BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lexan windows in stock Fox body doors

+2
whatbumper
BigRigTech
6 posters

Go down

Lexan windows in stock Fox body doors Empty Lexan windows in stock Fox body doors

Post  BigRigTech April 18th 2016, 10:28 pm

I bought a sheet of 1/8" lexan when I had to make a rear window for my Cervini fiberglass hatch and I think I have enough left to make 2 windows for the doors. Can you fab something up on gutted stock doors to make this work? If so does anyone have any pictures of how to do it or a link to a some instructions?

Back to top Go down

Lexan windows in stock Fox body doors Empty Re: Lexan windows in stock Fox body doors

Post  whatbumper April 18th 2016, 10:47 pm

We ran Lexan in stock glass regulators and everything back in the day. Just shove them up in the window felt and put you some little metal tabs to hold it up. Won't take much.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Lexan windows in stock Fox body doors Empty Re: Lexan windows in stock Fox body doors

Post  BigRigTech April 18th 2016, 10:57 pm

I was looking to make it flush mount like the hatch window if I could. It's not a real "flush" mount but you know what I mean.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle April 19th 2016, 1:42 pm

Carboard template is your best bet then. Use some flush mount fasteners and drill tap the outer window support...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky April 19th 2016, 9:59 pm

Replacing the glass with lexan and being able to raise and lower the window like stock would be pretty slick.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech April 19th 2016, 10:32 pm

My windows are welded up in the doors, the regulators are long gone LOL...I would like to see the window fastened to the door so that in the event of a wreck it won't just fly out if it went on it's side. I'm thinking it's safer if the window stayed intact on the door...I might be crazy but that's what I'm hoping to do.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications April 20th 2016, 11:17 pm

I just did mine this past winter. I gutted all the trim and weatherstrip then had to add a 1/2" strip around the perimeter of the window opening to mount the window to. I also deleted the side mirrors and exterior door handles as well. I think it looks pretty slick now.

Lexan windows in stock Fox body doors 4441F59D-CAD6-4F90-BB62-CDD789994160_zpsqqd7rv0h[/Lexan windows in stock Fox body doors F3E5997C-90CA-4FEB-AD4B-94D15BC63F5F_zpsnfnlkfoy
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr April 20th 2016, 11:54 pm

That looks great nice job!!
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech April 21st 2016, 11:19 am

That looks great and thats what want to do. Do you have any pics of the 1/2" strip install?
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications April 21st 2016, 12:27 pm

BigRigTech wrote:That looks great and thats what want to do. Do you have any pics of the 1/2" strip install?

I don't have a real good pic but you can kind of see it here. I cut some 16 GA sheetmetal strips on the sheer and welded them to the existing door frame.
Lexan windows in stock Fox body doors CE623373-B76B-4EEA-8C48-2A83E3E57D3A_zpsrr0ciutj
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech April 21st 2016, 1:54 pm

Is the window mounted to the metal strip or is there a foam strip in between them? That's how I did my rear hatch window.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications April 21st 2016, 3:45 pm

BigRigTech wrote:Is the window mounted to the metal strip or is there a foam strip in between them? That's how I did my rear hatch window.

I mounted it straight to the metal strip. Foam is a good idea to help prevent leaks but in this situation it would have made the window stick past the window frame too much and I tend to me kind of anal about that stuff and wanted it as flush as possible so I left it alone. I never wash my car with anything other than some spray on detailer and a hand cloth anyways so I wasn't too worried about it being sealed.
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down