BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need speed secrets

+6
bbf-falcon
DILLIGASDAVE
FalconEh
gmsmkr
Mike R
maverick
10 posters

Go down

need speed secrets Empty need speed secrets

Post  maverick June 2nd 2016, 4:57 pm

My buddy with a '78 Camaro says it's a badass ride. He's got headers and a 3/4 cam...he figures it makes 600-650 hp.  I know it's been lightened some since it has a garbage bag for a back window. He's planning to run high to mid 8 second quarter mile times as soon as he gets his drivers license back so he can drive it to the track.

Well, not to be outdone by a Chebby guy, I acquired a '74 Town Car with a smogger 460.  I plan to to run Pike's Peak with it next year so I' m looking for tips from you savvy racers. Do you think a pair of glass packs and one of them air intake "tornado" thingies can make this land yacht competitive? I'm not afraid to ditch some weight, either, as the car has no spare tire and I've already peeled off the vinyl top.

And yes, I've already flipped the air cleaner lid upside down.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

need speed secrets Empty Re: need speed secrets

Post  Mike R June 2nd 2016, 7:03 pm

Dave's got just what you need https://www.429-460.com/t24708-572-for-trade. This with a couple of rusty Holleys off Ebay and a procomp 2x4 intake and you've got a winning combo. You probably should get two different size carbs, it'll make more torque.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr June 2nd 2016, 7:42 pm

I got a vortech here just needs a home it's T- trim should choke it down real nice What a Face then we can throw some lowering springs on it.

You can do mods to window also just use clear garbage bags all the way around also every sticker you have adds 50hp and if it's not a speed shop sticker it's 75hp Razz Razz
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh June 2nd 2016, 8:03 pm

You got this!...remove the headlight's and mount 4 pieces of dryer vent hose to the buckets and run to the air cleaner so you have the hidden headlight ram air at higher elevations, line it up backwards and do a "Rosco" turn at the 330' for a better launch, add 4-cans of engine tune up, put some 60 series bias ply tires all around, add a Predator carb, and a super coil, wash the grease off the wheel bearings with carb cleaner spin them dry with air and lightly coat them with Slick 50. then put this in the cassette player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAFKsQkfSY0 , turn on the air conditioning, and put a few Red bulls in the cup holders Laughing
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE June 3rd 2016, 4:03 am

Don't forget the speed-holes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ja6Hn8ps4

Plus other assorted auto parts/tools.

http://kalecoauto.com/
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 3rd 2016, 4:26 am

Don't forget to add 1 additional can of octane boost. That's at least 50 horses right there,Especially with that monster 3/4 cam. If you go w/FULL race cam you can run Ethyl fuel.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing June 3rd 2016, 8:46 am

Poor mans NOS. run a extra piece of gas line from inside the car to top of the carb and spray it with ether ie starting fluid. Ps. I have seen this done. Lol
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE June 4th 2016, 3:40 am

dr's wife racing wrote:..........starting fluid.....

On a serious note in a pinch starting fluid/ether spray cleans gunked parts almost as good as brake clean does. Shocked Wink
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick June 4th 2016, 10:07 pm

FalconEh wrote:You got this!...remove the headlight's and mount 4 pieces of dryer vent hose to the buckets and run to the air cleaner so you have the hidden headlight ram air at higher elevations, line it up backwards and do a "Rosco" turn at the 330' for a better launch, add 4-cans of engine tune up, put some 60 series bias ply tires all around, add a Predator carb, and a super coil, wash the grease off the wheel bearings with carb cleaner spin them dry with air and lightly coat them with Slick 50. then put this in the cassette player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAFKsQkfSY0 , turn on the air conditioning, and put a few Red bulls in the cup holders Laughing  

Trying to do this on a budget. Engine tuneup and used tires ain't cheap.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh June 4th 2016, 10:57 pm

Okay, you will have to pull all the stops then, guessing you or a friend has a still or a few emergency jars hidden for emergency so you have the good fuel, and if you get your buddy to rev the engine and you piss short bursts into the carburetor it will de-carbon the engine and there is no need for the tuneup in a can, as for the tires this will Suck but you are going to have to use the remaining dryer vent hose to relocate the air conditioning to the current tires so it will get hot in the car, finally get rid of the bitch seat, and the bed in the back this is racing. Laughing
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 June 5th 2016, 1:44 pm

put K/N filter on it with the tornado thingy should add another 30 to 40hp then put them turbo whistlers in the tail pipes and get another 10hp just from the sound Suspect
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt June 5th 2016, 3:50 pm

Aviation Gas will make it fly.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues June 5th 2016, 10:40 pm

[quote="maverick"]My buddy with a '78 Camaro says it's a badass ride. He's got headers and a 3/4 cam...he figures it makes 600-650 hp.  I know it's been lightened some since it has a garbage bag for a back window. He's planning to run high to mid 8 second quarter mile times as soon as he gets his drivers license back so he can drive it to the track.

Well, not to be outdone by a Chebby guy, I acquired a '74 Town Car with a smogger 460.  I plan to to run Pike's Peak with it next year so I' m looking for tips from you savvy racers. Do you think a pair of glass packs and one of them air intake "tornado" thingies can make this land yacht competitive? I'm not afraid to ditch some weight, either, as the car has no spare tire and I've already peeled off the vinyl top.

And yes, I've already flipped the air cleaner lid upside down.[/quot

High to mid second quarter mile with 600-650 hp?????? Mad lol!
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE June 6th 2016, 3:45 am

69F100 wrote:........then put them turbo whistlers in the tail pipes........

tha wissles go WOOOOOOOOOOO Razz
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down