BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to site... Original '71 Mustang 429 cobra jet C-6 #'s matching 1 of 4 in Pastel Blue

+2
69F100
Pastel Blue
6 posters

Go down

New to site... Original '71 Mustang 429 cobra jet C-6 #'s matching 1 of 4 in Pastel Blue  Empty New to site... Original '71 Mustang 429 cobra jet C-6 #'s matching 1 of 4 in Pastel Blue

Post  Pastel Blue March 7th 2016, 9:53 pm

As noted, a rare car I am currently restoring. The body will be coming home at the end of March after spending the last 16 weeks in the shop after a rotisserie body and paint application. The fun begins with the re-assembly, including the tear down and refurbishment of the engine where necessary, in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the history and current state of the engine, it was running well (slight ticking noise from the valve train), before the tear down. Did a compression check, all cylinders at about 130-135 ft/lbs, one cylinder was maybe 120-125...

Would like to get some assistance/opinions as I start to tear the motor down to see where I need to go. I removed the valve covers and this area of the engine is extremely clean, no build up what so ever. The car sat in a barn for the last 14 years untouched, not started, etc. In fact, if you have access to the September, 2015 Mustang Monthly magazine, this car is on the cover being shown pulled out of the barn in Spokane WA. It now resides in the Niagara, Ontario, Canada area. I am a long time Ford/Mustang guy and I previously owned another BB '71 429cj Mach 1 for 18 years.

Due to spending basically all of the budget for this year on the body/paint (way to much...), I am looking to save on other areas moving forward, only if possible. I wont put the engine back in the car if I am not sure it will last...

The car is being finished in show form, and the engine will remain basically stock (at least on the exterior), maybe with a some internal upgrades as long as it is not too radical; but will be driven and very well maintained moving forward.

Hope I can get some constructive responses from this group moving forward. Cheers.

...What's up? It wont let me post a picture? Says max size = 0Mb???

Pastel Blue

Pastel Blue

Back to top Go down

New to site... Original '71 Mustang 429 cobra jet C-6 #'s matching 1 of 4 in Pastel Blue  Empty Re: New to site... Original '71 Mustang 429 cobra jet C-6 #'s matching 1 of 4 in Pastel Blue

Post  69F100 March 7th 2016, 10:47 pm

Pastel Blue wrote:

As noted, a rare car I am currently restoring. The body will be coming home at the end of March after spending the last 16 weeks in the shop after a rotisserie body and paint application. The fun begins with the re-assembly, including the tear down and refurbishment of the engine where necessary, in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the history and current state of the engine, it was running well (slight ticking noise from the valve train), before the tear down. Did a compression check, all cylinders at about 130-135 ft/lbs, one cylinder was maybe 120-125...

Would like to get some assistance/opinions as I start to tear the motor down to see where I need to go. I removed the valve covers and this area of the engine is extremely clean, no build up what so ever. The car sat in a barn for the last 14 years untouched, not started, etc. In fact, if you have access to the September, 2015 Mustang Monthly magazine, this car is on the cover being shown pulled out of the barn in Spokane WA. It now resides in the Niagara, Ontario, Canada area. I am a long time Ford/Mustang guy and I previously owned another BB '71 429cj Mach 1 for 18 years.

Due to spending basically all of the budget for this year on the body/paint (way to much...), I am looking to save on other areas moving forward, only if possible. I wont put the engine back in the car if I am not sure it will last...

The car is being finished in show form, and the engine will remain basically stock (at least on the exterior), maybe with a some internal upgrades as long as it is not too radical; but will be driven and very well maintained moving forward.

Hope I can get some constructive responses from this group moving forward. Cheers.

...What's up? It wont let me post a picture? Says max size = 0Mb???

Pastel Blue

Welcome to the best BBF site if you have photobucket try that but it might take a week or so before you can post pics
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

New to site... Original '71 Mustang 429 cobra jet C-6 #'s matching 1 of 4 in Pastel Blue  Empty Re: New to site... Original '71 Mustang 429 cobra jet C-6 #'s matching 1 of 4 in Pastel Blue

Post  supervel45 March 7th 2016, 10:53 pm

The compression test numbers sound a little low to me for a high compression CJ. I would take the engine down for inspection and go from there. I love that body style and actually posted up a 1972 Fast Back with a Cleveland for sale today that was in my area but, it was more of a clone deal.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

New to site... Original '71 Mustang 429 cobra jet C-6 #'s matching 1 of 4 in Pastel Blue  Empty New to site... Original '71 Mustang 429 cobra jet C-6 #'s matching 1 of 4 in Pastel Blue

Post  Pastel Blue March 12th 2016, 8:28 pm

test

Pastel Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 12th 2016, 8:48 pm

Test what? Suspect

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 12th 2016, 8:51 pm

If that engine sat for 14 years the rings may have gummed up and stuck to the pistons and could be why you have low compression numbers.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 12th 2016, 8:54 pm

Might want to post these questions in the engine tech section for more response also.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastel Blue March 13th 2016, 9:59 am

So..., is there a remedy for the possibility of the rings gumming up? the engine may have run for a total of a couple hours on and off since being pulled out of the shed and my removing the engine. Did it need time to restore itself ie. gum removal or is this something that cannot be undone by running?

I will get more involved in the engine Tech section as I start to get into the engine tear down in the near future. Just wish I could post pictures on this site??? Still showing 0 mB available for me to add pictures...

Pastel Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 13th 2016, 10:21 am

You can do a leak down test if the heads are still on it and see what you have but, at this point it really does not matter if you are going to rebuild it. Use Photobucket, it is kind of a slow process. You may be able to use Dropbox from a Iphone but not sure of the details.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 13th 2016, 10:25 am

An old trick was to put some Marvels Mystery Oil in with the engine oil to help loosen stuck rings and varnish.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino March 14th 2016, 1:55 am

On a side note, I once seen a 71 fastback with a 429CJ, but it was a standard fastback, it was not a Mach 1.
Owner said it was one of 16 built that way.
Would any of the Mustang purists know anything about that??
I tried to buy it from the old guy, but he wouldn't sell.
He had a yard full of old cars, some nice Galaxies, Ranchero's, and Falcons too.
About 4-5 years after I looked at the car, a fire destroyed 90% of all the old cars on his property. The burned up shells were hauled off for scrap, I guess.
But that Mustang was the only kind I ever seen like it....big block, no stripes or spoilers, rootbeer brown paint, matching brown interior.
Now it don't exist anymore No

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  TommyK March 14th 2016, 5:38 am

I believe they made 50 429 SCJ Sportsroof (non Mach I) Mustangs in 71.

TommyK

Back to top Go down

New to site... Original '71 Mustang 429 cobra jet C-6 #'s matching 1 of 4 in Pastel Blue  Empty parts

Post  47cobra March 27th 2016, 11:30 am

Hi there, I have some new and original interior parts and chrome from my 73 Mach 1 for sale if interested

47cobra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down