BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Residual Brake vale

3 posters

Go down

Residual Brake vale Empty Residual Brake vale

Post  Tore May 6th 2017, 8:26 pm

I was wondering if adding a residual brake valve to back drum brakes will help with a spongy pedal?
I have willwood front disc brakes and Wilwood master cyl and the pedal seems a little spongy,

Would this help?

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Residual Brake vale Empty Re: Residual Brake vale

Post  DILLIGASDAVE May 8th 2017, 5:07 am

Aftermarket residual brake valves usually help if the brake fluid is draining back from the calipers/wheel cylinders to the master cylinder (if say the m/c is mounted lower than the calipers or wheel cylinders). If used the aftermarket residual brake valves are usually 2lb (disk brakes) or 10lb (drum brakes).

Any chance there is still air in the system? Or the wrong size m/c? Or the wrong brake pedal ratio? Or m/c plumbed "backwards" (IE back brakes applying first before front brakes do)?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore May 8th 2017, 7:47 am

Wildwood says that its needed for the back drum brakes and it will help pedal travel. Just wondered if anyone here has been in tune with a situation like that.

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE May 11th 2017, 3:40 am

Tore wrote:Wildwood says that its needed for the back drum brakes and it will help pedal travel. Just wondered if anyone here has been in tune with a situation like that.

Tore

I have never used an aftermarket master cylinder with drum brakes so I can't really say either way. I guess you could always try a 10 pound valve and see what happens.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Residual Brake vale Empty Residual valve

Post  manofmerc May 18th 2017, 6:50 am

Tore I have that wilwood master cylinder as well on my 67 comet I installed the recommended 10 lb. residual pressure valve I have the best pedal I have ever had . Several of my buddies said you don't need it .Well I installed it and it worked for me .I little plumbing is required and lots of bleeding but it was worth it to me .

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down