BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Estimate HP and Fuel Octane Requirement

+3
Wayne Pearce
zbob
Athlonia
7 posters

Go down

Estimate HP and Fuel Octane Requirement  Empty Estimate HP and Fuel Octane Requirement

Post  Athlonia September 6th 2017, 8:27 am

Hello, I have located a fresh 429 build for sale locally in my area. Wondering if I can get the experts to give me an idea of what the estimate HP of this engine would be and the octane fuel requirements. The intentions of the engine would be to put it in a street driven 73 Mustang.

The attached image and that he believes it is 10:1 compression is all the information I have so far. I believe I can purchase this for about $4k, which seams reasonable.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Estimate HP and Fuel Octane Requirement  Build_10

Athlonia
Athlonia

Back to top Go down

Estimate HP and Fuel Octane Requirement  Empty Re: Estimate HP and Fuel Octane Requirement

Post  zbob September 6th 2017, 8:36 am

I am not an engine builder but a backyard hack. however I don't see anything there but a stocker with a out of date cam shaft. a good running 5.0 in a fox would clean your clock.
....now that you have the first reply you should get a bunch more responses. bob

zbob

Back to top Go down

Estimate HP and Fuel Octane Requirement  Empty Re: Estimate HP and Fuel Octane Requirement

Post  Wayne Pearce September 6th 2017, 11:39 am

What I see is essentially a stock motor with unspecified heads, some eye candy, and Chinese rocker arms. I wouldn't spend that much for a basic stock 429.

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce September 6th 2017, 11:50 am

You should check out Wes Litrell's ad in the buy, and sell section! He's selling a .030 over 429 with much better parts for half the money you want to spend on that engine!

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  1EFF100 September 6th 2017, 9:28 pm

I agree with the other guys--that's too much money for that thing. The .050 duration isn't mentioned on the cam specs but I'd hazard a guess that it's 204/214 which make the cam and intake manifold a mismatch.
1EFF100
1EFF100

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 7th 2017, 1:57 am

"Hyper (hypereutectic) pistons for nitrous/boost applications"   Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

Meh, maybe if it's a small nitrous shot and having zero detonation, then maybe they might not turn into scattered aluminum shrapnel.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 September 7th 2017, 1:21 pm

X2- What Wayne said.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 September 7th 2017, 8:34 pm

1EFF100 wrote:I agree with the other guys--that's too much money for that thing. The .050 duration isn't mentioned on the cam specs but I'd hazard a guess that it's 204/214 which make the cam and intake manifold a mismatch.

282/292 .486/.512.............. fairly close to the specs of an old Cobra-jet cam.

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down