BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

icon forged pistons

+5
rmcomprandy
Lem Evans
kjebba
dfree383
mudtrucker
9 posters

Go down

icon forged pistons Empty icon forged pistons

Post  mudtrucker August 14th 2016, 12:58 pm

Anybody got any input on icon piston?
mudtrucker
mudtrucker

Back to top Go down

icon forged pistons Empty Re: icon forged pistons

Post  dfree383 August 14th 2016, 1:10 pm

mudtrucker wrote:Anybody got any input on icon piston?

Company started by JE's founder after he sold JE I believe.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjebba August 14th 2016, 4:18 pm

The guy that sold JE started Race Tech. Dont know who running or started Icon
kjebba
kjebba

Back to top Go down

Post  kjebba August 14th 2016, 4:20 pm

This is fom Icons website.

United Engine and Machine Company was started in 1922 in Fresno, California by Deuta Sulprizio, Sr. For eight years, the company continued to grow and build a reputation for the manufacturing of pistons. Then in 1930 the company was moved to San Leandro, California in order to supply OEM manufacturers located on the West Coast.

The company continued to grow until the start of the World War II. During the war, the company's emphasis changed. No longer were they solely a piston manufacture. The company started supplying special marine applications for PT boats and some small munitions, such as incendiary bombs.

Following the war and the death of the founder in 1946, the company once again directed its efforts back to pistons. Management was now handled by the sons, Ray, Deuta and Chal Sulprizio.

The company continued to grow with its strength built on flexible management and its ability to design and build its own equipment at considerable savings. This philosophy carried the company through the 50's, 60's and 70's. But in the late seventies it became apparent that the cost of doing business in the Bay Area was becoming far too high. If United Engine and Machine Company was to stay competitive in domestic, as well as world markets, it must make a change.

The company relocated to Carson City, Nevada in 1978, where it has continued to grow. Since it's move, United Engine has continued to look at it's role in the domestic and world market. Currently, UEM manufactures the Silv-O-Lite OE aftermarket piston line, KB Performance Pistons (including the motorcycle division), and The Claimer Performance Piston Series. United Engine and Machine Company is now enjoying more than 80 years in business.
kjebba
kjebba

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 14th 2016, 4:34 pm

kjebba wrote:The guy that sold JE started Race Tech. Dont know who running or started Icon

cheers You are correct.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 14th 2016, 6:59 pm

kjebba wrote:The guy that sold JE started Race Tech. Dont know who running or started Icon

To clarify what has already been said here:

Icon is a satellite company of "United Engine & Machine"; Silv-o-lite, Keith Black, Icon.

Wayne Brooks was the force behind "JE Pistons" and he now started "Race Tec / Auto Tec".

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mudtrucker August 14th 2016, 9:02 pm

Are they good quality, how do they compare to other brands. I have found two different flat tops for a 4.5" stroke. one is 568 grams and the other is 550 grams, both use a 141gram wrist pin.http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/catalog/product_compare/index/#
mudtrucker
mudtrucker

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 15th 2016, 1:25 pm

mudtrucker wrote:Are they good quality, how do they compare to other brands. I have found two different flat tops for a 4.5" stroke. one is 568 grams and the other is 550 grams, both use a 141gram wrist pin.http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/catalog/product_compare/index/#

There are a whole lot more than just 2 for that stroke.
Flat top - different cc dished, step-dish and for using different cylinder head intake valve locations.
When there is a change to the crown,  so does the piston weight change.

They are decent quality.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl August 16th 2016, 5:04 pm

Icon makes a good piston. I've used "several" sets, including the 4.500 bore variety. Made in Mexico, but I haven't seen a single issue with the ones that have passed through my hands. If they have exactly what you need, they're a good option for a milder build. If you need custom options, upgraded pins, etc. or you want "made in the USA", you'll need to look elsewhere, like Diamond or Racetec/Autotec.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  mudtrucker August 16th 2016, 7:30 pm

thanks for the info!
mudtrucker
mudtrucker

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell August 17th 2016, 9:12 am

I've always been impressed with the Icon line. Good quality piston with many features you won't find on other equally priced parts. They're very durable. I've seen them take abuse that would have destroyed other pistons and they stayed in one piece.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr August 17th 2016, 2:46 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:

To clarify what has already been said here:

Icon is a satellite company of "United Engine & Machine"; Silv-o-lite, Keith Black, Icon.

Wayne Brooks was the force behind "JE Pistons" and he now started "Race Tec / Auto Tec".

To clarify it even more, I offer this.
During my time at JE , a "former" design engineer for UEM/KB applied at JE for a forging design position. Turned out he knew very little about forging design but was a "quick learner" . After about a year of on the job training . he became "homesick" and went back to UEM/KB. The following year ICON Pistons were "born". I'm sure it was just a coincidence NOT. JE management was very upset over the deal. ICON parts are "economy minded" forged pistons similar to TRW offerings of the past. They have their place . They do not do any custom work.

JE was sold in 2000 to Dover Corp a major wall street company. Wayne was under a 7 year non compete clause and started Racetec some time after it expired.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 18th 2016, 8:54 am

From what I have been told by a lot of people in this business,
ICON is getting a lot of business from those who would have normally gone to PROBE for their pistons.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell August 18th 2016, 9:02 am

rmcomprandy wrote:From what I have been told by a lot of people in this business,
ICON is getting a lot of business from those who would have normally gone to PROBE for their pistons.
Icon has a much larger selection of harder to find "odd ball" pistons that bigger brand names don't carry. I'd use an Icon before a JE/SRP.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 18th 2016, 8:45 pm

I am running KB Icon pistons in my 552 so far no problems
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content