BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thicker head gasket to lower compression

2 posters

Go down

Thicker head gasket to lower compression Empty Thicker head gasket to lower compression

Post  strokedmyford May 16th 2016, 3:30 pm

I have on hand a flat top 502 short block going to be used for a propane build that never happened. I have a customer wanting a BBF for his daily driver 4X4, he was wanting to run pump gas. I was thinking of using some 95cc edelbrocks, .080 head gaskets to get the compression down. My concern is using a thicker head gasket to achieve my goals going to cause other issues with the large quench distance? I don't have a camshaft yet but I'm thinking it will be on the small side for good drivability. Any thoughts or other ideas appreciated.
strokedmyford
strokedmyford

Back to top Go down

Thicker head gasket to lower compression Empty Re: Thicker head gasket to lower compression

Post  rmcomprandy May 16th 2016, 3:53 pm

strokedmyford wrote: I have on hand a flat top 502 short block going to be used for a propane build that never happened. I have a customer wanting a BBF for his daily driver 4X4, he was wanting to run pump gas. I was thinking of using some 95cc edelbrocks, .080 head gaskets to get the compression down. My concern is using a thicker head gasket to achieve my goals going to cause other issues with the large quench distance? I don't have a camshaft yet but I'm thinking it will be on the small side for good drivability. Any thoughts or other ideas appreciated.

YES ... any more total quench clearance than about .065" will have almost no quench benefit at all.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Thicker head gasket to lower compression Empty Re: Thicker head gasket to lower compression

Post  strokedmyford May 18th 2016, 9:58 am

Thanks for the reply.
strokedmyford
strokedmyford

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum