BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Douple pinning cam-engine already together and running

+5
Lem Evans
richter69
Wheelie58
c.evans
away
9 posters

Go down

Douple pinning cam-engine already together and running Empty Douple pinning cam-engine already together and running

Post  away December 14th 2015, 5:41 pm

On an engine already put together how would one suggest adding a second pin to the cam? Drill and use some type of reamer and use a pin with lock-tite? or drill and tap it with a 1/4 20 thread and add another bolt?

What determines when this is needed? Spring pressure on heads? RPM?

Needed on a 800-850 HP solid roller lift deal?

I appreciate any feedback

Thanks
away
away

Back to top Go down

Douple pinning cam-engine already together and running Empty Re: Douple pinning cam-engine already together and running

Post  c.evans December 14th 2015, 7:35 pm

No can do. You'll get metal shavings in the engine and in the oil pan. Pull the cam, take it and the timing gear to a machine shop and have them do it.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Douple pinning cam-engine already together and running Empty Re: Douple pinning cam-engine already together and running

Post  Wheelie58 December 14th 2015, 7:40 pm

Like Charlie says....
The pin has a different reamer size for the cam, so the pin is pressed.
Clearance size reamer in the gear, so it slides off.
Most shops perform the operation with a fixture...in a mill so everything is straight and square.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 14th 2015, 8:27 pm

Shoulda done it from tbe git go, imo the 7/16 - 20 bolt is more important.

I do both on all sr cams
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans December 14th 2015, 8:31 pm

away wrote:On an engine already put together how would one suggest adding a second pin to the cam?  Drill and use some type of reamer and use a pin with lock-tite?  or drill and tap it with a 1/4 20 thread and add another bolt?

What determines when this is needed?  Spring pressure on heads?  RPM?

Needed on a 800-850 HP solid roller lift deal?

I appreciate any feedback

Thanks

Valve spring pressures?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  away December 15th 2015, 10:20 am

Thanks for all the responses.

I have never had an issue with this bc I use a good rod bolt and torque this bolt to the bolt specs.

I guess I am wondering why this is needed or suggested.

Thats why i asked about valve spring pressure on the heads. Is the second pin recommended when the valve spring pressure gets say over 220lbs on the seat or higher?

just wondering I guess.

away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 15th 2015, 10:47 am

away wrote:Thanks for all the responses.  

I have never had an issue with this bc I use a good rod bolt and torque this bolt to the bolt specs.

Thats why i asked about valve spring pressure on the heads.  Is the second pin recommended when the valve spring pressure gets say over 220lbs on the seat or higher?

just wondering I guess.

700/750 pounds force OPEN is about the threshold. A good thick hardened washer along with a high torque alloy 7/16" bolt is usually alright up to that point.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  68galaxie December 15th 2015, 11:43 am

I used a Danny Bee pin - which is supposed to be better than the pins supplied with the cam I was delivered.
I also used a modified SBC harmonic balancer bolt and thick washer.

Hopefully the combination will work out.

68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller December 16th 2015, 2:16 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
away wrote:Thanks for all the responses.  

Thats why i asked about valve spring pressure on the heads.  Is the second pin recommended when the valve spring pressure gets say over 220lbs on the seat or higher?

just wondering I guess.

700/750 pounds force OPEN is about the threshold.  A good thick hardened washer along with a high torque alloy 7/16" bolt is usually alright up to that point.

Randy,very good information thanks for sharing.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 16th 2015, 8:09 am

It's also very important to make sure everything goes together right and everything is flat against the part and the snout is not protruding out beyond the gear, also make sure the bolt does not bottom out then being installed.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down