BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hammer Mechanics and Idiots

3 posters

Go down

Hammer Mechanics and Idiots Empty Hammer Mechanics and Idiots

Post  SandHillsHillbilly January 17th 2016, 10:58 am

I was just killing time this morning enjoying my coffee and watching some car stuff on TV.

I witnessed a so called expert take a giant hammer and a big socket hammer a crank timing gear on. I don't mean gentle taps these were wallops. I cringed thinking about the thrust bearing!

Yeah I know there are times when a gentle persuasion is needed but if you need a giant hammer and wallops you are doing something wrong.

I use to work in a steel mill working on heavy machinery and they would hire mechanics as long as they brought their own hammer, channel locks, and adjustable wrench.

Just saw him file fit rings and not a one of them did he deburr the gap after grinding. IDIOTS getting paid to teach bad stuff.

Today should national idiots day so they can pass on their tricks of the trade. Post up your stupids you have seen.

SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Hammer Mechanics and Idiots Empty Re: Hammer Mechanics and Idiots

Post  rmcomprandy January 17th 2016, 1:03 pm

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:I was just killing time this morning enjoying my coffee and watching some car stuff on TV.

I witnessed a so called expert take a giant hammer and a big socket hammer a crank timing gear on. I don't mean gentle taps these were wallops. I cringed thinking about the thrust bearing!

Yeah I know there are times when a gentle persuasion is needed but if you need a giant hammer and wallops you are doing something wrong.

I use to work in a steel mill working on heavy machinery and they would hire mechanics as long as they brought their own hammer, channel locks, and adjustable wrench.

Just saw him file fit rings and not a one of them did he deburr the gap after grinding. IDIOTS getting paid to teach bad stuff.

I can definitely understand that you have never installed a lower sprocket for Jesel.

That thrust bearing should have no problem withstanding anything like that.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly January 17th 2016, 1:11 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:=
I can definitely understand that you have never installed a lower sprocket for Jesel.

Randy while I normally follow and respect your lead this time I can't bring myself to follow.

Proper honing or warming ( Not Heating) of that gear will hurt nothing and benefit installing. Taking a 5 pound hammer and pounding on the end of the crank sure can't help crank thrust clearances.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 17th 2016, 1:21 pm

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:=

Randy while I normally follow and respect your lead this time I can't bring myself to follow.

Proper honing or warming ( Not Heating) of that gear will hurt nothing and benefit installing. Taking a 5 pound hammer and pounding on the end of the crank sure can't help crank thrust clearances.

You can certainly DO whatever you want but, to pass judgement on others simply because of uneducated experience is not a good thing to do in any walk of life.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly January 17th 2016, 1:41 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
You can certainly DO whatever you want but, to pass judgement on others simply because of uneducated experience is not a good thing to do in any walk of life.

Randy, I would never place you in that category with them. As far as being uneducated you are making an assumption that is completely wrong. While I may have never put on a Jesel gear, I have had a lifetime of producing precision engine parts. You have, no doubt in my mind, even used a few of the parts I have made. We just have a different way of doing things. You like the brute force method where as I would rather finesse it.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 18th 2016, 1:29 am

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Randy, I would never place you in that category with them. As far as being uneducated you are making an assumption that is completely wrong. While I may have never put on a Jesel gear, I have had a lifetime of producing precision engine parts. You have, no doubt in my mind, even used a few of the parts I have made. We just have a different way of doing things. You like the brute force method where as I would rather finesse it.  

If you have never put on a Jesel belt drive crankshaft gear then you ARE uneducated about that experience ... everybody is uneducated about somethings.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 18th 2016, 2:52 am

I'm not known to use a large hammer in MOST cases on engine assembly,BUT id say that 5lb hammer is nothing compared to a 10k rpm launch in a ProStock engine thrust bearing.jmo

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down