BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running HOT

5 posters

Go down

Running HOT Empty Running HOT

Post  Obnoxus August 3rd 2016, 7:07 pm

I just completed a 521 cu in stroker build and it's running about 230 deg while at cruising speed 25 to 45mph on a 65deg day. It will also overheat sitting at an idle. I haven't taken it much faster yet for fear of boiling over. The engine block is a 1974 vintage, heads are 1968 cast iron. I'm running a 160deg thermostat with a 19"X34" aluminum radiator with twin electric fans, headers, dual 450cfm holley carbs on a tunnel ram intake, Mother Thumper cam, factory serpentine belt set up off of a 95 460 using the 95 vintage waterpump mounted on the 74 vintage timing chain cover, MSD distributor & 6AL box. Trans is a C-6 with a 2000-2500 stall converter. I got an engine gasket kit free from a friend but it turned out to be for a fuel injected engine. I found this out after I had the motor in the car. We compared new head gaskets and couldn't see any differences between the two. I have been told they won't interchange but I can't see why. Is there really a reason they won't work? Is there something I missed with mating up the 95 waterpump to the 74 timing chain cover? Any other suggestions? This combination was installed in a 1989 Crown Victoria station wagon.

Obnoxus

Back to top Go down

Running HOT Empty Re: Running HOT

Post  billandlori August 3rd 2016, 8:42 pm

Sounds like a wild combo!!

The biggest issue seems to be getting all the air out, is the rad the highest spot in the system? Sometimes jacking the front of the car up will help it burp!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh August 3rd 2016, 10:46 pm

If you have a Thermo-temp gauge (laser) check side to side Exhaust and see if one side is hotter (potential gasket problem), is the serpentine belt ran correctly over the WP pulley or is it reversing the rotation, remove the thermostat and check if temps diminish. Is the timing correct, and is the cap holding pressure or does it bleed it off. A few things to look at as well as the air lock mentioned.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Running HOT Empty Running Hot

Post  Obnoxus August 3rd 2016, 10:56 pm

I will try jacking up the car, the upper hose has a bend in it that is a little above the radiator. I pulled the thermostat without draining the radiator any more than just below the upper hose connection and there was antifreeze filling the manifold right to the bottom of the thermostat. I will also check the exhaust temps side to side. The timing is at 11 deg btdc. I have also been richening the carbs which has helped a little. Thanks for the help

Obnoxus

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 4th 2016, 9:23 am

The biggest mistake that first time big block Ford builders make is that ONE head gasket is installed upside-down and causes overheating.

The SQUARE corners on the lower edge of the head gaskets are supposed to go toward the front of the engine and the round corners to the rear.; (one gasket side is reversed from the other side).

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Running HOT Empty Running Hot

Post  Obnoxus August 4th 2016, 11:01 pm

Just an update. I am narrowing it down to an air flow problem. First of all I discovered tonight that there was a plastic, factory block off plate on the backside of the grille. It covered
the top 1/4 of the grille opening. After removing this, I drove down the highway at 65mph 2500rpm and the temp never got over 190. when I slowed down and stopped it climbed to 230 but dropped back to 210 when I got moving at 25-35 mph. Back on the highway and the temp dropped back to 190.

Obnoxus

Back to top Go down

Post  mlp911 August 4th 2016, 11:14 pm

sounds like you may not have enough fan. i run a spal fan number IX-30102052 and built another shroud to seal it to the entire core. runs cool with my 572
mlp911
mlp911

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down