fast Fox November 28th 2009, 1:04 am

I have done quite a bit of research and still can't decide what head will be the absolute best for my application. The car is a 93 Fox hatch, big tire car, 9" rear with a 2 speed glide, none of that will ever change. Car has full cage race weight about 2700lbs. Currently has a 557 ci with a D3ve block and d0ve heads with extensive port work. Car runs 6.20's now shifting at 6400 on race gas will it be too much to ask to get some 5.8-5.9 with the best aluminum aftermarket head. I want the biggest/best aftermarket head out there for a stock block. So far I think the TFS TFS-5440T802 may be the absolute best is it or am I in left field. This is a big expense and all info is needed confused
Fast Fox
Fast Fox

Back to top Go down

What cylinder head is the best for a stock block? Empty Re: What cylinder head is the best for a stock block?

Post  Diggindeeper November 28th 2009, 1:35 am

I'm by no means an expert here, but theres not a "best" head per se....
from what i've seen people talk about on here, the P51 might be a good choice for you at your cubic inch.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

What cylinder head is the best for a stock block? Empty p-51

Post  bigjohn2007 November 28th 2009, 1:47 am

i would go with p-51 myself kaase put his heart and soul in them and as he says when it has his name on it pretty damn good
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

What cylinder head is the best for a stock block? Empty Re: What cylinder head is the best for a stock block?

Post  bruno November 28th 2009, 6:27 am

just to keep it in perspective here ....our edelbrock headed 562 @ 3200lbs went 5.80 @ 122 (motor only) 4 weeks ago .....so any one of those heads will net you far better numbers then that ......... the first thing you are going to have to think of is some better safety Wink

the head only is not going to cut it ................... its the whole package , head, custom cam, convertor etc..... just remember that , just by throwing on some magic scj, tfs, or p51 might not net you much if its the wrong package.

good luck Smile

Last edited by bruno on November 28th 2009, 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 28th 2009, 7:37 am

yes guys but if he goes with the SCJ or P51's he has to change pistons or renotch his present pistons... I personally would try a new set of the TFS Streets with the CNC program they are New from TFS.... then I would call Lem for a Camshaft to fit...

Fast fox give us some more engine Info like Cam, intake, carb, headers.

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 28th 2009, 10:44 am

The TFS A460 part # you quoted will make big power . The heads themselfs are the biggest bang for the buck but where they test the budget is they will require a new intake manifold and domed pistons .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 28th 2009, 11:33 am

I'd either go with the new TFS Street that is CNC'd or the P51. Both offer a bunch of head, already ported per se, for a good price. What compression ratio do you have now and what do you want in the end? Are you swapping just heads, or do you plan to swap pistons, or cut new reliefs, for the P51 valve angles if needed.

I've got a set of P51s just because they are already ported and won't need too much work in the future to go faster...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Fast Fox November 28th 2009, 11:44 am

Well all in all I only want to spend my money once. I don't really plan on getting an aftermarket block because I'm not a high roller so I want the best head I can get for the stock block if I were to have issues with mine I would replace it with another stocker. I saw that the tfs head I mentioned needed a different intake but didn't realize the piston issues. Right now I am running a 1050 race gas dominator, victor jr intake, ported d0ve heads, 13:1 compression domed probe pistons, and has a custom grind mechanical flat tappet cam from bullet racing cams mid 700 lift, and I got hooker super comp headers. Is there any head that would yeild me good power as more or less a bolt on style head or is my whole setup gonna need to be refurbished for the new heads no matter what my choice.
Fast Fox
Fast Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 28th 2009, 11:56 am

if you have domed pistons you more than likely have more than 13.1 comp, TFS Streets , Edelbricks(have large Chambers) just keep away from the ProCraps (proComp) all these heads have stock valve pierce points

I have flat tops zero decked in mine and it has 13.3, if you have domes you are higher....

Randy

Last edited by the Coug on November 28th 2009, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 28th 2009, 12:09 pm

The street heads would be the ticket for the least amount of hardware to change..............header fitment would be about the only issue, but the fox cars don't seem to have any problems there.

I know a guy that might part with a set of worked tfs streets for the right price................. Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 28th 2009, 12:30 pm

Jon I am going to be working on my heads I think there is a lot left in them.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 28th 2009, 12:40 pm

Yeah but for the right money I'd turn mine into a set of A460's in a heartbeat.......... Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 28th 2009, 1:10 pm

richter69 wrote:Yeah but for the right money I'd turn mine into a set of A460's in a heartbeat.......... Very Happy

yep but then you get into the traction problems again..... Shocked

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 28th 2009, 3:11 pm

Jon, you just can't stand to leave that damn car alone for more than a few months...

Since you already have some nice pistons, etc... I'd go with the TFS Streets. The pistons will work with those heads and you'll make some good power too.

I'd also go with a custom roller cam as well.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 28th 2009, 3:29 pm

You wont either once you get it going.

9.0's is boring...........need more power captain. Very Happy

Besides it aint coming apart until I get some cash in hand, and if i do then the next stage will begin. Pretty sure it will be running the same combo next season.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 28th 2009, 3:48 pm

What do you mean once I get it going?? It's still on the stands and it's gotten upgraded twice!

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 29th 2009, 12:23 am

If you don't want to change pistons, IMO, it's a no brainer. I agree w/Randy, the new TFS streets w/cnc program is the way to go. Same valve train,same header and will get you there w/Lem's cam choice. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jmayabb November 29th 2009, 9:38 pm

richter69 wrote:The street heads would be the ticket for the least amount of hardware to change..............header fitment would be about the only issue, but the fox cars don't seem to have any problems there.

I know a guy that might part with a set of worked tfs streets for the right price................. Wink

Who and how much Jon? My dad may be interested in a set.
jmayabb
jmayabb

http://www.joesraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fast Fox December 2nd 2009, 9:48 pm

So where do I find these new trick flow cnc'd heads you guys are talking about and what kinda price can't seem to locate them did a quick search guess I overlooked them scratch
Fast Fox
Fast Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty December 2nd 2009, 9:51 pm

Just give ole Lem a call and he'll set you up. Very Happy
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down