BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCORPION ROLLER ROCKERS?

+6
Mike R
BigBlockRanger
HorsinAround
away
rmcomprandy
Wayne Pearce
10 posters

Go down

SCORPION ROLLER ROCKERS? Empty SCORPION ROLLER ROCKERS?

Post  Wayne Pearce March 22nd 2016, 7:49 am

I'm looking to buy a set of new roller rockers, and I was looking at Scorpions based on price. Can anybody tell me if they're a good deal as compared to Harland Sharp, or Crane? Are they sturdy enough for a mild 521 build with a "street mechanical roller" with a lift not exceeding the low .700 range? Also, where are they made?

Wayne

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

SCORPION ROLLER ROCKERS? Empty Re: SCORPION ROLLER ROCKERS?

Post  rmcomprandy March 22nd 2016, 8:58 am

Made in the USA and strong enough for your application.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  away March 22nd 2016, 9:04 am

I have these on a 532 solid roller deal bounce
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround March 22nd 2016, 1:29 pm

I ran them on my 470 pulling truck motor where every pass we buzzed it 8200-9000. After 4 years, I had to replace 3 of them as the bearings were not rolling freely. They impressed me enough that I bought a set for my new drag truck project with a 514.

Alan
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger March 22nd 2016, 2:13 pm

I've run them for years. Great product and great warranty.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce March 22nd 2016, 2:25 pm

Thanks for your replies, my order is placed.

Wayne

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R March 22nd 2016, 11:42 pm

Great product and great warranty. [/quote]

Life time warranty last I heard. Got mine new from a guy that got them replaced no charge.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 23rd 2016, 12:36 am

Wayne Pearce wrote:I'm looking to buy a set of new roller rockers, and I was looking at Scorpions based on price.  Can anybody tell me if they're a good deal as compared to Harland Sharp, or Crane?  Are they sturdy enough for a mild 521 build with a "street mechanical roller" with a lift not exceeding the low .700 range?  Also, where are they made?

Wayne
Check those in your PM box.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce March 23rd 2016, 7:06 am

I am!

Wayne

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  1982GT March 23rd 2016, 7:52 am

I've just bought a set that I'm getting ready to install.
1982GT
1982GT

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 23rd 2016, 12:59 pm

Wayne Pearce wrote:I am!

Wayne
Wow they went to war on that set. I guess $260 to the door is not to bad on a $300 plus set of rockers.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 23rd 2016, 1:00 pm

Wayne Pearce wrote:I am!

Wayne

Check his other stuff out he has 427FE parts and a bunch of old Ford gooodies.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane March 23rd 2016, 1:46 pm

Wayne Pearce wrote:I'm looking to buy a set of new roller rockers, and I was looking at Scorpions based on price.  Can anybody tell me if they're a good deal as compared to Harland Sharp, or Crane?  Are they sturdy enough for a mild 521 build with a "street mechanical roller" with a lift not exceeding the low .700 range?  Also, where are they made?

Wayne
They are manufactured in Florida.  In my opinion, they are entry level cheapo stud rocker arms that are competitively priced relative to their overall design.  I have used them on flat tappet applications but don't use them on big solid roller valve trains for a number of reasons.

If I were forced to choose between the three brands you noted in your original post, I'd opt for the Crane rockers.  That being said, the ideal rocker arm(s) cannot be selected without knowing more details of the build.  But ya, the scorps will open and close the valves....
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround March 24th 2016, 11:51 am

Not gonna argue with you Paul. I know you have built way more engines than I have. I can only post my experience with them. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have installed Jesel's but decided to put the money elsewhere. Below I posted a link to my Youtube channel, and you can see that we buzzed the motor, and the scorpions handled the job nicely. I ran an .800 lift cam with Manley nex tech triple springs.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWVSa5kgbGqcpaZUgesS4JQ
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane March 24th 2016, 1:40 pm

HorsinAround wrote:Not gonna argue with you Paul....I can only post my experience with them....I would have loved to have installed Jesel's but decided to put the money elsewhere. Below I posted a link to my Youtube channel, and you can see that we buzzed the motor, and the scorpions handled the job nicely. I ran an .800 lift cam with Manley nex tech triple springs.

No-one in this thread is comparing Scorpion to Jesel shaft rocker arms.

The original inquiry was for opinions between Crane, H-S, and Scorpion stud rocker arms. The OP simply asked which brand each of us might opt for, and between the three stud rocker arm options presented and based on the limited engine combo info my recommendation is for the Crane rockers.  If you opt for the scorps then present your choice to him, not me--you already know how I feel about them.

Incidentally, it seems the purpose of your video is to show me a roller cammed, high rpm engine that is running successfully with Scorpion rocker arms. For the record, what I see is an explosive device where the rocker arms are the fuse. But don't worry, Alan, should the engine self destruct as a result of a failed rocker arm Scorpion has a lifetime warranty and will replace your grenaded engine with a brand new rocker arm...and it will be identical in design and materials to the one that broke all on its own in the first place. Wink
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround March 24th 2016, 2:12 pm

Paul Kane wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:Not gonna argue with you Paul....I can only post my experience with them....I would have loved to have installed Jesel's but decided to put the money elsewhere. Below I posted a link to my Youtube channel, and you can see that we buzzed the motor, and the scorpions handled the job nicely. I ran an .800 lift cam with Manley nex tech triple springs.

No-one in this thread is comparing Scorpion to Jesel shaft rocker arms.

The original inquiry was for opinions between Crane, H-S, and Scorpion stud rocker arms. The OP simply asked which brand each of us might opt for, and between the three stud rocker arm options presented and based on the limited engine combo info my recommendation is for the Crane rockers.  If you opt for the scorps then present your choice to him, not me--you already know how I feel about them.

Incidentally, it seems the purpose of your video is to show me a roller cammed, high rpm engine that is running successfully with Scorpion rocker arms. For the record, what I see is an explosive device where the rocker arms are the fuse. But don't worry, Alan, should the engine self destruct as a result of a failed rocker arm Scorpion has a lifetime warranty and will replace your grenaded engine with a brand new rocker arm...and it will be identical in design and materials to the one that broke all on its own in the first place. Wink

Yes, the OP asked about Crane, H-S and Scorpion. I was just stating that I really wanted Jesel's but settled for Scorpions due to budget concerns but was happy with them overall. As for the Explosive device. Yea, they all are when buzzing that sort of RPM.. Laughing My rear puckered everytime, but not because of my choice of rockers. The vid link was simply to show that I successfully ran Scorps for several years in a High rpm motor. It sounds like I had better luck with them then you have had.

To the OP, I apologize, I had no intentions of derailing this thread.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce March 24th 2016, 4:29 pm

No apologies are needed, I enjoy the banter back, and forth whether it's negative , or positive! I wasn't sure if the the Scorpions were off shore, or American made - and now I know. For my application which will be a "sunny day cruiser", that just might see the drag strip once just to see how she will do, I think the Scorpions will do the job. If I was driving that pulling rig, my butt hole would pucker too, regardless what rockers I was running (LOL). Thank you everybody for your pro's, and con's - much appreciated!

Wayne

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  99zx9r March 24th 2016, 10:17 pm

HorsinAround wrote:Not gonna argue with you Paul. I know you have built way more engines than I have. I can only post my experience with them. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have installed Jesel's but decided to put the money elsewhere. Below I posted a link to my Youtube channel, and you can see that we buzzed the motor, and the scorpions handled the job nicely. I ran an .800 lift cam with Manley nex tech triple springs.

Cool vids...you guys sure work those motors hard.

As for scorpion rockers, I've had them on multiple builds with no issues. Most recently we put them on an ~800hp 557 that will spin over 7000 rpm. Frankly, I'm more concerned with the factory (4-bolt conversion) D0VE-A block than the rocker arms.
99zx9r
99zx9r

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down