BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scored some Lunati Cams

2 posters

Go down

Scored some Lunati Cams Empty Scored some Lunati Cams

Post  SLord82 April 19th 2016, 5:34 pm

Scored a couple cams on the cheeeeeeeeeeeap from a local guy, and I'm hoping to use one in my stock '96 EFI shortblock big valve dove build.

1st cam is a Lunati 31604 - 275/285, Lift .550/.560 110lsa

This one was used and the lobes show some discoloration (dark areas and shiny areas, I'm guessing from tappet travel/wear) but are smooth. The journals had some surface rust that came off easily with a scotchbrite pad and some WD-40. I like the grind on this cam for my uses but that lift has me worried with the big valve stock EFI piston combo. I'll slide it in and put some clay on the piston and see how much clearance it has. Some research shows that this was decent grind recommended by 'reputable' people for budget builds so I'm hopeful. Will stock springs take this much lift?

2nd cam is a Lunati 11603 - 284/284, Lift .500/.500 114lsa

This one is new/unused and was stored with a coat of grease on it so its in good condition. On paper, I'm not a fan of this grind and I haven't found anyone recommending this cam or even using this cam. However, if the first cam is too big or if the lobe discoloration turns out to be a bad thing, this may be just right for getting a bigger cam in this engine with minimal fuss. Also, the low lift means stock spring should work fine with them.

Anyone have any thoughts about the above cams in a stock shortblock big valve ported dove motor in a 71 Torino? Just looking for something fun for now until I can build my 547 P51 motor.

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Scored some Lunati Cams Empty Re: Scored some Lunati Cams

Post  supervel45 April 19th 2016, 6:54 pm

I will take take the first cam if you want to get rid of it. Let me know what you want in trade. I would be glad to swap it heads up with my Comp X270 also. On your lift the best thing is always to throw a solid lifter in your set up and check PTVC on it.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 April 19th 2016, 8:32 pm

Just did a quick check with the bigger cam and it cleared. Couldn't find my dial (probably lost in my move)  so I eyeballed it with a tape and had about an eighth of an inch of clay. This was without a head gasket in there.

Seems like it should clear fine with a head gasket. Only problem was the springs were just about maxed out on both sides at max lift. I'll get a head gasket in and a cheap dial and run it again and measure to be as accurate as possible.

Pics of the clay
Scored some Lunati Cams 20160413
Scored some Lunati Cams 20160412

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 April 19th 2016, 10:56 pm

I looked at that Lunati Grind after I got it's brother and was checking it's spec's. You did well my friend. Get some springs and you should be good to go. I am going to run the Comp Cams SBF 972's on mine. Not positive they are Comps. but they measure and weigh out about the same. I did not want a lot of spring pressure as I am not going to turn it over 6K likely 5,500 to 5,800rpm on rare occasions. Glad you found a cam also for a good deal.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 April 20th 2016, 2:36 pm

supervel45 wrote:I looked at that Lunati Grind after I got it's brother and was checking it's spec's. You did well my friend. Get some springs and you should be good to go. I am going to run the Comp Cams SBF 972's on mine. Not positive they are Comps. but they measure and weigh out about the same. I did not want a lot of spring pressure as I am not going to turn it over 6K likely 5,500 to 5,800rpm on rare occasions. Glad you found a cam also for a good deal.

Yeah, it looks like the matching lunati springs are only 85 bucks. But new springs on top of new lifters and everything starts adding up.. I was hoping to do this on the cheap.

I have a set of comp 954 springs that were used on a comp solid roller. They came with outer, inner and a damper in between. I wonder if just using the outer and damper would get me the right spring pressure?

Edit: Just called the comp help line and they didn't know the spring rate on just the outer spring. Said they would call me back. lol!

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 April 20th 2016, 7:37 pm

I told you to get those new Comp lifters for $30 bucks. I dicked around to long and only got one set. You could just put your 954's on a spring tester and see where they are at. I am not real big on heavy springs on some of these mild cammed deals deals that are more or less crusiers and don't see a lot of RPM. To each their own though.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 April 20th 2016, 8:34 pm

I actually did grab those lifters thanks.

I don't have a spring tester to test them with.

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 April 20th 2016, 9:40 pm

SLord82 wrote:I actually did grab those lifters thanks.

I don't have a spring tester to test them with.

Your welcome I am glad someone around here grabbed them, I don't feel bad about letting them go now. Must be a machine shop in your area with a spring tester? My Comp. catalog hows a #954 at 195 on the seat and 515 at 1.250". I bet it would be pretty stiff with the inner spring out, and a wild guess would be over 300lbs open.

PS: your first Lunati cam is on a 110LSA and mine is on a 108LSA. Are you positive about that? I could have sworn they made a dual pattern with those spec's on a 108 also but maybe they make both? They changed the part number on mine after the buyout and it's in the Bare Bones line now I believe. Either way it should be a pretty nice cam.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 April 20th 2016, 10:03 pm

I was thinking/hoping the same thing, without the inner spring it would be around 300-350 lbs, which is what Lunati specs for the cam.

110lsa is what I've found for the 31604

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 April 20th 2016, 11:14 pm

Your right it is on a 110/106. I like my 108/104 better for my setup and low compression deal. I could not get you cam card to show up for some reason to look at the ABDC event but, it is likely in the 40's. Nice all around cam though.

https://www.lunatipower.com/CamSpec.aspx?p=07161

Here's my cam card. Maybe you will have better luck with the cam library if you try to look it up.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 April 20th 2016, 11:20 pm

PS: My springs are at 110 and 285 or so. Yes they want a little more for my cam but, cam companies are bad about not wanting to make a lot of different springs and listing a little heavier one then needed especially Comp Cams with their dual spring on a 280H10, I think. I would really have those 954's weighed before you slap them on there, they are a 1.540" spring and may be overkill?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 April 20th 2016, 11:29 pm

If you do buy some I would probably skip the Lunati's and get these. The 924's are a pretty big jump it seems, for they way Comp spec's their cams?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-Cams-Valve-Spring-Set-926-16-Fits-Big-Block-Ford-and-Some-AMC-Brand-New-/291722439984?hash=item43ec032d30:g:CpYAAOSwoudW-YuZ&vxp=mtr

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down