BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need F150 Ignition help

2 posters

Go down

I need F150 Ignition help Empty I need F150 Ignition help

Post  jones November 28th 2015, 6:03 pm

1984 F150 3 speed manual transmission 4.9 I6.

It was working great one day. At first I thought I pulled a wire loose after driving through a fresh cut-over. After doing a lot of looking around today I couldn't find anything that could have been pulled lose Like I thought there was. I checked the switch on the clutch pedal it appeared to be working in proper order. I would assume the starter ignition switch is working as the truck won't crank unless the key is in the run position.

How many more switches are there that could keep the truck from cranking over and where are they?

I did put a volt meter on the red wire coming to the starter relay. When I turn the key into the crank position i get 0.2 volts but it's not enough to energize the relay to power the starter.

I have been putting the key in the ignition and turn to the run position. Then I go under the hood and energize the relay to crank the engine. Once the engine is running I can kill it just by turning the key to the off position. is there any other safety switches other than the one on the clutch pedal?

jones

Back to top Go down

I need F150 Ignition help Empty Re: I need F150 Ignition help

Post  jones November 28th 2015, 8:34 pm

I think there is suppose to be a back-up / neutral safety switch threaded in some where on the NP435. I just can't find where it goes and what wires went to it. I'm looking over the internet and keep seeing stuff for the automatics and nothing for the 3 speed manual.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 November 28th 2015, 9:49 pm

Had the same problem on a van and changed the ignition switch and worked but it did it 3 more times in a yr. was always the switch.
freaking junk they make now

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones November 28th 2015, 10:05 pm

res0rli9 wrote:Had the same problem on a van and changed the ignition switch and worked but it did it 3 more times in a yr. was always the switch.
freaking junk they make now

The ignition switch isn't easy to get to!

I didn't think it would be the ignition switch because it won't crank if the ignition isn't in the run position and it will cut off with the ignition key.

There use to be a wiring harness that hung low under the truck. I'm pretty sure it was ripped out while I was off roading one day. Ever since then it won't spin over with the key. I'm pretty sure there is a reverse light switch / netural safety switch on the NP435 I just can't find it.

I'll probably try replacing the ignition switch and if that don't work I'll install a starter switch. I started to un-plug the wire going to the horn and plug it into the starter solenoid! That way I could just push the horn and crank the truck!! LoL

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 November 28th 2015, 10:14 pm

it mite not be ur problem like I said this was on a Van.  I wouldn't change the switch until I looked at everything else.
Now using the horn to start it is really thinking outside the box Cool

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones November 28th 2015, 11:16 pm

The wiring diagrams just aren't clear enough or in depth enough to show everything that has to happen to allow the solenoid to energize. Then the weird fact that I get .2 volts at the solenoid when I turn the ignition to the start position.

The only thing about wiring the starter into the horn, is that I could rat nest the starter real easy. If I bump it or honk the horn at someone! LoL

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down