BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broke an Intake valve yesterday..............but WHY?

+3
D. Sea
maverick
Race Ready Fabrications
7 posters

Go down

Broke an Intake valve yesterday..............but WHY? Empty Broke an Intake valve yesterday..............but WHY?

Post  Race Ready Fabrications June 13th 2016, 10:55 am

So, I had a great weekend at US60 and decided to race at my home track yesterday.  All was well and the car was backing up numbers all day.  Was driving up for 3rd round of eliminations when the motor started to make a helluva racket so I immediately turned it off and pushed it back to the pits.  Pulled the valve covers off and the number 7 intake rocker was loose and the valve spring was stuck down.  There is no unusual wear on any of the valve train and I'm almost at a loss as to why this happened. (Thank God it didn't happen at 7,000 RPMS).  My dad believes that possibly the alky dried out the guide and the valve hung open and smacked the piston.  

Also of note: this cylinder had a couple of gouge marks from flying debris but also appears to be cracked as well.  I'm assuming the crack is collateral damage and not a previous issue.  

Broke an Intake valve yesterday..............but WHY? 046_zpskowbaib4
Broke an Intake valve yesterday..............but WHY? 043_zpsezwqligh
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Broke an Intake valve yesterday..............but WHY? Empty Re: Broke an Intake valve yesterday..............but WHY?

Post  maverick June 13th 2016, 11:03 am

looks like a deal similar to a friend's MoPar a few years ago. With fresh Indy heads and a brand new set of Ferrea valves, an intake valve broke off at the stem just like yours. We couldn't find any other obvious cause. Unfortunately for my friend, his occurred at about 6800 rpm. I think he saved the intake maninfold...and not much else.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Broke an Intake valve yesterday..............but WHY? Empty Re: Broke an Intake valve yesterday..............but WHY?

Post  D. Sea June 13th 2016, 11:23 am

Bummer...

Your car was working really well this weekend. Did you guys find out what's wrong with your dads car?
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications June 13th 2016, 11:39 am

D. Sea wrote:Bummer...

Your car was working really well this weekend.   Did you guys find out what's wrong with your dads car?

Thank you.

Broke the cam pin. He's got one head off so far and there's one bent intake valve and 4 bent exhasut........ No Rolling Eyes
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 13th 2016, 12:02 pm

Usually, a valve bends then on the following revolutions it breaks; (it is now side loading the stem when on the seat and even at 1,000 RPM it is opening and closing at over 8 times per second) ... sometimes they do just break due to metal fatigue.

The cracked cylinder is most probably later damage from the broken valve head.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 June 13th 2016, 1:28 pm

Surprised dang that sucks! Hopefully you can save the head.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications June 13th 2016, 4:28 pm

cool40 wrote:Surprised dang that sucks! Hopefully you can save the head.

Charlie's got his work cut out for him for sure Crying or Very sad
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt June 13th 2016, 5:49 pm

Race Ready Fabrications wrote:My dad believes that possibly the alky dried out the guide and the valve hung open and smacked the piston.  

Do what?? What kind of guides do you have?

Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  JACKAZZFLATZ June 14th 2016, 9:44 am

Real sorry to hear that ..
The Mustang is just awesum, and your dad's car is just plain cool.
JACKAZZFLATZ
JACKAZZFLATZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down