BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Setting up heads to break in cam suggestions please?

3 posters

Go down

Setting up heads to break in cam suggestions please? Empty Setting up heads to break in cam suggestions please?

Post  75truck August 29th 2017, 11:30 pm

I am about to install heads on a 429.

Springs are single with a dampner.

Below the spring is a spring cup to locate the bottom of the spring.   I plan to remove the cup to lighten the spring pressure
for break in.  When I remove it the spring it will sit directly on the head.

For break in of my solid lifter cam and only running it around 2500 rpm would this work ok even though I do not have a bottom spring locator.

Or will the spring move around too much at the bottom?

Other suggestions?

Thanks to all.

Bob
Tucson

Setting up heads to break in cam suggestions please? IMG_1524

75truck

Back to top Go down

Setting up heads to break in cam suggestions please? Empty Re: Setting up heads to break in cam suggestions please?

Post  BBFTorino August 30th 2017, 12:35 am

I would keep the spring cup in place so the spring does not wobble around....when it does that it helps to wear out the valve guides sooner.
The cup is probably not thick enough to add significant spring pressure to the springs.
How wild is the cam, what is the recommended and the true spring pressures currently??
You can remove the inner damper spring to help lighten up the pressures, or get a set of weaker springs for break in purposes.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Setting up heads to break in cam suggestions please? Empty Re: Setting up heads to break in cam suggestions please?

Post  rmcomprandy August 30th 2017, 10:52 am

75truck wrote:I am about to install heads on a 429.

Springs are single with a dampner.

Below the spring is a spring cup to locate the bottom of the spring.   I plan to remove the cup to lighten the spring pressure
for break in.  When I remove it the spring it will sit directly on the head.

For break in of my solid lifter cam and only running it around 2500 rpm would this work ok even though I do not have a bottom spring locator.

Or will the spring move around too much at the bottom?  

Other suggestions?

Thanks to all.

Bob
Tucson

Well, every little bit could help but, removing that cup will simply lighten the open spring force by about 20 pounds and you'll probably have to mess with the seals.
Using a completely different set of lighter rate springs would be a lot better.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down