BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One cylinder misfire and weird power balance results?

+8
jeffgfg
460bronco
69F100
FalconEh
maverick
supervel45
dfree383
83Farmboy
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

One cylinder misfire and weird power balance results? - Page 4 Empty Re: One cylinder misfire and weird power balance results?

Post  supervel45 February 5th 2016, 8:18 pm

I would go back and check all the positive and ground cable connections. You could also put a jumper cable across the starter solenoid when it acts up and see if anything changes. I would also load test the battery. If all is well change the starter.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

One cylinder misfire and weird power balance results? - Page 4 Empty Re: One cylinder misfire and weird power balance results?

Post  supervel45 February 5th 2016, 8:22 pm

As for as the carb. if the throttle shafts are worn out I would look for another one with good shafts to rebuild. You can likely rob good parts from the old one also to cut costs.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 February 5th 2016, 8:57 pm

I wouldn't waste my time on a used carb unless you can see it run before you buy it. Spend the $300 and get a new one you won't regret it. There is absolutely NOTHING more aggravating than trying to fix a P.O.S. carb that you probably can't fix. Smoothness and reliability is priceless. Basic Holley's and Edelbrock's are both in the low 300's. Glad you figured it out have fun with it.

As for the starting. Try lowering the timing a few degrees see how the hot start is then.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  83Farmboy February 5th 2016, 9:40 pm

The timing is now 2 degrees under where it says on the label and it didnt make a difference. Sheesh no telling but i want to know if the starter might still be useable. for $50 it isn't worth more headache.

Thanks I am going to replace with another vacuum secondary 4bbl whenever i get a new intake manifold and exhaust to match the CFM. for now this motorcraft with so low miles will get the truck moving and doing some shake down runs! thanks all i'll come back when its time to match a carb and intake to this!

83Farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 5th 2016, 10:05 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-Carburetor-GR-4585B-X11-10959-9834-3-0173-11081-/141877685308 Not saying you should get this particular one but, the List #9834 is about the best stock Holley for a stock automatic 460 on top of a Edelbrock Performer intake if you have to have an aluminum. Just my opinion.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick February 6th 2016, 8:55 pm

What did I win? Laughing
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4