BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel stands for working under the car

5 posters

Go down

Wheel stands for working under the car Empty Wheel stands for working under the car

Post  Tomasw March 13th 2017, 10:53 pm

I saw a post on a different forum where a guy had built a set of these, and since I want to start doing my sub frame connectors and weld my torque boxes I figured it would be a good idea to build a set. So I went to the lumberyard on Saturday, picked up some material and started building.

Wheel stands for working under the car 20170313_212423
Tomasw
Tomasw

Back to top Go down

Wheel stands for working under the car Empty Re: Wheel stands for working under the car

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 14th 2017, 2:09 am

Using tall wheel/tire block supports are ideal for doing stuff like assorted chassis adjustments and such, (anything needing the car's weight compressing the suspension to ride height to mimic it sitting on the ground).

But they should never be used to do any chassis fabrication (subframe connectors, cage, etc, etc). This is because any differences in the compressed suspension height/spring rates could induce chassis/body twist-bow that will end up being permanently set in stone once the welding is done.

To insure the finished chassis/chassis work is as straight & square as possible (when working "off the floor") all chassis fabrication should be done on tall jack stands placed either (A) under the rocker panels, or (B) under the frame rails, and then shimmed/leveled side-to-side.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Wheel stands for working under the car Empty Re: Wheel stands for working under the car

Post  JACKAZZFLATZ March 15th 2017, 10:17 am

Lookin good. You'll luv 'em for chassis adjustments later. I really like mine.
JACKAZZFLATZ
JACKAZZFLATZ

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 March 15th 2017, 8:15 pm

I built a set out of 12" wide shelving board. Makes setting up a chassis a lot easier! My buddy has a set that are 10" tall, when we use scales we put the scales on his set and use my taller ones behind his to be able to roll the car back and forth while making changes.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomasw March 16th 2017, 5:17 pm

I was thinking about building another set as well for scaling, but its going to be a while before i get that far
Tomasw
Tomasw

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech March 23rd 2017, 9:46 pm

I have wheel dollies under my car when I'm not racing it so I just put 2 pieces of 6x6, 18" long on top of each of them and set the car on that. I can roll under the car with a creeper no problem and I can still push the car around too. Very Happy
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomasw March 23rd 2017, 10:05 pm

I never thought of doing that, it would be handy to be able to push the car around.
Tomasw
Tomasw

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech March 23rd 2017, 10:24 pm

Just make sure you put cleats on both sides of the tires if you pull the driveshaft LOL...I have my car torn apart. Wink
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down