BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holley or Weber carburator

+5
Mustang-junky
supervel45
res0rli9
BBFTorino
jones
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Holley or Weber carburator - Page 2 Empty Re: Holley or Weber carburator

Post  FalconEh April 2nd 2016, 10:33 pm

jones wrote:I decided to pull the engine to replace the clutch. I'm going to replace the oil pump, water pump, gaskets, timing gears, camshaft, lifters, check the valve springs if not replace and lap the valves.

Should I replace the freeze plugs, I see that they are crusty and rusty?

I do not think I have ever pulled one and not changed them, it is as easy and cheaper than every other part you are going to replace.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  jones April 3rd 2016, 1:11 am

Very true.

(I was surprised at how bad the bushings are in the water pump.) I was wondering why the coolant level would never stay up. I was thinking it had a blown head gasket but I never noticed any smell or steam coming from the exhaust. I guess it was leaking out the water pump and I never noticed.

(The oil pan gasket has a good leak so I wanted to replace it and I might as well replace the oil pump since the pan will be off.) I noticed after I bought the truck the engine had a lot of sludge. I started running Delo 400 because I have had good luck with it breaking down the sludge. So, I'm interested to see if the pick-up is blocked any as well.

I also want to check all the push rods to make sure none are bent because I have a valvetrain noise and a crazy problem with three of the cylinders not running as good as the other three when cold.

I can't decide if I should go with a towing camshaft or 4x4/offroad camshaft. Currently the engine will pull a house down if I drive no faster than 45mph. When I try to tow at 60-65mph it won't do it. I won't have to down shift, it just drops to 45-50mph. (It currently has 3.08 gears and 31" tall tires.) I will be changing the gears too 4.11 3.9's and 33 or 35" tall tires.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 April 3rd 2016, 6:00 am

jones wrote:I decided to pull the engine to replace the clutch. I'm going to replace the oil pump, water pump, gaskets, timing gears, camshaft, lifters, check the valve springs if not replace and lap the valves.

Should I replace the freeze plugs, I see that they are crusty and rusty?

I would change the freeze plugs with brass ones, run a ball hone down the cylinders and replace the rings too if you are going do do all that other stuff, as well as check the bearings. As far as the timing gears or you sure they need replacing?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 3rd 2016, 9:49 am

jones wrote:Very true.

(I was surprised at how bad the bushings are in the water pump.) I was wondering why the coolant level would never stay up. I was thinking it had a blown head gasket but I never noticed any smell or steam coming from the exhaust. I guess it was leaking out the water pump and I never noticed.

(The oil pan gasket has a good leak so I wanted to replace it and I might as well replace the oil pump since the pan will be off.) I noticed after I bought the truck the engine had a lot of sludge. I started running Delo 400 because I have had good luck with it breaking down the sludge. So, I'm interested to see if the pick-up is blocked any as well.

I also want to check all the push rods to make sure none are bent because I have a valvetrain noise and a crazy problem with three of the cylinders not running as good as the other three when cold.

I can't decide if I should go with a towing camshaft or 4x4/offroad camshaft. Currently the engine will pull a house down if I drive no faster than 45mph. When I try to tow at 60-65mph it won't do it. I won't have to down shift, it just drops to 45-50mph. (It currently has 3.08 gears and 31" tall tires.) I will be changing the gears too 4.11 3.9's and 33 or 35" tall tires.

If you going thru all the trouble put some rings and bearings in it if nothing is worn too bad, if it's worn just rebuild it.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 April 3rd 2016, 2:47 pm

dfree383 wrote:
jones wrote:Very true.

If you going thru all the trouble put some rings and bearings in it if nothing is worn too bad, if it's worn just rebuild it.

^^^^ Same, pull down and see what you have and go from there. I would pick a cam that the cruise rpm lines up with your gearing and tire size and compression ratio and forget monikors like RV/Towning and 4x4, they are meaningless.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum