BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine limiter with front exit headers

4 posters

Go down

Engine limiter with front exit headers Empty Engine limiter with front exit headers

Post  jbozzelle February 19th 2017, 10:35 pm

I picked up a set of front exit headers and they run through my engine limiters. Was going to shorten them and run them aft but realized I still have the trans crossmember in the car. It's a typical chassis car crossmember with the small tab on it that the trans mount bolts to. I'm using front and mid plates and need limiters. Would the crossmember fill the need of the limiters or would I risk cracking the trans case by tying the tail housing down tight like that?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Engine limiter with front exit headers Empty Re: Engine limiter with front exit headers

Post  cool40 February 20th 2017, 1:01 am

Can you not run the limiters back? A c4/c6 can stand a lot and an aftermarket glide case will also Wink I like to tie the Midplate in with the firewall and dash bar if possible also.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Engine limiter with front exit headers Empty Re: Engine limiter with front exit headers

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 20th 2017, 4:56 am

Only auto trans case I would gamble on using as a travel limiter attachment point (or as the "limiter" it's self) is the thicker aftermarket SFI stuff.

If you're current limiters attach to the side of the block (and point forward) can you instead point them backward and attache them to the tubing of the mid plate mounting tree (if a mid plate tree is used) or to the frame rails?

You can usually use a 1/4 aluminum mid plate as a for/aft travel limiter as long as the mid plate it's self (and it's chassis attachment points) is real narrow/small footprint. A wide mid plate can't be used as a limiter because the wider it is the more it will flex forward and back under load bending the mid plate.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 29th 2017, 11:28 am

I've got the engine/trans back in the car and I really only have room for one limiter on the passenger side. Is one limiter acceptable on a 1/4" aluminum front plate and 1/8" steel mid plate?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  away March 29th 2017, 4:54 pm

I don't have a limiter in either of my cars. Front plate, Mid plate, and solid tranny mount. Come to think about it I have seen very few cars with one.

Adrian
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 March 29th 2017, 10:24 pm

You can get away with a solid trans mount till your 60' gets under 1.2,IMO. It all depends on how wide your plates are,wider makes for more movement,and exactly how the Midplate is mounted. I ran 5.60's with solid trans mount for a long time.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down