BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some help with this old carb...

+3
cool40
rmcomprandy
jbozzelle
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need some help with this old carb... Empty Need some help with this old carb...

Post  jbozzelle February 26th 2016, 12:16 pm

It's a 2bbl Holley

LIST 8000-1 0840

I can't find anything on it. Doesn't show in the master list on Holley's site. I need a rebuild kit for it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Need some help with this old carb... Empty Re: Need some help with this old carb...

Post  rmcomprandy February 26th 2016, 12:26 pm

jbozzelle wrote:It's a 2bbl Holley

LIST 8000-1 0840

I can't find anything on it.  Doesn't show in the master list on Holley's site.  I need a rebuild kit for it.  

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

It may be an original OEM number where it won't show-up on aftermarket lists. What model carb is it...?

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Need some help with this old carb... Empty Re: Need some help with this old carb...

Post  jbozzelle February 26th 2016, 1:24 pm

No idea on model number. Looks like half of a 600 vac sec carb. Side entry fuel bowl. And has some sort of lever on top of the bowl. No choke, or at least it's removed...

Would there be any other numbers on there that could help?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 February 26th 2016, 2:14 pm

Get a kit for a old 600? We had a couple of them years ago like that,even one with a center hung float like a 750.i just used the 4 kits and had parts left. Cool
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 26th 2016, 5:50 pm

jbozzelle wrote:No idea on model number.  Looks like half of a 600 vac sec carb.  Side entry fuel bowl.  And has some sort of lever on top of the bowl.  No choke, or at least it's removed...
Would there be any other numbers on there that could help?

Sounds as though it may be a secondary carb from a Ford FE tri-power or a replacement for such.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior February 26th 2016, 6:17 pm

John
I have some old kits from our local speed shop when it closed..
I'll look thru them and see what I might have..
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 26th 2016, 6:43 pm

http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_carb_numerical_listing.pdf If you have the List number it is likely in here.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 26th 2016, 7:21 pm

https://partsforspeed.com/home/air-fuel-delivery/carburetors-accessories/carburetor-rebuild-kits/aed-holley-2300a-2-barrel-alcohol-carburetor-rebuild-kit-2.html Well Hell, I did not see you put the list number in your first post, and I did not see it in the link I provided either. It appears to be listed in this rebuild kit if my eyes are not lying.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 27th 2016, 4:07 pm

Here's some pics that may help.  I was told the carb is not original to this truck, but who knows.  It's on a Y block in a 56 F100.

Need some help with this old carb... IMG_5673_zpsyotol5mj

Need some help with this old carb... IMG_5674_zpsfb01dco5

Need some help with this old carb... IMG_5675_zpsku3d4pw6

Need some help with this old carb... IMG_5676_zpsjiyk9uv9

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 27th 2016, 9:28 pm

Don't think Ford trucks had A/T kickdown levers in 1956 or vacuum advance
distributors either.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 28th 2016, 12:45 am

Judging from the photos ... it appears to be a street legal, direct replacement, 2 barrel, 280cfm carb which Holley aftermarket released for Ford / Mercury "bolt-on" replacement on vehicles from 1977 to 1981 which originally came equipped with the "Variable Venturi" carburetor.
There should be some kind of mounting for a Holley TPS P/N 11-505 on the chock side of the throttle shaft.

1-591 was the carburetor part number. The choke has been changed as it came with an electric choke cover.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 28th 2016, 11:20 am

Thanks Randy.  I remember those.  My first car was a 81 LTD with that carb.  I chucked it for a manifold and carb from an early 70's truck and we figured out how to make the TV rod work with the trans...

Few questions...  What's the linkage and nipple on top of the fuel bowl for?  Some sort of vapor recovery deal?

And is it worth rebuilding this or am I better digging up a more basic 2300 to stick on this?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffgfg February 28th 2016, 11:48 am

supervel45 wrote:Don't think Ford trucks had A/T kickdown levers in 1956 or vacuum advance
distributors either.
I believe the "kickdown levers" you believe you are seeing are actually the throttle linkage. Also I believe later car engines had Vac advance dist. for the Y blocks.

jeffgfg

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 28th 2016, 4:19 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Thanks Randy.  I remember those.  My first car was a 81 LTD with that carb.  I chucked it for a manifold and carb from an early 70's truck and we figured out how to make the TV rod work with the trans...

Few questions...  What's the linkage and nipple on top of the fuel bowl for?  Some sort of vapor recovery deal?

And is it worth rebuilding this or am I better digging up a more basic 2300 to stick on this?

That is merely a vent when the throttle is at idle, (the linkage opens the vent only near idle), which went to a carbon canister because of hydrocarbon emisions.

That Fuel bowl is a "one of a kind" with the fuel inlet in the same place as the Autolite carb it replaces. Normal side hung floats on a Holley 2300 model carb have the fulcrum and fuel inlet on the throttle side of the carb.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 28th 2016, 9:55 pm

Thanks guys!

It has a small flat spot that I need to figure out. Not sure if it has a power valve in it or not?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 28th 2016, 10:11 pm

jeffgfg wrote:
supervel45 wrote:Don't think Ford trucks had A/T kickdown levers in 1956 or vacuum advance
distributors either.
I believe the "kickdown levers" you believe you are seeing are actually the throttle linkage. Also I believe later car engines had Vac advance dist. for the Y blocks.
OK, my mistake, I see the rod attached to the bowl vent, it looked like an A/T kickdown at first glance. On my old 292 I found a TBird 4 barrel intake and put a 600 Holley 1850 on it with a TBird drivers side exhaust manifold, deleted the crossover pipe and dualed it out. Really woke up the old truck but I believe it had a mild mechanical cam and 3.90 gears. If you don't want to do all that I would look at a 500cfm holley 2 barrel.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 29th 2016, 12:48 am

jbozzelle wrote:Thanks guys!

It has a small flat spot that I need to figure out.  Not sure if it has a power valve in it or not?

It does have a power valve ... the idle systems were a bit lean in those carbs.  Enlarging the idle fuel feed a couple thousandths, (about 5%), will help cure the problem.  (The idle air bleed can be made about .007" smaller instead, if you like to do it that way).

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 29th 2016, 9:15 am

supervel45 wrote:              On my old 292 I found a TBird 4 barrel intake and put a 600 Holley 1850 on it with a TBird drivers side exhaust manifold, deleted the crossover pipe and dualed it out. Really woke up the old truck but I believe it had a mild mechanical cam and 3.90 gears. If you don't want to do all that I would look at a 500cfm holley 2 barrel.  

Not trying to hot rod this one.  It'll be a near close to original surviving driver.  It's for my wife.  She inherited it from her Dad last year and it needs just a few things before she can cruise it around.

rmcomprandy wrote:          It does have a power valve ... the idle systems were a bit lean in those carbs.  Enlarging the idle fuel feed a couple thousandths, (about 5%), will help cure the problem.  (The idle air bleed can be made about .007" smaller instead, if you like to do it that way).  

Thanks again Randy.

Can't seem t find a rebuild kit for it easily. Do you know if it shares the metering block and bowl gaskets with other Holley carbs? If so, I can get that local real easy...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 29th 2016, 10:17 am

http://www.allcarbs.com/detail.php?pid=630&mfgn=1&ctgn=10&stt=10&gb=2 From what I have found the rebuild kit I linked even though it was for an alky carb had your list number and this link also puts the VV carbs in the 2300 Holley series. I bet the gaskets are the same but, cant't be sure.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 29th 2016, 10:30 am

Call 631-234-8327 and ask for Jim from the link above. He said he can put a kit together for $38 plus $7.00 shipping. He claimed the power valve and baseplate gasket was different then regular Holley 2300's off the top of his head.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 29th 2016, 10:35 am

jbozzelle wrote:Thanks guys!

It has a small flat spot that I need to figure out.  Not sure if it has a power valve in it or not?

2 stage power valve transitioning?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 29th 2016, 11:55 am

jbozzelle wrote:
supervel45 wrote:              On my old 292 I found a TBird 4 barrel intake and put a 600 Holley 1850 on it with a TBird drivers side exhaust manifold, deleted the crossover pipe and dualed it out. Really woke up the old truck but I believe it had a mild mechanical cam and 3.90 gears. If you don't want to do all that I would look at a 500cfm holley 2 barrel.  

Not trying to hot rod this one.  It'll be a near close to original surviving driver.  It's for my wife.  She inherited it from her Dad last year and it needs just a few things before she can cruise it around.

rmcomprandy wrote:          It does have a power valve ... the idle systems were a bit lean in those carbs.  Enlarging the idle fuel feed a couple thousandths, (about 5%), will help cure the problem.  (The idle air bleed can be made about .007" smaller instead, if you like to do it that way).  

Thanks again Randy.

Can't seem t find a rebuild kit for it easily.  Do you know if it shares the metering block and bowl gaskets with other Holley carbs?  If so, I can get that local real easy...

Your "NON feedback version is about the same as a 350 cfm aftermarket 2 barrel. The feedback version carb has different metering block and bowl gaskets.
Your carb probably has gigantic boosters in it which diminishes the total airflow.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 29th 2016, 1:09 pm

Thanks guys. I'll give Jim a shout on the rebuild kit. Looks like he's got some good prices on stuff too. I'll have to keep him in mind for the future...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 29th 2016, 2:46 pm

I think I will write his number on the wall to, I accidently found the place looking for your ghost carb. He also sells gaskets individually which can save some money sometimes if you don't need a whole kit.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle April 25th 2016, 2:06 pm

Still having issues with this carb.  Changed out the dual stage power valve (blown) for a 4.5, cleaned it up and put it back together.  Runs a bit better, idles much better but still has somewhat of a flat spot.

It does have 47 jets in it which seem awfully small to me.  The truck came from Colorado at an elevation of about 5-6000 feet with low humidity.  It's at sea level now with more humidity. Would it benefit from more jet?  Might need to try increasing the pump shot too...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next